Foods/drinks you should never eat or drink.

Options

Replies

• amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with whole wheat bread? I know just plain wheat means nothing but whole wheat is ok in moderation and is a whole lat better than white. Also, there are margarines made from olive oil and such that have no trans fats and can be good for you in moderation.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it.

Whole grains are delicious and nutrient-rich. I lose weight every day and have stable hunger levels, even though I eat lots of whole grain foods.

Several margarine brands are free of trans fat and provide a healthier blend of mono and polyunsaturated fats / saturated than an animal product such as butter. Many people don't like margarine because it is heavily processed and colored. I don't eat either.

When it comes to food, I say "never say never."
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    i don't think she ever said that you would die...it says you will naturally loose weight by cutting these things out.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Foods/drinks that you should never consume: anything you really don't want to. Life is too short to eat things you don't like or worry if your glass of orange juice is going to kill you.

Lard. I definitely skip large glasses of liquid lard.
  • Ginn123
    Ginn123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is pretty good info. I know the whole deal with soy and orange juice which is why I buy almond milk and not soy milk. I know when I drink orange juice my weight increases which is why I stopped buying it. I know that wheat and white bread are basically the same which is why I eat whole grain bread and have now for several years. I did not know that apple juice was a problem. I tend to purchase apple cider so I hope that's not an issue.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Who devised this list? I bet they have no idea what they're talking about.

Meh, there are bits and pieces of fact scattered throughout that are based on actual science...but that doesn't mean that the conclusions hold up to scientific scrutiny. It's the typical, "X appeared to be better than Y in these subjects under these conditions, so therefore, you should NEVER eat or drink Y."
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    People are being rude but it's because inaccurate information like this is post on a regular basis. People become irritated more easily when they keep seeing the same bad information. That isn't the OP's fault. It'd probably be good if we could help, encourage and steer people in the right direction rather than mock, belittle and put down. Not eating those foods isn't going to hurt her (although please don't cut carbs too much...you need them) her nutritionist is obviously not providing her with good solid long term (life style) advice. Probably just wants to help drop some quick lbs and pass on a bit of her world view. If she cuts out orange juice and ends up w/a calorie deficit she'll lose weight. Over time she'll realize that she can actually enjoy orange juice (if she likes it) but she should account for the calories etc. That is okay.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    This thread entertains me. Please, continue. :)
  • Shann5315
    Shann5315 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Photogrrl what is with the hate, i'm just advising people. a nutritionist has given me this information, so it as to be right. i meant 4 there si no need to lash out at me when all i'm doing is trying to help people and myself. I see you have lost 30lb's good for you, but i am going to stick to what my nutritionist told me, after all they are the professionals and its facts. Say what you want, i dont care, all i care about is my health and other peoples. i have people backing me all the way and i hope you do too. People please stop hating i'm putting it out there for you as facts, you don't have to act on it if you dont want to. i put this up for positive reviews not negative.

Hm...you're gonna call ME out personally when 99 percent of the people responded similarly? Okkkayyy then.

It's not hate, it's called personal opinion. You very clearly wrote "Five" so people are wondering what happened to number five. If you didn't proofread what you wrote prior to posting...um, I'm not a mindreader, how could I know there were only "four."

And I am sorry but not everyone needs to cut out all carbs to lose weight. I just get tired of people telling everyone they have to eat a certain way/cut out all of this food/that food whatever. Do what works for you, I'll do what works for me. /End rant.

Edited to add: Yes, I may have "only" lost 30 pounds. But I did it without cutting out whole food groups, which works for me.

Im not saying you have only lost 30lb, i'm saying well done, its more than what i have lost. its called congratulations. I'm just trying to let people know that they are the foods that most people eat and they arent the best foods.

I dont need people throwing it back in my face.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Wow, it appears to me that most of your parents never taught you the saying 'If you don't have anything nice [POSITIVE] to say, then don't say anything at all'!! Some of you are just plain rude and it is completely unnecessary. Grow up.

That was the advice that Thumper's dad gave him. Thumper is a cartoon rabbit. We are adults. Sometimes, in the course of an exchange of ideas and expression of differences of opinion, it may be appropriate to say something that isn't entirely nice. Oh, forget that...sometimes it's just fun..and it's one of the joys of being an adult...that you can say what you're thinking even if it isn't always entirely nice. And just so we're clear, "not nice" =/= "mean".

But anyhow, you do see the irony in your post, right?
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to go ahead and continue to eat the foods I like at a moderate calorie deficit. There is no one food that will make you fat over any other. Thanks for the advice though! :flowerforyou:
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I love when people say "research shows", yet don't include ANY OF THE ACTUAL RESEARCH! I call BS!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I love when people say "research shows", yet don't include ANY OF THE ACTUAL RESEARCH! I call BS!
    Another gem: "A recent study" OH YEA?! WHERE IS IT?! HUH?!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    No whole wheat bread? I agree too many carbs is trouble, but aren't whole wheat choices what we should have? Whole wheat pasta, brown rice? Oatmeal? Etc?

You'll have to pry my whole grain foods from my cold, dead fingers...But you'll have to wait awhile for that, because my doctor tells me I'm on track to live a long, long time. :laugh:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Who devised this list? I bet they have no idea what they're talking about.

Yep.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I assumed this thread would get nasty from the very first post. I'm psychic.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    IF I remember correctly, the fifth item was genetically modified foods.

This info is misleading if you do not research the why's behind the prohibitions:

Fruit juices in general remove the fruit pulp and fiber leaving just the sugarry goodness behind - with a few dissolved vitamins. Your body metabolizes it pretty much the way it would sugar water, flooding your system with insulin. Just eat fruit, the sugar is not bad for you uless it is too easy for your body to use it - like sugar water - the fruit fiber slows down the metabolism and levels out the insulin response.

Margarine is made solid by hydrogenating vegetable oils which produced trans fats which are really harmful. Trans fats are far worse for you than the saturated fats in butter. However, soft margarines with little trans fat, like Becel, are still considered an healthy choice.

Whole wheat bread is really only a problem because in North America the term "whole wheat" on packaging does not necessarily mean it contains the whole grain. It is still highly processed and many nutrients from the grain are missing. Eat less processed carbohydrate foods. Whole grains are what to look for and rember that your body really needs just so much carbohydrate from grains, try to include carbs from a wide variety of fruit and vegetables.

Soy has been addressed by a previous poster and GM foods are still open to debate with some people (and experts) considering them just fine, and others considering them an insidious poison. A big issue is North America is that food producers are not required to label food to indicate whether or not it containg genetically modified ingredients - thereby making your choice of food product an uninformed one on this point.
  • DarkHours
    DarkHours Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    "I think I'll read something someone posted and automatically it will be the truth, as the big glowing square will tell me what it is I now can/cannot eat!" said no one that had any damn sense.

Just because someone posted it doesn't make it worth reading. Or fighting about. Do your own research. Maybe the flame wars wouldn't take up so much bandwidth with so much drivel.

What? Thinking for yourself?

Amazing.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    "I think I'll read something someone posted and automatically it will be the truth, as the big glowing square will tell me what it is I now can/cannot eat!" said no one that had any damn sense.

Just because someone posted it doesn't make it worth reading. Or fighting about. Do your own research. Maybe the flame wars wouldn't take up so much bandwidth with so much drivel.

What? Thinking for yourself?

Amazing.

Welcome to MFP.

Enjoy your stay.
  • melindanew
    melindanew Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    More junk science. I shouldn't be astounded anymore, and yet I am....