I don't want a big wedding...how do I stop this???

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    My husband is from another state, so we stressed for the longest time on how to plan a "perfect" wedding that will include family and friends from there and family and friends from here. But we realized that the only thing that mattered was being Mr. and Mrs. at the end of the day. So within two weeks, we got hitched at the county courthouse with just my parents, his parents and his best friend. After, we went for margaritas and quesadillas at Chilis, which was where we had our first date two years earlier. And THAT was perfect.

I'm the youngest of six kids, and all my siblings had been married - some more than once - before us, so my parents didn't care that I didn't want a wedding. Besides, they eloped, too. My husband is an only child, but if his parents were disappointed in our choice, we never heard a peep. They were just happy that he was doing what he wanted and was happy. And that's how it should be.

Every now and then, especially if someone I know is planning a wedding or I watch some of the TLC shows, I think, "Maybe we should renew our vows and have second wedding." I put serious thought into it a few years ago... then realized that having a kickass costume party for Halloween was more representative of our relationship than some fussy event with a puffy white dress.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that you wanted your grandfather (a retired minister) to do a blessing after a courthouse wedding. Have you thought about this (it's what my sister and BIL did since neither of them is religious, but they wanted to make some family members happy) have a small wedding (theirs was outside... in Massachusetts.. in October... I froze, but it's what THEY wanted) have your grandfather officiate (my grandfather who is a retired Episcopal priest officiated with the assistance of my Uncle who is a non denominational pastor), does not have to be in a church, can be in a back yard (a friend of mine had a lovely Hawaiian themed backyard wedding,) or at a park (hey, if I ever find Mr Right, I have a similar plan, grandfather-if he's still alive, if not I have two other priests that want to marry me off, at a park with a BBQ reception planned.)

It can be done to be what you want with a tiny concession to what the others want, just remember its YOUR wedding
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can find a small church or chapel to have the ceremony in. The other option is find the smallest one there and still only invite a few people- though I would suggest doing it at a warm time of the year or you may freeze!

At the end of the day it you, as a couple, who need to feel please. After all those little touches that make it special, hand written menus and dinner settings to the blessing you talked of, really come alive with a smaller group of people rather then the big brash weddings.

Hope you two have a beautiful life together :D
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Ugh.....can somone explain how to follow up on individual posts? not only can I make a decision about my own wedding, I cannot figure out how to do individual replies! ;)

I need to set a precedence NOW that this is our wedding, our day when it comes to how my MIL wants things done. I want simple and easy. I want a beautiful day with people I love. I don't care about showers, favors, centerpieces and stuff people are going to forget and that I clearly I do not care about.

You are all amazing and giving wonderful food for thought. This is perfect timing!

I just really want our new life to start as soon as possible. I don't think there's any sense to wait until November to have something just to say "ok, we're married now". I'm not into that. From the moment he proposed I wanted to be his wife. I would have married him wearing a potato sack the next day. At the end of the day it's about us and our union.

You guys rock, btw! :)
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    This is YOUR special day.

Who cares about pleasing everyone else?

Are you getting married so that you and your future husband can spend the rest of your lives together, or are you getting married because you want to throw a party for everyone else and spend a ridiculous amount of money on one day?

Do what YOU want.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Since neither of you seems to really know what his mother wants (sounds like you're surmising), I'd recommend his talking to her first, finding out what her expectations are, and then both of you can talk to her about the wedding you truly want.
    Also, who is paying for this whingding? If it's the two of you, or your family, then you get to say what the wedding will be.
    The most important thing, though, is that it is YOUR (you and your fiance's) day, and YOUR party.

Congratulations, and may you have a long, wonderful and fruitful life together!
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It's your wedding; do what you want to do, but there is a way to do both. You can have a small, intimate church wedding instead of being married at the courthouse. The latter seems so impersonal, and the decorations would be minimal. You could just have a lovely floral arrangement on the altar. Then you could still have your formal dinner.

My daughter thought about getting married at the courthouse, but we encouraged her to get married in a small church ceremony. I knew our family would be devastated to miss such a special event. She told me later how thankful she was, because she would have regretted that decision forever.

Best wishes on your marriage.
  • nornas42
    nornas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I got married and wanted a courthouse wedding then a nice intimate dinner with closest friends and family.

My now ex-husband and his parents pressured me so hard to have a big wedding. They actually bribed me with "The more you spend on the wedding, the more we'll pay for the honeymoon." So I had the big wedding.

