Is there anything compareable to shakeology that is affordab

Options

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Can't imagine why anyone here needs a highly processed meal replacement, just eat real whole foods and make up a tailored supplement regime based on published research instead of propaganda. Most of the nutrients this stuff boasts you can get in real food, a few of the addtions have some scientific backing (although not in the jokes concentrations in Shakeology) but most do not. It may well work to make you healthier or feel better, but that could as easily be down to what you are taking out of your diet as what you are putting in. I see time and time again diets on here that are woefully imbalanced yet the person claims to be eating healthily. Kitchen sink product, Jack of all trades master of none. http://cdn.trek2befit.com/downloads/Shakeology Ingredients.pdf

50mg green tea extract, 50% polyphenols so they haven't even bothered to use standardised extract (90% polyphenols), no claims as to the number of viable organisms in the probiotics (should be billions), only 20% of daily needs of magnesium yet 50% of the partner calcium so potentially worsen the imbalances in the average Western diet, 3g of fibre in a meal replacement when 18g is the recommended daily minimum but 25g is better .... No claims for essential fatty acids which is more of an issue for the average westerner than a few vitamins. Since there is less than half a gram of fat there really won't be much omega-3s there which most westerners are deficient in - bearing in mind the conversion rate from short chain to the useable long chain format can be as low as 10%. 200mg of spinach powder, really???
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Wow. Pretty disappointed that most of this thread was telling the person to eat real food instead or just get a protein powder.

I'm mostly vegan & eat pretty healthy - no processed carbs, no artificial sweeteners, low sodium, no desserts, etc.

I am doing Insanity right now & get most of my vitamins & fiber etc, about 40mg of protein a day from vegetarian resources. I would like to add some more but there's only so much fresh fruit & vegetables you can buy & make in a day. Hence me wanting a supplement, liked what I saw in Shakeology, but with no income & barely able to keep my phone on, $100 a month for anything for me is out of the question.

If there are any other vegetarians out there who use something like Shakeology that has the extra protein & nutrients for a fraction of the price, please let me know. Thank you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but there is nothing that can compare to Shakeology. I know it is expensive but it is uncomparible to anything out there. Protein powder is great, but not even close to the ingredients in Shako...
    You're right. At $4 a shake, that's overkill for a prop blend.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I use visalus shakes twice a day. I lost 11 pounds in the first 6 weeks.
    So you lost weight with a calorie deficit................interesting.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Best thing comparable for less..................food. And your kids can eat it too. Can't tell me that $120 a month in real food isn't better than any shake.

IDEA Fitness member
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anybody has found anything as good.

Do you have a Sprouts market near you? Show Me The Whey vanilla tastes good, blends well and makes an excellent addition in coffee, smoothies, yogurt, etc.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Always found it funny that Beachbody being a business does not sell shakeology outside of the US.....

Hmmmm...why?

oh and it's not passed by the FDA either...

What does the FDA have to do with it? The FDA would approve rat poison in baby formula if lobbyists gave it enough $$$$$.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    ^ I wouldn't be surprised if they did. The FDA is crap - can't trust them with anything. Look at aspartame for goodness sake.
    Besides, the FDA doesn't approve vitamins or supplements in the first place.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    WHO RESUSCITATED THIS YEAR OLD THREAD?????
  • Sdmommyof3
    Options
    I drink these as well.. Tastes great! And yes I have tried others including shakeology .. I prefer GNC total lean..all flavors are good .. With vanilla flavor I add peanut butter or fruit.. All tastes delish!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    One that is comparable to Isopure Zero Carb is also at the Vitamine Shoppe called Dymatize Elite Whey Protein or 100...and is only $25-28!
    Awesome you rock thank you!

I second the Dymatize whey powders. They are quite tasty, and I use them in homemade protein bars and smoothies also.

You can add a lot of the nutrition by making your own shakes from fruit and vegetables as well. There are a lot of recipes out there if you want to do that, and it's much much cheaper than buying them pre-made.

Of course, eating more fruits and veggies is probably the easiest way to get more micronutrients in.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Wow. Pretty disappointed that most of this thread was telling the person to eat real food instead or just get a protein powder.

I'm mostly vegan & eat pretty healthy - no processed carbs, no artificial sweeteners, low sodium, no desserts, etc.

I am doing Insanity right now & get most of my vitamins & fiber etc, about 40mg of protein a day from vegetarian resources. I would like to add some more but there's only so much fresh fruit & vegetables you can buy & make in a day. Hence me wanting a supplement, liked what I saw in Shakeology, but with no income & barely able to keep my phone on, $100 a month for anything for me is out of the question.

