any success stories and pics of women over 50??

Options

Replies

• DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    And coasting along on my success of my first post, here is another showing how my face changed over the year.

Aug2011-2012_zps2a0b5b20-1_zps75695b30.jpg

I didn't 'diet' - I ate a sensible 1700-2000 calories per day and just exercised to put myself into a slight deficit. I made sure that on some days I ate slightly over and other days slightly under and balanced my intake out over the week to be about 1500 calories under my maintenance levels for the week. This reassures the body that there's not a shortage of food and it can safely release the fat. I exercised to 'earn' the extra calories I wanted to eat. I spent so many years of my life on a diet roller coaster and it is finally (in my 50s) that I have learned how to safely and sustainably balance my weight with my exercise. I am healthier and fitter than I have been since my twenties - and I intend to be this healthy for as long as I can!

If you want to read a very very good book aimed at ladies our age then I can recommend 'Younger Next Year for women'. It explains how to stay fit and healthy into your 90s and it's an excellent read. It will be the best few £/$ you ever spend!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Fatpic_zpsa623a95d.jpg
    145lbssize8_zpsf713d77a.jpg
    Hello, I am 51, lost 40lbs from January 2012 until May2012. I went from a way too tight size 16 (because I refused to buy an 18) to a size 8. I lost 45+inches and have since gained about 8lbs in muscle weight. I started out walking and now I can jog 5 miles and I'm planning on entering a local 5k this summer, just so I can tell myself I did it. lol
    I have had a lot of health problems (fewer now) and stressors, but once I put my mind to it, I overcame a ton of obstacles and now I feel 20 years, maybe even 30 years younger!
    It can be done if you have the right mindset and want it bad enough. Good luck!
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Ok this is becoming addictive now that I've learned how to do this. I promise this is the last one.

Thanks to the lady who said she liked the definition in my legs. Yes, I am very proud of how toned and fit they are. After being called 'thunder thighs' in my youth, it's lovely to have a pair of pins I'm finally proud of when I'm 52. Better late than never! Here is the view from the front too - I've got my waist back as well! :smile:

jandec2012side_zps9ad67657-1_zps2e76e021.jpg
    [/quote]

jandec2012front_zps20ee7e47-1_zpscf418303.jpg
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I dont have any pics to share yet because I am in process but I am recording as I go. I have lost 13 lbs and so thankful for it and proud of it. This really works just stick with it. I think alot of it is becoming mindful on a daily basis of what I am doing and having supportive,encouraging MFP friends. Also upping my fitness goals including more regular workouts and adding some strengthening exercises with weights in. It has been slower than it really has had to be because I eat alot but if I hold back some the pounds start to drop off instead of maintaining but I am happy with maintaining too!!!
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    You all look amazing, so keep the pics coming! It just shows that being over 50 cannot stop us from being healthy again. Thank you for posting and good job everyone!
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread! I will be 50 tomorrow and have lost 52 lbs since Nov 2011 and have met some fabulous encouragers here on MFP! I am feeling sooo much younger, have lots more energy and am starting to "look" normal again. I still have 60 lbs. to go, but what a difference!!! You can do this and it is sooo worth it! I am looking forward to my post next year at being in maintenance :-).
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    Joanneweightloss_zpsa2d88d2d.jpg
    Hi Mel!
    I'm Joanne (55). I've yoyo-ed with the same 60 lbs most of my adult life.
    The picture on the left was taken 7 years ago.
    I'm now 40 pounds less, and altho I have wrinkles and flabby skin, I "feel" stronger and more "alive" than any other time in my life!
    I may not look great on the outside, but maintaining a healthy diet and active lifestyle is worth so much more.
    Blessings on your journey!
    Jo
    You look amazing Joanne, and not flabby at all. Congrats on having your hard work pay off!
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    I'm 50....soon to be 51. I lost about 22 lbs (I'm 5' 4'') so I think it's made a lot of difference losing it. I feel much better, it might take longer to 'tone up' flabby bits, but it's worth it!
    newme.jpg
    You look great! Congrats
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    before
    meandmarisa.jpg

after
    003.jpg
    Wow you look like you lost a whole person! Congrats on getting healthy and looking awesome!
  • pkdarlin
    pkdarlin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Ok this is becoming addictive now that I've learned how to do this. I promise this is the last one.

