Heavy lifting leads to sagging?

Options
slkehl
slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
Found this on yahoo (originally from an article in Woman's Day on 10 ways you make yourself look older than you are)

2. Lifting Too Much at the Gym

"No, you shouldn't stop exercising. But overworking large muscles, such as the triceps, quads and biceps, can cause sagging in the long run," says celebrity fitness instructor Tracy Anderson.

“As connective tissues loosen with age, an overworked aging muscle produces an undesirable skin tone,” she explains. "Focus on accessory muscles around the larger thigh and belly muscles, which can give you a more balanced look. For each group of muscles, use weights under three pounds each and do more reps, Anderson adds."

I've never heard this before, and based on what I've heard from women who lift on here, I'm skeptical. What says you?

Replies

• Debbs83
    Debbs83 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I read this today as well. I lift heavy and I'm not going to stop but I was wondering if there is science to back this up.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Sounds preposterous. Lifting strengthens connective tissue.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    weights under 3 lbs. haha that's cute.
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    my purse weighs like 10 pounds. Guess I should clean it out....:noway:
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    It's sad that this woman gets so much coverage when she has no idea what she's talking about.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Tracy Anderson makes her living by selling DVDs. These DVDs involve cardio workouts and very light weight training (like the 3lbs she mentions).

Do you need to know any more about why she would make such an assertion?
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Umm....no.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    image.png
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Anything Tracey Anderson has to say is complete rubbish, IMO. I'll take my chances with the weights, thanks. Sagging is what happens when you don't do any lifting. *sigh* I wish someone would make her go away. Hope your purses and those gallons of milk aren't making you women get bulky or saggy.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Tracy Anderson.

I think I found the problem with the article.
  • JSheehy1965
    Options
    erm...under 3 lbs??? She really is obviously an :noway: "expert"
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Wow-What a load of crap!

...and since when are the Triceps and Biceps considered to be "large muscles"?
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    To quote a friend of mine.

No.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    344632_o.gif

She has taken one to many "shakeweights" to the face!!

That is rubbish
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    <--- I lift heavy and I'm 40 years old.

The only thing that's drooping are my jeans that are falling off my ever-shrinking waist.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Wow-What a load of crap!

...and since when are the Triceps and Biceps considered to be "large muscles"?

Just ask any bench 'n' curl bro!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    ****ing Woman's Day.

Yes, listen to a magazine that routinely has Dr. Oz on the cover, promotes a new, different diet as being the "best" every month, and insists that everyone in the world has hypothyroidism.

And I'm sorry, Tracy "eat 500 calories a day" Anderson? Goddammit.

Sorry, this rant is more to my mom. I'M TALKING TO YOU MOM.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Also curious about the "aging overworked muscle" and skin tone. Although based on most of these responses, seems like she's making it up out of thin air. I suppose because her audience is the light weight type and this gives them more justification for their workouts?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    <--- I lift heavy and I'm 40 years old.

The only thing that's drooping are my jeans that are falling off my ever-shrinking waist.

And my mouth as you walk by! Ow ow!
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I guess I can see the benefit of adding lighter weight to a cardo workout to make it more intense, but for actual muscle building, you'll want to lift heavy.