If there are any other vegetarians out there who use something like Shakeology that has the extra protein & nutrients for a fraction of the price, please let me know. Thank you.

I am a vegetarian and do supplement my protein intake some days. I just use a whey isolate protein powder (Trutein for chocolate and Optimum Nutrition for vanilla). If you want one with less additives, try Optimum Nutrition Naturals line.

ETA: as a vegetarian, greek yogurt is your friend - you can add protein powder to it as well to sweeten it up and get even more protein.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but there is nothing that can compare to Shakeology. I know it is expensive but it is uncomparible to anything out there. Protein powder is great, but not even close to the ingredients in Shako...

does it taste like Kool-Aid?

:huh:

:tongue:
  • RBXChas
    Options
    What about Herbalife?

I bought Herbalife and became a distributor (I never sold it but only used my "distributor" status to get good discounts) about 13 years ago. I have no idea what's in that stuff (or the pill supplements) and am sort of appalled that I didn't care. However, if the OP wants to save money, Herbalife is NOT the way to go!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Real food?
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I use the GNC Lean 25 and also the GNC Total Lean shakes. Here are some of the flavors that I really like:
    Pumpkin Spice, Peppermint Mocha, Mixed Berries, Blueberries and Cream, Strawberry, Vanilla, French Vanilla, Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana. Taste great, not gritty and you can most often get them on sale sometimes as cheap as BOGO. Hope this helps. BTW great job with the weight loss!!

I like the GNC Lean line of products. I'm pregnant now, but I used to have the ready-to-drink shakes, and I would buy them when they were BOGO 1/2 off, plus because the store by me was brand new, they gave away Gold card memberships --> extra discounts during the first week of each month. They came down to less than $1/shake, and I'd have one a day at breakfast. Soy protein irritates my stomach, but these shakes have never given me trouble. They are 170 calories for 25 grams of protein (or something like that - I guess I could look it up, but I'm feeling lazy and have a puppy in what's left of my lap, so I'm typing with one hand). Swiss Chocolate was awesome, French Vanilla was pretty good, and I never tried the Strawberry one. I was told it tastes like strawberry milk, and since I was never a big fan of that, I figured I wouldn't waste my money. The stores will sometimes open one for you to let you taste it before you buy.

Plus GNC is everywhere these days, plus you can order online, often with free shipping over a certain amount.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Er.... Food?

that's just what I was going to say,,,
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    OP, I understand where you're coming from about having a protein shake right after a workout so you don't eat yourself out of house and home. I will mix a scoop of protein powder in with my water that I take for my workout, especially on the days that I end up doing a Combat class plus training with my trainer or on the days I can get in an hour on the treadmill before I start working with my trainer (those two hours add up!)
    I would suggest you talk to your health food store about what they have and their return policy. When I talked to one of the customer service people about protein powder, I explained that I didn't want to buy a huge container for $20+ only to find out I didn't like it and she told me that if I don't like it, as long as I have my receipt and haven't used more than one or two servings (I guess this shows that I didn't like it and not that I'm trying to cheat them), I can bring it back for a full refund. My store also carried a couple brands that you can get single serving packets so you could try them before you bought the big container (the two I can think of off the top of my head that mine had are Spirolean and Bluebonnet brands- can't have the spirolean because it contains soy, but the bluebonnet wasn't too bad, I got a couple packets to take with me on a business trip and they were pretty good just mixed with water)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Simply an over priced meal replacement shake. The propitiatory blend simply hides away everything found in it - meaning most of it is in tiny amounts.

Unless someone would actually like to point to the exact areas that make is so fantastic? Indeed, they use the cheapest proteins available as their source and less bio available than cheese or milk whey.
  • Bears7
    Bears7 Posts: 1
    Options
    Me and my wife started Insanity and the price of Shakeoligy is not going to happen ...If you can afford it thats fine but speaking from an American with Kiddos and a tight budget....not happening...Any ways to suppliment this shake we use our juicer (followed by a small meal) with the following..." COLLARD GREENS...BEETS (pure energy)..CARROTS...RED CABBAGE...CELERY ...NUTS...SPINICH....TOMATOES...MUSTARD GREENS...SPIRALINA....AND AN APPLE TO SWEETEN ".. we even got the kids to enjoy fresh juices .Talk about recovery and the energy this offers....I have yet to find any man made product that offers the power packed punch as these.....WARNING YOU MAY LIVE LONGER AS A RESULT