Amputee on a mission.

Options

Replies

• bkknights
    bkknights Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your service!!! If it wasn't for your (and your family's) sacrifices we wouldn't be the country we are!! Good luck on surpassing your goals!
  • leaffan12
    leaffan12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I got a little emotional reading your post. You are truly an amazing person! I've been a bit lazy since I completed a 5k walk this past November and could only run in intervals and so after reading your I really need to step it up!

My husband is bilateral below the knee amputee from bacterial meningitis. He walks everywhere and drives without assisted devices and I'm super proud of him but I can't help but feel guilty sometimes that I like to devote my time to fitness and sometimes I think it's not fair to him.

I've sent you a friend request (I hope that's okay).
  • ssgtamputee
    Options
    Very sore. Ouch.
  • ssgtamputee
    Options
    Crap, to much got in the way today to do Insanity, so tomorrow we have to do 2 days in one. Lucky for us the second part is all yoga and stretching.
    Wish me luck.
  • paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    GET SOME!!!!
  • ssgtamputee
    Options
    So I am a Iraq vet who had a amputation back in 2008 due to issues from blast injures from 2005. Being a amputee you have to relearn how to be active again. Well for the first two years it was hard to be active due to fit issues with my legs, then the last two years it has gotten better. My wife and I are on a mission to stay active and healthy for our son. My first goal is to get my body weight down to about 190. Thats only 10 more pounds for me to lose. The second is to be able to run a 5k. In the Marines we have to run 3 miles in under 30-28 minutes in my age range. I hated running before because I was forced to, now I want to run because I have not been able to. Its funny you want something you seem to not be able to have so easily.

Insanity here we come. I ate pancakes this morning and now I really have to pay for eating so many calories. LOL.
  • ssgtamputee
    Options
    Holy crap Insanity kicks my butt. Double day today. Ouch!
  • ssgtamputee
    Options
    I missed insanity today. good thing. my body is so tight and locked up I would have never made the cardio today. Well, tomorrow I will have to hit it hard, even that is supposed to be the day off. LOL
  • ssgtamputee
    Options
    No insanity today. Wife and I are sucking. We have to get on it, but good news I was under my calorie intake today.
    Monday is going to be a busy day. Have a happy Monday.
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    everyone here supports each other openly. im new to the site too, and am finding it easy to stay motivated on MFP. feel free to drop a friend request!
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    Thank you for all that you have done for this country! Sorry to hear about your legs, glad to hear you are making use of your new ones :)
  • ssgtamputee
    Options
    Thanks for your support everyone. It is good to motivate each other. Never quit, and no excuses.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Inspiring story! I am sure you will accomplish all of your goals!
  • ssgtamputee
    Options
    The cold is killing my motivation to run. I was doing a bit of running yesterday on the still sort of new running legs. Didn't hurt to much. I need it to be warmer to do more.
  • ssgtamputee
    Options
    Sick little boy to deal with today. Photo shoot tomorrow to wrap up from the other day. It's going to be in the teens when we go out. Ice and running legs don't do so well sometimes. LOL!
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    there are some fab exercises on youtube that do not require you to jump about and run. They are great and you burn as many calories as somebody who would be more mobile.
  • ssgtamputee
    Options
    there are some fab exercises on youtube that do not require you to jump about and run. They are great and you burn as many calories as somebody who would be more mobile.
    Swimming would be the best for me, but getting time to get to the Gym with pool has been a big issue lately. Thanks for the tip though.
  • healthyformeanMona
    healthyformeanMona Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your service to our country. And thank you to your family for their service as a family of a military person. God bless you all, and the USA! Good health on your journey to health!
  • KimLovesDon
    KimLovesDon Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You are an awesome inspiration! Thank-you for your service. I have always hated running, but now I will look to it with gratitude that I am able to do it. Thank-you for that!
  • TheNewMrs
    TheNewMrs Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Love the determination and I wish you much success on your continued journey, I'm only a week in and appreciate waking up and reading such an inspiring post...starts the day off right!