Thanks to the lady who said she liked the definition in my legs. Yes, I am very proud of how toned and fit they are. After being called 'thunder thighs' in my youth, it's lovely to have a pair of pins I'm finally proud of when I'm 52. Better late than never! Here is the view from the front too - I've got my waist back as well! :smile:

[/quote]
  • pkdarlin
    pkdarlin Posts: 149 Member
    Options

[/quote

I love it! I'm just beginning to realize I need strength training. I have been walking for years but need to add strength training.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Keeponkickin' == you are SUCH an inspiration!
  • gargisingh
    gargisingh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Joanne- You are such an inspiration! Congratulations on your healthy life + thank you so much! I forwarded your post to my mom!
    Joanneweightloss_zpsa2d88d2d.jpg
    Hi Mel!
    I'm Joanne (55). I've yoyo-ed with the same 60 lbs most of my adult life.
    The picture on the left was taken 7 years ago.
    I'm now 40 pounds less, and altho I have wrinkles and flabby skin, I "feel" stronger and more "alive" than any other time in my life!
    I may not look great on the outside, but maintaining a healthy diet and active lifestyle is worth so much more.
    Blessings on your journey!
    Jo
  • gargisingh
    gargisingh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a transformation! Thanks for sharing with us! :=) And, thanks a lot for adding about how sensibly you are managing your weight and health! :smile:
    And coasting along on my success of my first post, here is another showing how my face changed over the year.

Aug2011-2012_zps2a0b5b20-1_zps75695b30.jpg

I didn't 'diet' - I ate a sensible 1700-2000 calories per day and just exercised to put myself into a slight deficit. I made sure that on some days I ate slightly over and other days slightly under and balanced my intake out over the week to be about 1500 calories under my maintenance levels for the week. This reassures the body that there's not a shortage of food and it can safely release the fat. I exercised to 'earn' the extra calories I wanted to eat. I spent so many years of my life on a diet roller coaster and it is finally (in my 50s) that I have learned how to safely and sustainably balance my weight with my exercise. I am healthier and fitter than I have been since my twenties - and I intend to be this healthy for as long as I can!

If you want to read a very very good book aimed at ladies our age then I can recommend 'Younger Next Year for women'. It explains how to stay fit and healthy into your 90s and it's an excellent read. It will be the best few £/$ you ever spend!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm soon to be 46 so I'm certainly not in the YOUNG category anymore. I'm close enough. Thought I'd share. I've lost 110 pounds and have completely changed my body.

189520_10150152684986255_604361254_8053061_8088690_n.jpg
    fatfatfat.jpg
    scan0014.jpg
    009.jpg
    Cindywinterformal.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    all I have to say is Wow you look fabulous
    [/quote]

Much thanks. I'm still a work in progress.
  • lorilrob
    lorilrob Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look amazing!
  • mckait11
    mckait11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 59 years old. I started dieting on June 1 2012. I weighed 237 pounds ( approximately). I started using MyFitnessPal app 2-3 months afterward. The first photo is me on May 29, 2012.. My birthday. I as holding my nephew Owen. The second photo is me at Christmas, 2012 holding my nephew Owen. I credit my daughter Amy with being my inspiration, and my cheerleader. AND she is the one who suggested the app! I was last weighed in a few days before Christmas and weighed 192. I won't weigh in again until March. I find the less often I step on a scale, the better it is for me. Less stress. I judge by my clothing if I am losing weight. I went from a size 20-22 jeans to a size 14 women's. I am pretty proud of myself. My goal for now is 175. That may change.

2sb999s.jpg

zlrlow.jpg
  • Saddlebags_R_Us
    Options
    8376907683_b3e690038e.jpg
    Fat Me by WasFat_NowFit, on Flickr

8377986264_7dbd088de4.jpg
    November 10 2012 001 by WasFat_NowFit, on Flickr

54 years old from 172.4 pounds to 115 pounds
  • switchoff
    Options
    You look amazing. You are amazing. 110ibs lighter and ten years younger!
  • sianll
    sianll Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You are so right! Amazing - all of them.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!