Totally random... pierced ears for baby?

Replies

• BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Circumcision is for looks...ask any dr.

And my girls cried way more over putting on tights than when they got their ears pierced. Lol
    WTF? :huh:
    Agreed. I'm guessing that more folks circumcise their boys for appearance ("looks") than any other reason. They want them to look like Dad and not be the one kid in the locker room with the funny-looking member.
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    HERE WE GO...

LET THE CRAY CRAY RUN LOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah-Crazy.gif
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Have her pediatrician do them.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    I try not to judge others but when it came to my own baby, I said absolutely not. Everyone gave me flack for not doing it. She'd be dressed head to toe in pink and nosy witches would ask how old my little BOY was. I'd say she's a girl and they'd ask "well why aren't her ears pierced?" Rude. Anyway, for me, the idea of having holes ripped in my infants ears was cruel, unnecessary and made zero sense. I want her just the way she came out until she's old enough to decide that she wants her body to be any different.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Talk it over with your husband and come to a decision. My wife and I decided that we'd wait until our daughters asked. We let our oldest daughter get hers done at 5. Seemed fine. Its a personal decision.
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    I was about 16 when I had mine done.

I have two girls and they are not having them done until they are a similar age.
    I do not want to have to take care of them and clean them but much more importantly.
    I went to a school that had a very strict policy on Jewellery. One of the popular girls in the class insisted on keeping her earings in as she had only just them re-piereced. We were only allowed small plain goldsstuds.
    We played netball and someone caught her ear and the stud was ripped out.
    I have very vivid memories of huge amounts of blood - our PE shirts were white.
    She ended up at hospital -needed several stitches and was told she would not be able to were an earing in her ear for several years
    assuming it healed well. She could need some cosmetic surgery to even her ear up.
    I moved away from the school so I never saw what it looked like, but it was still quite a mess a year later.
  • To each their own. If you want to do it then do it...if not, then dont. It is a personal decision and something you and your husband weigh the pros and cons of why each of you want them and go from there.

Both my step-daughter and my daughter were done around 6 months. My daughter got them done and was done crying LITERALLY 30 seconds or maybe even less after they were done. Also, my daughter's hair took awhile to come in so, they helped show, to the people who noticed, that she was a girl.

My sister-in-law waited to get my neices done until she was 8 and then she was scared to get them done...took her 3 years to get them done and now, she LOVES them.
  • JulieDive
    JulieDive Posts: 29 Member
    My little girl was 7-9 months old when I had her ears pierced. It didn't phase her one bit. The woman that did it, suggested that I have it done at that time. She never even pulled at them and they never got infected.
    When she was about 2 years old she yanked one out so I removed both for awhile. One hole closed up so I had to get the one side repierced when she was 2 1/2. It was when she was older that it bothered her and scarred her to the point that she will not let me change her earring becasue she is afraid it will hurt.
    It's up to you what you want to do. I don't think she will resent you for doing it. Worst case, she gets a little older and doesn't like them and you can just take them out and let the holes close.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Should be illegal in my opinion. There's no valid argument for having it done to a child so young it can't make the decision itself.

How many people think this go out and circumcise their boys? And that's permanent!

Jeez, it's pierced EARS folks... as in, those tiny holes that close up automatically if you don't put anything in them.

My daughter had them done as a baby, isn't scarred for life, and she loves them.

Ummmmmm.....comparing pierced ears to circumcision??? Circumcision is a health and hygiene issue. Pierced ears are just for looks. And circumcision isn't really something you'd want to wait until later in life to do. Inflicting pain on a helpless infant just to make them "look pretty" is pretty twisted. You should wait until they are older and able to properly care for them to make the decision themselves whether or not they want to wear earrings.

How is circumcision a health and hygiene issue? I'm sure only Americans think that. The majority of boys don't get circumcised in the UK and they have no issues!

The only issue my doc could think of when that concern came up was that sometimes when men live long enough and they end up in nursing homes and unable to care for themselves, he has seen sub standard cleaning procedures when a man is not circumcised. Small reason to do it, I guess.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    I just wanted to add my 2 cents... I have daughters... I would never pierce their ears for them when they are too young to choose. My oldest wanted them done at 9yo and 5 weeks later let them close. It's their choice, not mine.