I totally regret it. My parents went into debt for it. I stressed for a full year over it. I don't remember much of the day because it was so much work and so stressful that I couldn't enjoy it. It cost so much to do and the wedding is more for family & friends than for you. Why did I sacrifice so much work for something I never wanted? I'll always regret that.

This is a huge moment in your life - do it for YOU, not for anyone else's idea of what it should be. Your day, your marriage. People will have opinions on what you should or shouldn't do. They should be supporting you both in your decision. What you've listed as your plan is perfect. Not every woman wants a wedding - and that's OK.

Congratulations and I hope the day is exactly what you want.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    To me, being a grownup means making your own decisions, as opposed to having your parents (or someone else's parents) making decisions for you. I am repulsed by the idea that someone would have an opinion about how or where their grownup offspring "should" get married.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Ugh.....can somone explain how to follow up on individual posts? not only can I make a decision about my own wedding, I cannot figure out how to do individual replies! ;)

I need to set a precedence NOW that this is our wedding, our day when it comes to how my MIL wants things done. I want simple and easy. I want a beautiful day with people I love. I don't care about showers, favors, centerpieces and stuff people are going to forget and that I clearly I do not care about.

You are all amazing and giving wonderful food for thought. This is perfect timing!

I just really want our new life to start as soon as possible. I don't think there's any sense to wait until November to have something just to say "ok, we're married now". I'm not into that. From the moment he proposed I wanted to be his wife. I would have married him wearing a potato sack the next day. At the end of the day it's about us and our union.

if you hit quote, you can reply to individuals. we got married in his parents backyard, a few decorations, nice dress, 1000 bucks total. it was lovely. great pics to remember and no big bills at the end. in the end be happy with what you create, the long lasting marriage is the prize.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Use the "quote" at the bottom of the post you want to reply to... Btw, Don't wait. Winter is low season for weddings (well, except Feb. because of Valentine's day and all...)
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    You say NO. Get married how you want to get married.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I know it's easier said than done, but do what YOU want. Talk to your fiancee. And don't let the future MIL walk all over you, because you might have to deal with that for a while!
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    Do whatever your want. It's not your future MIL's wedding! :smile: She had her wedding. It's your turn. I think what you want to do sounds wonderful. :flowerforyou:
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Just break up.

bahaha.

seriously. it's your day. screw what your family wants, it's not about them, it's about you. ((speaking as someone who's currently planning my wedding))
  • diana109
    diana109 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Do what makes you both happy. Don't feel like bad because you plan your wedding the way you want, everyone wants something different and no matter what not everyone will be happy with your decisions, they need to realize it's YOUR day. Speaking from my own experience I had the big wedding that I did not want, if I could do it again I would have the intimate wedding that I did want and be happy with our wedding day. I did the mistake and had a wedding for my mom & aunt to keep them happy...it was more there day then it was mine! Do what YOU want to do not anybody else!
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    very simple..........

las-vegas-city-4-300x225.jpg
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    best thing i did was have a small wedding. Just do it! NOW!
  • sbernardy
    sbernardy Posts: 188
    Options
    very simple..........

las-vegas-city-4-300x225.jpg

This is exactly what me and my husband did .. we had a beautiful wedding in Las Vegas!!! No we did not get married by Elvis Nor did we go through a drive through.. we got married out doors.. it was beautiful.. Check out my profile.. some pictures are on there! Enjoy YOUR and YOUR HUSBANDS day because in the end that is all that matters!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    DO WHAT YOU WANT

When we started planning, I wanted the intimate ceremoney at the JP and a small formal dinner with a handful of immediate family and just the bare minimum of friends (like a total of 16 including us). The plan was to hire a photographer to document the day, and still get dressed up...still have the experience without the fanfare.

As that went on, we realized that even that was more than we wanted. So I went to my mom for a heart to heart and I told her what I was thinking and what I wanted. Due to some family members I DID NOT WANT there and the unavoidable nature of leaving them out, we "openly eloped". My parents and his mother gave their blessing and we took a week off and got married.

We went to Vegas, and hired a photographer. Had a short ceremony, dinner and a post-wedding shoot in old downtown. And then spent the week on vacation.

It was the best of everything, and eventually we will have a private dinner with only immediate family (here in a few months).

But this is about you and your finance. Make sure that it is something that you can get excited about. Otherwise you will be stressed and miserable.