All Carb Diet - New Research!

Options
124»

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I understand this is probably a hilarious attempt at trolling but it may be a good plan for some people given their preferences and makes a point which is often forgotten - carbs can be muscle sparing.

I'm saddened but not surprised that something like this diet already exists. :-(

Oh, it's not all bad despite our friends at Low Carb Inc and Paleo LLC getting their respective panties in a bad about it. A general macro breakdown on the Ornish diet would be 60%c/30%p/10%f. Whilst I think there is no actual need to keep fat that low it doesn't mean the diet can't generate good results.

It's a viable solution for some people bearing in mind their preferences and goals (not everyone wants to maximise muscle or count calories for example)

I worry sometimes that this is becoming a forum of bleating sheep:

"Baaaaa - must do squats and deads"
    "Baaaaa - must lift heavy"
    "Baaaaa - must eat lots of protein"
    "Baaaaa - must cut out or stop cardio"

Of course, the above can be very good advice and in many instances is exactly right. In other instances it could be the worst possible advice. It depends on the individuals goals, preferences, desires and ability which more and more is getting routinely overlooked. That bothers me I guess.

Nice thread. Made me think.

Which is a first ;)
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

I've had the same thought. When I see people getting the crap beaten out of them because they're curious about the metabolic impact of acetic acid administered orally, it is irritating.

While we can all easily agree that thermodynamics is thermodynamics, the 'problem' of weight loss has not been solved; research into the nuances of what makes the road easier versus harder is still active and ongoing including into many of the concepts folks here reject out of hand. Thank god the field of science has more at its disposal than our minds here at MFP.

For instance, as much as it is said that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, there's bona fide peer reviewed research that indicates ingesting proportionally more protein in the mornings results in greater net satiety and less propensity to snack in evenings, ceterus paribus. Doesn't fly with the ideas expressed here so frequently about the linear nature of metabolism and the similarity of calories.

*shrugs*
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

I've had the same thought. When I see people getting the crap beaten out of them because they're curious about the metabolic impact of acetic acid administered orally, it is irritating.

While we can all easily agree that thermodynamics is thermodynamics, the 'problem' of weight loss has not been solved; research into the nuances of what makes the road easier versus harder is still active and ongoing including into many of the concepts folks here reject out of hand. Thank god the field of science has more at its disposal than our minds here at MFP.

For instance, as much as it is said that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, there's bona fide peer reviewed research that indicates ingesting proportionally more protein in the mornings results in greater net satiety and less propensity to snack in evenings, ceterus paribus. Doesn't fly with the ideas expressed here so frequently about the linear nature of metabolism and the similarity of calories.

*shrugs*

I think half of the arguments are over technicalities too. There are many methods for making it easier, I think people get their knickers in a twist when someone states that one of these methods is a requirement.

People seem quick to shove knowledge in peoples' face and pick holes in arguments, rather than share knowledge whilst protecting the naive from potentially dangerous approaches for the general public.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    I think half of the arguments are over technicalities too. There are many methods for making it easier, I think people get their knickers in a twist when someone states that one of these methods is a requirement.

People seem quick to shove knowledge in peoples' face and pick holes in arguments, rather than share knowledge whilst protecting the naive from potentially dangerous approaches for the general public.

I believe you're right - people get into arguments not because cardio is or is not a good idea, but because some d*nozzle said that you CAN'T lose weight without cardio. So forum veterans then want to defend the ignorant against the misinformation and end up going too far in the opposite direction. It's definitely interesting sociological thingie.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

*shrugs*

Errrr, yeah, I didn't understand a word of that so here's a picture of a cat

funny_cat_pictures_374.jpg

You're welcome.

(ps: a good breakdown of the reasons we act in this way can be found here: http://www.myosynthesis.com/two-minds-flame-war)
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    One word: Constipation.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

I believe you're right - people get into arguments not because cardio is or is not a good idea, but because some d*nozzle said that you CAN'T lose weight without cardio. So forum veterans then want to defend the ignorant against the misinformation and end up going too far in the opposite direction. It's definitely interesting sociological thingie.

Exactly.

E.g.

OP: Join my juice fast!

Vet: Erm, that's potentially a bad idea

Random 1: What how dare you? Negative! You're saying vegetables are bad for you?!

Random2: Everyone on here is so rude! I feed my kids vegetables!
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Exactly.

E.g.

Random 1: What how dare you? Negative! You're saying vegetables are bad for you?!

Ha ha ha ha ha ahem
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Exactly.

E.g.

But that misses the next steps of escalation:

Vet 2: Have fun losing all your muscle mass.

and so on.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    (ps: a good breakdown of the reasons we act in this way can be found here: http://www.myosynthesis.com/two-minds-flame-war)

I tried but my brain can't handle that either. Need more coffee. Will bookmark.
  • sacha_1987
    sacha_1987 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I was reading Ladies Home Journal[1] as I do and I heard about a new diet I want to try.

It's called the all-carb diet. Most of my favorite foods are carb-rich like cake and donuts. I love pasta too and bread and pastries. I really think this could work, and it makes sense because of the way Atkins and stuff works by eliminating macronutrients.

Since muscle weighs more than fat it seems like an easy way to shed a LOT of weight very fast while still keeping all systems online.

It is totally supported by recent research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition [2], which indicates there can be a LOT of beneficial effects! Other published studies indicate that it could reduce breast cancer risk [3], and combined with dietary fat restriction, can help decrease weight significantly! [4]

Totally. Here's a sample menu:
    Breakfast: loaf of bread
    Snack: honey crullers, hot chocolate
    Lunch: Ice cream cake
    Snack: Cinnamon bun
    Dinner: French fries covered in chocolate and sugar
    Dessert: Ice cream

:laugh: :laugh:
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Mind = blown.

::skips away eating chocolate cake::

Skipping burns a lot of calories right? the MFP counter told me so!
  • bigdaddyfluff
    bigdaddyfluff Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm more curious about why you were reading the Ladies Home Journal. Not so much worried about the diet, as the source. Is that your standard bathroom reading?
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, it is denser than fat and they weigh the same, lb for lb.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, it is denser than fat and they weigh the same, lb for lb.

Oh no you di'n't!
  • BurtHuttz
    Options

Muscle does weigh more than fat. To qualify that we refer to the volumetric sense is an absolutely unnecessary clarification when one considers that if a = a, and a = a, then a = a. To state otherwise is to feign ignorance only to appear correct when one corrects onesself.

And to the individual who critiqued reading LHJ, I read all of the major scientific journals.
  • sexelby
    sexelby Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is really good you posted this, everyone believes every sort of diet the hear and see. Truth is most of it is lies. What they don't tell you is that carbs act as a natural anti-depressant in women. Men can create some carbs in the body and simply survive on a very low intake of them. However women can't, and anyone who meets a female on the Atkins diet will have a notably lowered mood.
    Plus, carbs sustain you for longer and help prevent overeating.
    Carbs are good!
  • mtlkate
    mtlkate Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree that the human body functions best with a variety of foods. I've done Atkins and craved fruit. Eating all carbs ( which I love) would cause me to crave meat.