Marriage values in our society....

Options

Replies

• AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    No, I see your point. My statement did appear to be conflicting...I'm not bipolar! :) I just see things from a different perspective, as do many Europeans. The American context is different and not one I should comment on as I don't live there...but the issue is about government intervention (gay marriage, gun control, abortion, etc)....which is universal.

So, I won't argue my point. But on the point of marriage and everything to do with human sexuality and relationships: if it doesn't affect me it's not my business...unless of course it's affecting a child or someone equally unable to defend themselves.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe this thread is still open.

Sometimes the mods come through and keep the entertainment rolling. :P
  • FuzzyDicePHL
    FuzzyDicePHL Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Considering I can't even get married in my state because of traditional values makes me pissed.

And you're absolutely justified in being pissed (not that you need me to tell you, of course!). :)

It pisses me off, too (I'm in PA). I wouldn't ever want to get married, but it's unfair that we don't have the choice.
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    You're right; none of us have any values.

I, too, miss the old marriage values of society. When women were forced to marry the men who raped them. Or when women were considered property and nothing more. Or when women couldn't marry someone of a different race.

Yup. No values today. We've only gone downhill.

Good Point!

Huge point.... you win a bonus point.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Repent! The End is Near!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Gay marriage is legal where I live in Canada. I support that!!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I'll bow out of this debate as it doesn't affect me. :) I don't live in America where this is the case...guns are heavily regulated where I live as is sexuality (mostly Catholic church) so no where is without it's hypocrisy.

----
    exits stage left

Wut?
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Insufficient level of humor.

Mods only care when people are actually having a good time.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Insufficient level of humor.

Mods only care when people are actually having a good time.

QFT.
  • triciaj66
    triciaj66 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't think we were made to stay with one person our whole lives .... but whatever !!!!
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'll bow out of this debate as it doesn't affect me. :) I don't live in America where this is the case...guns are heavily regulated where I live as is sexuality (mostly Catholic church) so no where is without it's hypocrisy.

----
    exits stage left

Wut?
    What? What?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm happy for you that you're so much better than everyone else. You should go buy yourself a little trophy.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Not everyone has a picture perfect marriage like you.
  • mgnmsn
    mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Oh, and why is marriage "sacred"? It is only a contract really, and contracts are broken or dissolved all the time. Of course, I'm an atheist and don't place the same importance on the word "marriage" many religious people might.

Line up ladies, uberman is here to sweep you off your feet.

I, personally, appreciate a man who looks at things logically and thinks things through. I will get married (after we finish our college education), but it will literally be for financial and insurance purposes really. My commitment and life with him has nothing to do with a piece of paper from the government saying I am in the clear. It is a contract that happens to coincide with my commitment of love and faith in us. I just want to point out that this male's viewpoints and practicality are appreciated by at least one woman. Though, I am in the minority on this one, most likely.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    OP, it's just a lack of accountability and personal responsibility. It's so much better to do whatever you want not give a crap about the consequences or the feelings of others.

And hey, if people want to do that, I don't care - it doesn't ruin MY life. Hopefully it will prevent them having children that will grow up and think the same way.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Oh boy. I guess Ill just jump in here since I'm on a 5 hour train ride and I'm bored.

I'm kind of surprised at some of the harsh reactions to the initial post. Granted, I see the moralizing and judging in the post, but there are some nuggets there that I could get behind. I'm certainly not religious, and I do air on the side of being a realist, but I also believe that the casual way some people treat their relationships - all relationships - can be depressing.

I can't judge society at large, but in my own life I've seen people really hurt each other for incredibly selfish reasons. I wish we all took more time to treat others the way we want to be treated instead of, perhaps, the way we have been treated in the past. If your sexting someone else while you're in a relationship, are you thinking about the person you are hurting? Do you care? If you don't care, why are you with that person to begin with? Why be in a relationship at all if you don't want to be monogamous? What's the point?
  • peacek
    peacek Posts: 211
    Options
    I am in the same boat as the OP - Picture Perfect family- great husband- good life!

BUT- it's easy to lecture when you are on the sunny side. Unless you are in somebody's shoes- who are you to judge?
  • mdonovan
    Options
    Well it's a good thing you posted this, otherwise I would have no idea what behaviour I should call adulterous in my marriage. In other news, I'm under my calories but over my sugar today. Anyone else?
  • danijolson
    danijolson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow. Really sad to see you judge people you don't even know, or that you read about or see on the news. You have no idea what is going on in their lives, whether what they did was right or wrong- who are you to judge them and say they have horrible values. Good for you if you have an awesome marriage, put more energy towards that instead of judging people you don't even know, especially when you probably don't kno what is going on in their lives or what pushed them to make certain decisions. When you don't know, don't judge.
  • amrita0286
    Options
    The person that has an affair eventually gets whats coming to them anyways...
    Yes I believe in karma.
This discussion has been closed.