Crock pot tips and recipes

Options

Replies

• tamerkins2
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies, and I assume it is in there already, but check out skinnytaste.com!! There are SO many yummy and healthy crockpot recipes, with nutritional info already calculated. I LOVE the chicken taco chili, turkey 3 bean chili (in my crockpot for dinner tonight!!), and cuban picadillo, to name a few. The soups - broccoli potato, stuffed pepper, loaded baked potato are really good too!!
  • char316
    char316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes. These look good
  • Niktoler
    Niktoler Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Pip_squeak
    Pip_squeak Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bumpity, Bump, Bump
  • wormy80
    wormy80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks for posting!
  • Kayciemae02
    Kayciemae02 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have one night a week where I prep loads of veg for crockpot meals then freeze it in bags so I just need to throw a bag in the crockpot in the morning and come home to yummy food. It means I can buy veg in bulk and makes weekdays far easier (I work long hours).

I bought a timer if the meal needs fewer hours than I'm at work for. I use my crockpot most days.

What kind of timer? I need something like this!
  • kayms13
    kayms13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump. Thanks for the great ideas.
  • tracym22
    tracym22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bump, thanks everyone:flowerforyou:
  • Bex2Bslim
    Bex2Bslim Posts: 1,092
    Options
    Bump
  • BoatReadyBody
    Options
    I make a super healthy vegan soup with chicken broth, beans (anyn kind will work, I used canned navy beans, rinsed and drained last time, but black beans or red beans work great), almost any kind of diced up veggie is great in there (I last used zucchini, green beans, onions, tomato, and red bell pepper). To add something to it I will toss in diced up tofu, brown rice, white rice, orzo, quinoa... whatever you're feeling. It's SO good for you. Any kind of seasoning works--I've done a curry flavored version, sometimes I'll use a more mexican mix of spices, usually use garlic.

I make a super healthy vegan soup with chicken broth

I had no idea vegan soup can have chicken broth.... might be wrong though
  • sarafay80
    sarafay80 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ribs

3-4lbs ribtips
    BBQ Sauce - just cover well, maybe like a cup

Low heat for 10 hours. If you want the sauce to stick more, throw in the oven with more sauce on top for 10 min at 450.

Traditional Roast

3-4lb chuck roast
    1 envelope lipton onion soup
    4-6 potato, cut in half
    1 small bag carrots, cut in pieces
    1/2 cup of water over top

Low heat for 10 hours. Whip up a gravy to go with it if you want. I use a packet beef gravy that is amazing and takes 5 minutes.

Pulled Pork

3-4lb pork roast
    1 can beef broth

Low heat for 10 hours. Shred with two forks, add bbq sauce and bake in oven for 30 minutes on 375 (to help sauce "stick").

Chicken and Veggies

1 whole cut up chicken
    Seasonings (whatever you like, I use Greek seasoning)
    4-6 potato cut in half
    1 small bag carrots, cut in pieces
    (use any other veggies you like)

Cook on low 10 hours.

BBQ Chicken Leg Quarters

1 package chicken leg quarters
    BBQ Sauce - enough to cover chicken

Cook on low 10 hours. If you want the sauce to stick more, throw in the oven with more sauce on top for 10 min at 450.

**Note -- we use KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce for most of the dishes. I tried Sweet Baby Rays (because I love it), but the sauce really broke down too much and didn't "stick" at all to the meat.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I make a super healthy vegan soup with chicken broth, beans (anyn kind will work, I used canned navy beans, rinsed and drained last time, but black beans or red beans work great), almost any kind of diced up veggie is great in there (I last used zucchini, green beans, onions, tomato, and red bell pepper). To add something to it I will toss in diced up tofu, brown rice, white rice, orzo, quinoa... whatever you're feeling. It's SO good for you. Any kind of seasoning works--I've done a curry flavored version, sometimes I'll use a more mexican mix of spices, usually use garlic.

Switch from chicken broth to veggie broth and then you have yourself a vegan soup :)
  • TammyArms
    Options
    Crockpot Enchiladas

1 lb ground beef
    1 c chopped onion
    1/2 c chopped green pepper
    1 can kidney beans rinsed and drained
    1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies undrained
    1 small can tomato sauce
    1 pkg taco seasoning
    1/3 c water
    1/2 t salt
    1/4 t black pepper
    1 c shredded cheese
    6 flour tortillas

In skillet cook beef, onion, & green pepper until browned. Drain. In bowl, add all other ingredients except tortillas and stir. In crockpot layer 3/4 c beef mixture, then tortilla. Repeat layers with all 6 tortillas. Cover and cook on low 5-7 hours. 6 servings

I used fat free cheese and wheat tortillas to make this 6 WW points per serving.
  • cpa6533
    cpa6533 Posts: 12
    Options
    bump.....
  • aacosta11
    Options
    Bump...Santa brought me a Crock-Pot too. Can't wait to try some of these out. Thanks to everyone for sharing!
  • kimr41
    kimr41 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Seeing a few new ones I'll have to try
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Love my crock pot!! I bought "Fix It and Forget It" -- the big book by Pellman-Goode -- and use it all the time. We also don't eat meat so many of my recipes are modified from that. Tons of recipes in it. Well worth the money (about $20 on Amazon).

Also, any slow cooking recipe like in a Dutch Oven will convert to crock pot cooking easily. I often modify a slow cooker recipe that way. It is indispensable to use for making your own vegetable stock and pasta sauce as well.

For health reasons, I limit my sodium intake to 1000mg a day, so that means I basically make everything I eat, since it's almost impossible to find pre-made food without high sodium levels, so my crockpot is my go-to kitchen appliance (in fact, I own two).
  • caroletlanyon1
    Options
    Sorry but if you are using chicken broth the soup isn't vegan
  • caroletlanyon1
    Options
    you are right