What all do you count as WATER?

Options

Replies

• JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I count green tea, herbal teas and regular water as water.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    We get water intake from a lot of foods we eat too. We don't need to be so technical. Personally, I log water intake on the little clicker button thing and anything else I drink is logged in my food log because that's how I like to keep track of it. The goal is to be hydrated, not overflowing...but seriously, drink water. I think it would be counterproductive for someone to drink 6 cans of soda a day and log those as water. Check your pee. Clear to light yellow = good.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I only drink water. boo hiisss I know yeah yeah yeah. Had to give up coffee due to a peptic ulcer. But when I did drink coffee I didn't include it in my total water count. I did however track it. Drank it black with one splenda. Over the holidays I had an occasional glass of wine but thats about it.
  • ItsDawnMarie
    ItsDawnMarie Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Besides my actual water I HAVE to count my coke zero (just one a day) and my coffee (and i add whatever creamer i use into my calories for the day) otherwise I wind up going WAY over 120 ozs a day and ill be up all night : /
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I count anything that I drink out of a cup, mug or glass, that isn't alcohol. Sometimes I count soup out of a bowl too, if I stop to think about it. Actually, a lot of the time I don't count any of it, but my body still does, so it's all good.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    H2O.
  • SLRamirez2012
    Options
    Ummm... well, I count water as water... if I add a packet to it then I count the packet in my food log. If your urine is dark yellow, drink more. water is water.. don't count coffee
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i only count vodka as water.
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it's a matter of opinion, if you drink you are hydrated. and as mentioned before certain foods also count. I personally just count pure and flavoured water. I would have just water but I'm one of these people who has phases where I love water and other's where I hate it ... so for now I'm just taking it in baby steps and limiting to pure water when I feel like I can keep up with it :)
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Water.
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    anything with caffeine is a diuretic and makes you LOSE water so best NOT to count them as water. Start chugging the water, babes! If it tastes gross, get a filter, flavour with zero calorie lemon juice, and you can count decaf teas and coffee as water.

x
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water. simple.

yes, coffee and tea have water in them - but they also have diuretic properties.

Just use your urine as a guide. As long as my urine is pale yellow - I know I'm getting enough h20.
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i only count vodka as water.

vodka is mostly water -- water and ethanol. :P
  • Prazzie
    Prazzie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That's up to you, but I count tap water, bottled water and carbonated water as water. Everything else can be listed as food or snacks (coffee, soda, milkshake, soup, etc.), so I would list those there, not as water.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    If there were no water around, and all you had to drink was cofee or tea or a sports drink, guess what??? You wouldn't die of dehydration.. Wanna know why?? Because these drinks are made of water. Never understand why people have such a hard time believing that you can count other drinks as water. On the other hand, I do not recommend coffe, soda and sports drinks as a primary source of water because of the added ingredients. Its just not good for you.

X2.

I don't shoot for a certain number. I drink when I'm thirsty and 99 percent of the time I reach for water, sometimes I add fruit, crystal light or I drink flavored sparkling water. It you add tea bags or crystal light to a cup of water it doesn't chemically change the fact that it's water. Your body doesn't have separate processing for water and water plus something else. Water is water. Plus fruits and veggies contain a good percentage of water as well. The 8 cups or die crowd needs to lighten up.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Or just skip the water counting. If your urine is pale yellow and you aren't thirsty then you're hydrated. There is no weight loss miracle to drinking large amounts of water or worrying about what is water and what isn't. Your body needs fluids to stay hydrated and it doesn't care if it's from water, tea, juice, milk, soup, a piece of fruit (did you know an apple is 85% water) or even soda.

This 100%
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    There actually isn't much (or any) scientific evidence that we all need to be chugging water all day long. At least half of the water we need to stay hydrated comes from the water content of food, particularly if we are eating lots of fruit and vegetables. The water in all other drinks is also hydrating. As others have said, as long as you aren't thirsty and your urine is pale, you are fine. I grew up in a generation in which adults weren't lugging giant bottles around in public all the time. We were all fine.
  • bunnabear
    bunnabear Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Making sure your urine is clear or pale yellow is a good rule of thumb (as several have said as did the article link posted for myths/facts). Having worked in the healthcare field for years and seeing lots of urine samples I can tell you that the vast majority of people I saw were definitely not meeting this requirement. It was very rare to see pale yellow urine and I only saw clear urine one time. There is also the rule of thumb promoted by the Mayo Clinic and other experts that if you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated - it is a delayed response similar to feeling full.
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Water...
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Most of my water count is filtered water, but I also count a mug (about 12 ounces) of coffee or tea as 1 cup of water. That's it. Other beverages I count as food.