Options
    bump
  • JustAGirlyGeek
    JustAGirlyGeek Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    bump
  • caroletlanyon1
    Options
    I make my beans - Red beans or Black beans in the crock pot and use a smoked turkey leg for the meat and it is awesome. Put the dried beans and the smoked turkey leg in the crock and add chicken broth, diced onion, celery, bell pepper, jalapeno peppers, and any other veggie you like. I add a 28 oz can of whole tomatoes. Cumin, bay leaf and whatever else you want to throw in there. After it is cooked i add some cilantro.
  • RunnerLisa1
    RunnerLisa1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great & yummy ideas. Can't wait to get my crockpot out again!!!
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hpetrie
    Hpetrie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Molissa08
    Molissa08 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gabbybella27
    gabbybella27 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Crock Pot Turkey White Bean Pumpkin Chili
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 9 • Serving Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 182.6 • Fat: 2.3 g • Protein: 23.3 g • Carb: 10.9 g • Fiber: 8.8 g • Sugar: 2.1
    Sodium: 429.8 (without salt)

Ingredients:
    cooking spray (I used my Misto)
    2 lb 99% lean ground turkey
    1/2 tsp olive oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tsp chili powder, to taste
    2 bay leaves
    2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp oregano
    2 (15 oz cans) of white northern or navy beans, rinsed and drained
    15 oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
    4.5 oz canned chopped green chile
    2 cups low sodium, fat free chicken broth
    fat free sour cream for topping (optional)
    chopped cilantro and chives for topping (optional)
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Heat a large heavy saute pan over high heat and lightly spray with oil. Add meat and cook, breaking it up until white, about 5 minutes. Add to crock pot.
  • gabbybella27
    gabbybella27 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Crock Pot Turkey White Bean Pumpkin Chili
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 9 • Serving Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 182.6 • Fat: 2.3 g • Protein: 23.3 g • Carb: 10.9 g • Fiber: 8.8 g • Sugar: 2.1
    Sodium: 429.8 (without salt)

Ingredients:
    cooking spray (I used my Misto)
    2 lb 99% lean ground turkey
    1/2 tsp olive oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tsp chili powder, to taste
    2 bay leaves
    2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp oregano
    2 (15 oz cans) of white northern or navy beans, rinsed and drained
    15 oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
    4.5 oz canned chopped green chile
    2 cups low sodium, fat free chicken broth
    fat free sour cream for topping (optional)
    chopped cilantro and chives for topping (optional)
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Heat a large heavy saute pan over high heat and lightly spray with oil. Add meat and cook, breaking it up until white, about 5 minutes. Add to crock pot.
    I make a crock pot of soup and have it for lunch all week . I get alot of my recipes from www.Skinnytast.com
  • joniannbrooks
    joniannbrooks Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I go to AllRecipes.com They have great recipes and calorie counting on the recipe.

The also have comments on the recipes. Some people will alter the recipe and I find that helpful as well.
  • Wyoruby
    Wyoruby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    So need this my kids activities are keeping us really busy and it is so hard to make sure to have a healthy dinner ready and waiting!
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    thats the best way to have meat. you dont want it tough

My meat always seems to just fall apart when I cook it in the crock pot. Is there any tricks not to make it do that?

Last night I made pork chops in the crock-pot and you couldn't even eat them with a fork cause they wouldn't stay together...
    I think you're going to have that because that's what a Crockpot is all about, being able to take a cheap cut of meat and have it turn out tender, fall off the bone etc.

If you want a roast to be firmer, or whatever word you'd want to use, cooking it in the oven in dry heat would accomplish that.

Too long of cooking time will also result in some meats falling apart a bit more than you planned. Make sure your Crockpot is older than 5-7 years old and you can go by the typical cooking time on a recipe. If you have one of the newer Crockpot's, which I have (mine might be 5 yrs old or so?) they heat much differently, they cook much faster. When I put a meal in mine I have to put it on for about half of the low cooking time or it's way too much for it. Burned or stuck to the sides..

One of these Crockpot threads has a guide to the new and old models and how to cook accordingly. I think I posted it not long ago, also it gave time for switching from an oven recipe to Crockpot.
    My meat always seems to just fall apart when I cook it in the crock pot. Is there any tricks not to make it do that?

Last night I made pork chops in the crock-pot and you couldn't even eat them with a fork cause they wouldn't stay together...
    Less cooking time might solve that.. I wrote a response up above as well.

Thanks for your response. I sometimes do want my meat to be falling apart, but the other night I made bone-in pork chops and I must have cooked them too long because the bones just fell apart and the pork was in TINY pieces. You had to be careful eating in case you found a sliver of a bone... My crock-pot is only a year old so I will experiment to figure out the correct cooking time.
  • Babyrunner1225
    Options
    So glad I found this I so was looking for more recipes to do in my crock pot. I started school again so this is awesome too bad my kids are so darn picky I guess they will be making their own dinner. LOL
  • losinghollyann
    losinghollyann Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump:bigsmile:
  • MenaMena
    MenaMena Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    These sound great. Can't wait to try.
  • toadinc
    Options
    http://www.savingyoudinero.com/2012/06/12/1-hour-1-mess-5-crock-pot-meals/

Great site and we did Part 1 and Part 2 - bought everything, then prepared the crockpot meals in about an hour (it was my daughter and I doing this) and then stuck it all in the freezer. So far we've had four and they've all been good, and love how easy it makes our evenings - eating healthy and yummy (no going out to fast food this way).
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup

Ingredients

1 pound stewing beef
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    2 cups sliced carrots, peeled
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 1/2 cups chopped onion
    2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
    1 medium zucchini, sliced and chopped
    3 tablespoons minced garlic
    1 small jalapeño (optional)
    2-3 tablespoons fresh chopped thyme leaves
    64 ounces reduced sodium beef broth
    8.8 ounces barley
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2-3 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Directions

Place beef pieces into a large ziptop bag. Add flour, salt and pepper. Shake to coat evenly.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet or pot over medium heat. Brown coated beef pieces on both sides until browned, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer beef to 5 quart crock pot on high.

In same skillet beef was browned, add 2 more additional tablespoons of olive oil. Saute carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, garlic and thyme. Cook and stir for about 10 minutes.

Transfer to crock pot. Stir in beef broth, barley, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Close with lid and cook on high for 3-4 hours. About an hour before soup is done, stir in fresh parsley. Serve with crusty bread.
    Makes 8-10 Servings

http://picky-palate.com/2013/01/14/slow-cooker-beef-and-barley-soup/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+PickyPalate+(Picky+Palate)
  • skump425
    skump425 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    bump
  • schaskes
    schaskes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Search baked potato soup...It's on here, it's easy, and my family loved it!!