Ladies only! Lol. Diet and "time of the month"

Options

Replies

• Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    You should ask Tom ... I have no clue who he is but every thread that involves this topic, a lot if people talk about him.

He gets a lot of action

Tom is a douche.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It's that time of the month of me, you know.....the big PMS. Ahhh LOL! Every month this is EXACTLY when I screw my entire diet up and eventually say f%#! it. I have non stop cravings right now and am hungry every single hour no matter what I eat. Seems like it's impossible to stay in the 1200-1400 calories I normally eat 3/4 of the month....

What do you ladies do during that time? Do you raise your calories a bit? Hold on to your willpower for dear life? HELP lol

I will eat about 200-300 calorie more, usually in the form of chocolate.
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Honestly.
    Bleeding out of an orifice for a week straight.
    Accompanied by my boobs feeling like bruised sacs of flour and throttling cramps....
    I let myself have chocolate.

Just push yourself harder next week.

Preach it!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hormones don't make you decisions. Your brain does. So simply decide which is more important. Your goals or your cravings.
    And if you feel there is something deeper going on such as PMDD, see your doctor.

If you already have a large deficit, then a few hundred extra calories for 2-3 days will NOT prevent anyone from achieving their weight loss goals. It *will* improve your mood though.
  • z2bn3sec
    Options
    I crave fast food like crazy during that time. So I have to make sure that I have snacks with me and that I'm full-ish before I go anywhere.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Hormones don't make you decisions. Your brain does. So simply decide which is more important. Your goals or your cravings.
    And if you feel there is something deeper going on such as PMDD, see your doctor.

Like someone in another thread posted, "THERE'S NO LOGIC DURING SHARK WEEK."
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I find small ways to indulge my cravings. A little chocolate, I split a bag of popcorn with a CW, I'll even have Taco Bell for lunch!!!! *GASP*

.....because I'm not going to spend the rest of my days as a fertile woman ignoring those cravings and shoving them aside. I'm going to find manageable ways to handle them in a manner that I can sustain for years to come.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It's that time of the month of me, you know.....the big PMS. Ahhh LOL! Every month this is EXACTLY when I screw my entire diet up and eventually say f%#! it. I have non stop cravings right now and am hungry every single hour no matter what I eat. Seems like it's impossible to stay in the 1200-1400 calories I normally eat 3/4 of the month....

What do you ladies do during that time? Do you raise your calories a bit? Hold on to your willpower for dear life? HELP lol

What are your cravings? I used to get terrible PMT and horrific cramps, cheese and milk were my main cravings. I realised that probably meant I was lacking calcium and sorted out my diet generally.

Cravings are usually signifiers of some deficit in your body.

I also agree with Evening Primrose Oil, it levels out your hormones a little so they don't go crazy during that week.
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You could easily allow 200 extra calories during that period and still be well under TDEE. May slow your loss slightly...but will still lose, and if it helps keep you on track overall...then it is a win. There is no reason to be miserable.

Also second the drinking lots of water and getting lots of snacking vegetables....celery sticks...carrots etc..
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Often we have cravings because of vitamin and mineral deficiencies, and during this time of the month, we may need more of something. For instance, chocolate is high in magnesium. Magnesium helps alleviate muscle soreness including soreness from cramps. What do most women crave at this time? (Chocolate)

Something that helped me was taking a magnesium supplement, especially right before, during, and after - my cramps disappeared.

Also, depending on what you are craving you might be missing other things too. Your body is doing more than it normally would and you are losing blood, which might mean more water consumption and iron and b vitamins. Also, you might need a slightly higher calorie count at this time (Not sure about this, but it would make sense that you are burning more). But only you can figure out what you need, so look at your symptoms and see what you are craving and see what's missing.

Also, exercise helps alleviate symptoms of PMS so as much as it sucks to workout at this time, working out helps.

Oh, and FYI, when I actually take the magnesium and don't forget my cravings for chocolate go away. There's nothing to fight because I am giving my body what it needs. And you don't have to do it through a supplement, you can do it through other foods.
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this also – I usually end up horribly bloated and retain a lot of water.

I can tell you my cravings have been better since I’ve stopped eating processed foods.

Watch your salt intake it makes a HUGE difference.

I end up eating more – ( I always say I eat more in this week than the other 3 combined)

But I try to eat the good stuff – a lot of fruit for my sweet tooth – like some strawberries with some whip cream doesn’t take much and it usually satisfies me.
    I’ll drink chocolate milk (sugar free)
    Or make a shake from coconut milk and fruit…soo good.

Eating more protein will also help you stay full longer as well as more water.

I also allow myself a cheat day every week – this helps.

You can also try the 2 bites rule – if you really, really want something – have two bites…sometimes that helps.

But in the end, it is what it is…do the best you can – and pick yourself back up when it passes.

Good Luck to you!
  • maria_b22
    Options
    I just drink more water but if that really doesn't help, i have fruit. Water usually does the trick for me though :smile:
  • diana109
    diana109 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I workout harder, makes everything feel better. Take something for it to ease the pain, put a heating pad, drink some herbal tea. When I'm hungry I just eat (healthier options of course like popcorn air popped) the more you fight it, you end up grumpy, irritated and in the end you chose the wrong foods.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    There are so many "ladies only" ,"Tom" ,"aunt flow threads" and a lot of time they are titled "Lol". I keep missing the funny part damnit! Who is laughing out loud and what are they laughing at?

Going into the Chit Chat section, there has to be something funny there...
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It's only once a month so I just let myself give into my cravings.

To help I don't keep junk in the house and I am too cheap to buy it lol.
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I agree with this too....I take Iron and Vitamin B. :)
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I find that exercise or being active helps my cramps..but does nothing for the viscious cravings! >.<
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I find small ways to indulge my cravings. A little chocolate, I split a bag of popcorn with a CW, I'll even have Taco Bell for lunch!!!! *GASP*
    LOLZ U SED TACOZ LOLZ
  • Shelbsta22
    Options
    Not sure if OP eats clean or not.. I typically do EXCEPT when it comes to TOM.. my suggestions Skinny Cow and Weight Watchers make pretty delish ice creams and candy bars..I know they're not the same but they're pretty darn close and if I eat one.. or two (: it won't throw off my entire day. (:
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't usually struggle with cravings like most women. I struggle more with finding motivation to workout. I generally have alot of fatigue and pretty severe cramps. Also, if I move around too much I am likely to have an embarrassing "accident".