You logged what as exercise?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Elvie_Freeman
    Options
    I log cleaning as burning calories but that's because I clean an entire apartment building (two stories, 4 hallways) and that's a lot of running around, vacuuming, window washing, sweeping and general everywhere. It actually does burn a lot when you stop and think about it.

Working fast food is seriously fast paced too, and never feel bad about sex. XD Some people can go for hours!
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I do not count cleaning or "cooking, food preparation" as exercise. I'm afraid that people see it in the list and think, "Oh I've done my exercise for the day! sweet!" Those activities don't make you sweat profusely (unless it's summer and you don't have A/C) or sore the next day (unless you're doing curls with your vacuum). Working out, sweating like a beast, and not being able to catch my breath is exercise to me :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Working at McDonald's would actually burn some serious calories. Fast paced job, on your feet, constantly running from one end of the place to the other, possibly lifting heavy boxes, etc.

Then your daily activity level should be set higher. Work is not exercise. It is physical activity.

But....um...

ex·er·cise
    /ˈeksərˌsīz/
    Noun
    Activity requiring physical effort, carried out esp. to sustain or improve health and fitness.

So um, yeah. Physical activity *is* exercise. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have worn my HRM during sex. Even the sweaty acrobatic kind only burns about 120 cal for 30 min. About the same as shopping.

Scrubbing the tub gets a bigger cardiac response.

Which is why some people log it.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I don't really care what others log as exercise because they have to deal with the outcome.

For myself:
    1) I often log yard work because it's not an everyday, or even every week (esp. in winter), task. I have just shy of a half-acre with PLENTY of trees. To give you an idea of how many, for several weeks this fall my driveway had a 6" level layer of leaves! Driving in and out left trails as if it was snow! I log as 3 different intensities (low, medium, and high) at the rate of 2, 3, or 5 cals/min. I think those are safe/conservative numbers since 2.0mph walking for me is 4-5 cals/min and I can burn a sustained 15 cals/min on a treadmill.
    2) On rare occassions I will log shopping, mainly Black Friday or 'neglected to do major groceries for 3-4 weeks' type shopping. If you've ever seen me shop, you'd agree that I should log it. I've had people stop me in the grocery store and say I should teach a class. Seriously! It's like a military operation, except with 2 shopping carts. I've even had cashiers wave me TOWARDS their register because they know I'm organized and make their job much easier.
    3) I'll log pool cleaning cuz THAT'S serious cardio and an upper body workout.
    4) Once or twice I've logged vacuuming, but only when it's a "hit all the ceiling fans and fixtures, lift/move furniture"-type of session.
  • goodhuh
    goodhuh Posts: 20
    Options
    exactly dont take it personal, you did ask a question... its like when you type "fine" that word can be taken many different ways. My question is hoola hooping ????? does anyone know how to log that???
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    exactly dont take it personal, you did ask a question... its like when you type "fine" that word can be taken many different ways. My question is hoola hooping ????? does anyone know how to log that???
    Consider investing in a Heart Rate Monitor for more accurate calorie counts if you're concerned. It's really the best way to go, MFP counts are very inaccurate for me.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything that was a part of my daily routine while I was gaining weight. Cleaning, cooking an average meal, walking across the parking lot, shopping, and having sex were all very much a part of my life while I was putting on weight. I don't expect to earn any bonus calories for doing those things.

That said, I don't care what other people choose to log. If they are still meeting their goals, it must be working for them.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I put my settings on sedentary because I have a desk job. I log everything that keeps my whole body moving for at least 15 minutes. For example, I would log vacuuming, I wouldn't log washing dishes. Some of that other stuff you listed - like reading, WTF?
  • dawnreid2012
    dawnreid2012 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this lol.. Maybe I need to start logging it because My husband is only home 2 weeks a month and even them were lucky for that to happen 2 or 3 times while he is home.. And even this its definately a workout!!
    I log sex for sure! It is definitely a workout and not a daily activity...usually ;)
  • rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I will log bartending on nights when it is super insane and I have a shaker in both hands for 4-6hrs straight, I'm shaking, bending, twisting, reaching, running up and down stairs....but on a normal night I don't log it. Same goes for the days its crazy when I'm working in the deli. I normally cut the time I'm working in half so I don't overestimate it. And on the very rare occasion that I do get sex, you better believe I'm going to log it!
  • ssl444
    ssl444 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Seriously a whole 4 page thread on moaning about what people constitute good enough to log as exercise calories.

1. It comes up in the MFP database for a reason.
    2. If I'm gonna do a bigger clean than normal then hell yes I'm gonna use my heart rate monitor to see my calorie burn, the other day I put more effort in, put my music on, danced around while I was doing my cleaning and I burnt 635 cals, I could of just sat on the couch and let someone else do this, so why shouldn't I be entitled to log it.
    3. I've to date lost 21 pounds in 3.5 months so to those who say this isn't exercise and will have to deal with the consequences, do one.

Concentrate on your own weight loss journey instead of being negative about someone elses'.
    Rant over.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I log sex for sure! It is definitely a workout and not a daily activity...usually ;)

OK. This might sound stupid, but I checked in the exercise database for sex and it isn't there, so how where are you getting your information from?
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Today I burned 937 calories getting frustrated trying to teach 'Factoring polynomials with Exponents' to my son.
  • kiwiwizard
    kiwiwizard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Awesome - LOL!!!
  • kiwiwizard
    Options
    I wonder if they wear a HRM while masturbating?

No, but I do use a pedometer on my wrist.

^THAT made me literally LOL!

Me too, laughed 'til I was crying :-)
  • kiwiwizard
    Options
    I have worn my HRM during sex. Even the sweaty acrobatic kind only burns about 120 cal for 30 min. About the same as shopping.

Scrubbing the tub gets a bigger cardiac response.

good 2 know :-)