the "do what works for you" advice

Options
124»

Replies

• VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Even in this thread, someone disagrees. Everyone is a special snowflake whose body functions vastly different from the next special snow flake.

Honestly, this bothers me more than anything. Don't people realize that if their bodies are unique, then that means that no one can really help them.

It is an acceptance of futility, and ultimately, becomes the excuse for not even trying. The logic, in and of itself, is the perpetuation of the yo-yo dieters mentality.
    I repudiate the basis of this post. The knowledge that I am different is empowering, not enervating. It's a reason for trying my own thing, not an excuse for giving up.

What works for me is logging everything I eat. Some people don't need to do that.
    What works for me is switching up what I eat all the time or I get bored. Some people do better eating the same food every day.
    What works for me is more weights than boring-*kitten* cardio. Some people don't like weights & do better with running.
    What works for me is NOT telling most of my distant friends and family about my efforts. Some people need their family to succeed.
    What works for me is nearly eliminating sugar & processed carbs. Some people can just eat less of those things without getting rid of them altogether.
    What works for me is monogamy. Some people are happier with promiscuity.

I AM special. Just like everybody else.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    So, OP, if the science is all the same, why not say 'Do what works for you'?

The alternatives ('Do what works for me', 'Do what this book says') are certainly no better.

To me it seems you are railing against something that, by your logic, you should support. No matter the science, it is only by doing something that something will get done. Who cares how someone makes their deficit, as long as it works? Isn't that what you're saying? So why on earth do you care that people say 'Do what works for you'?

I really fail to grasp your logic.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I have to respectfully disagree. Not only are we not all the same, our bodies don't even respond the same way over the course of our lifetimes. What worked for me to change my body when I was 25 is not the same now that I'm 55. I have to keep mixing it up, and have had to learn to continue to try new things to find what works best for me.

And I don't believe that men's and women's bodies respond the same way to the same input. We are physiologicaly different.

I agree that eating less and moving more and building muscle is good for all of us, though, that has never been in doubt for me. But I have had to make some adaptations within that.
    I repudiate the basis of this post. The knowledge that I am different is empowering, not enervating. It's a reason for trying my own thing, not an excuse for giving up.

Adapting the fundamental principles that hold true for all people such that it best suits your needs and goals is the art of leading a balanced and healthy life. That doesn't change the fact that those underlying principles exist and hold true for EVERYONE. Getting your diet and exercise just right isn't an easy task, it's something that takes work, and constant tweaking since your needs change over time.

The problem arises when you get someone who says, for example, 'well if I eat at night I can't lose weight, that's just how my body works'. That's blatantly untrue. Calories don't mysteriously become Uber-fat harbingers that don't get oxidized when you're in a deficit. Eating at night may screw with your diet and make you sleep like crap or be more likely to overeat, but the laws of thermodynamics still apply after 7PM.

By the same token, some things work that won't work for others, and claiming as much is erroneous. For some folks if they eat Paleo, they no longer need to count calories because they eat under maintenance naturally. Saying that calorie counting isn't needed on the diet would be incorrect though, because that doesn't apply to everyone. You can gain weight on ANY diet if you overeat. Paleo may affect satiety for some such that they don't need to limit intake, but that's not a fundamental rule for everyone.

Same thing goes for exercise. Figure out what works for you, but it doesn't change the fundamental fact that certain types of strain cause different types and degrees of muscle activation, or that exercise in general is good for overall health.

We're not that different.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    we say that when we are tired of arguing with stupid. what else are we supposed to do when we are done banging our heads against a brick wall.

"do what works for you" is the new "lol bye"
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My body works the same as your body which works the same as everyone else's on this site (with the only significant difference being people with legitimate health issues, like diabetes, etc.).

Sorry - I highly doubt this statement.

Yes; what about werewolves, who morph into an animal a few nights a month? How are their calorie needs different?

Great point! I'm glad someone *finally* brought this up. :flowerforyou:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    But do I count my negative calorie foods or not??
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    we say that when we are tired of arguing with stupid. what else are we supposed to do when we are done banging our heads against a brick wall.

QFT.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

:drinker:
  • aliciapenny
    aliciapenny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Adapting the fundamental principles that hold true for all people such that it best suits your needs and goals is the art of leading a balanced and healthy life. That doesn't change the fact that those underlying principles exist and hold true for EVERYONE. Getting your diet and exercise just right isn't an easy task, it's something that takes work, and constant tweaking since your needs change over time.

The problem arises when you get someone who says, for example, 'well if I eat at night I can't lose weight, that's just how my body works'. That's blatantly untrue. Calories don't mysteriously become Uber-fat harbingers that don't get oxidized when you're in a deficit. Eating at night may screw with your diet and make you sleep like crap or be more likely to overeat, but the laws of thermodynamics still apply after 7PM.

By the same token, some things work that won't work for others, and claiming as much is erroneous. For some folks if they eat Paleo, they no longer need to count calories because they eat under maintenance naturally. Saying that calorie counting isn't needed on the diet would be incorrect though, because that doesn't apply to everyone. You can gain weight on ANY diet if you overeat. Paleo may affect satiety for some such that they don't need to limit intake, but that's not a fundamental rule for everyone.

Same thing goes for exercise. Figure out what works for you, but it doesn't change the fundamental fact that certain types of strain cause different types and degrees of muscle activation, or that exercise in general is good for overall health.

We're not that different.

So true.

Perhaps those people that say "my body is differen"t are the ones who need excuses to justify a lack of sucess?
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

So true.

Perhaps those people that say "my body is differen"t are the ones who need excuses to justify a lack of sucess?

Or maybe they just think their body is different? I lose weight easily, at both high (2000kcal+) and low (1200kcal ish) intakes, with only light exercise. I see people eat less, eat more, work out less, work out more and still have more problems than I do in losing weight. Something is clearly different between us, and part of it may well be our bodies.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Love this so much. Yes, there are people who have medical conditions but apart from the we do essentially work the same. Absolutely fed up of some of the pseudo science or downright damaging advice too. Yes I'm being a grump hence why I was off the forums for months.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Or maybe they just think their body is different? I lose weight easily, at both high (2000kcal+) and low (1200kcal ish) intakes, with only light exercise. I see people eat less, eat more, work out less, work out more and still have more problems than I do in losing weight. Something is clearly different between us, and part of it may well be our bodies.

I guarantee that if all other things remain constant (which is impossible to really control for I admit) you'd lose more weight faster on the 1200 calorie diet. That's the point that holds true for everyone. With a calorie deficit you will lose weight, period.

The part that varies from person to person is if something like that is 'easy' or not, as you mentioned. That doesn't change the science behind the process though. Some people have smaller TDEEs and some people have larger ones, but everyone has one, and eating under it will result in weight loss.