Also, I got a second hole on both of my ears and decided to let them close... the scars are very noticeable, so don't make your decision based on "she can let them close later if she wants to".
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Should be illegal in my opinion. There's no valid argument for having it done to a child so young it can't make the decision itself.

How many people think this go out and circumcise their boys? And that's permanent!

Jeez, it's pierced EARS folks... as in, those tiny holes that close up automatically if you don't put anything in them.

My daughter had them done as a baby, isn't scarred for life, and she loves them.

Ummmmmm.....comparing pierced ears to circumcision??? Circumcision is a health and hygiene issue. Pierced ears are just for looks. And circumcision isn't really something you'd want to wait until later in life to do. Inflicting pain on a helpless infant just to make them "look pretty" is pretty twisted. You should wait until they are older and able to properly care for them to make the decision themselves whether or not they want to wear earrings.

How is circumcision a health and hygiene issue? I'm sure only Americans think that. The majority of boys don't get circumcised in the UK and they have no issues!

Yea....ex-inlaws a foreign exchange student from Germany; he thought circumcision was crazy and it was NOT common practice there. Sadly after he returned to Germany, they made him get circumcised - at 18! lol poor guy

and in many countries, they pierce little girls' ears as soon as their born b/c they're girls.

That being said: My mom had mine pierced at 11mos old - they're fine - I'm fine haha
    I didn't pierce my daughter's as a baby b/c she had a lot of ear problems and now she's terrified of needles so I bought her clip on adaptors. They're just the clip on part with a spot to put a regular ear ring. She loves them.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member

WebMD:

What are the benefits of circumcision?

A decreased risk of urinary tract infections.
    A reduced risk of sexually transmitted diseases in men.
    Protection against penile cancer and a reduced risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners.
    Prevention of balanitis (inflammation of the glans) and balanoposthitis (inflammation of the glans and foreskin).
    Prevention of phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) and paraphimosis (the inability to return the foreskin to its original location).

Circumcision also makes it easier to keep the end of the penis clean.

To me, so not worth any possible slight benefits. RIght, it prevents foreskin problems, because you don't have most of yours. Removing any body part will prevent all ailments particualr to that part. It's just simple logic. It's also a medical procedure with serious risks to the baby.

And girl parts would be way easier to clean if we snipped off that pesky labia, but I don't think I'll be dooing that to my children either.
  • aimeebug82
    aimeebug82 Posts: 27 Member
    We are going to let her decided when she a little older (now 5 almost 6) i got to in 2nd grade. i think thats a good age to take care of them theirself and to decided if thats something she may really want. Who knows she may not beieve in that once shes older...you for sure dont want to give them anything to be mad at you about their friends and little minds think of enough as it is!
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    No way!!!!!!!! Torture to the poor baby.
  • laural007
    laural007 Posts: 251 Member
    My kids father and myself decided to wait until our daughter was old enough to make the decision herself.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    no
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    If a problem develops in the future and there is a medical reason to remove it, by all means, but that is like saying I'll just remove my childs ears because they are prone to infections. :-/
    The sole purpose of a foreskin is to keep the penis clean and safe from bacteria. It's pretty self explanatory.

Sorry just had to point out that ear infections are generally in the canal and not on the ear itself unless it is pierced, scratched, burned or peeled/skinned and infections from surface are easy to heal in comparison to infections inside the canal and inner ear. My daughter is genetically prone to ear infections just as I was growing up and having earrings made no difference whether I had infections or not.

It's an esthetically pleasing thing and as far as I have experienced the majority of girls are happy having their ears pierced regardless of when they were pierced. Circumcision however can be tied to both religion and tradition, muslims choose it because in their faith it is considered clean. Judaism it's based off faith as well, both having foreskin and not have different pro's and con's so it is up to the family, their traditions and their faith as to whether they should do it or not.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    I bet when the OP created this post she didn't think she would also get tons of opinions on circumsion for her non-boy infant.... :laugh: :laugh:
  • khemory
    khemory Posts: 47 Member
    Mine were peirced when I was 18 months old. I dont see the big deal. If you dont like them, let them close up...
  • KY2022runner
    KY2022runner Posts: 72 Member
    I had to chime in. This really bothers me. This is something that should be done down the road when they can input if they want to at all.