Why do people care about their local sports teams?

Options

Replies

• TheNewJesse
    Options
    My brain cant comprehend not cheering for local sports.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    root, root, root for the home team...if they don't win it's a shame...for it's 1, 2, 3 strikes your out at the old ball game.

I think for most sports fans it's pretty deeply rooted and often over generations. Lot of nostalgia for me...remembering sitting on the couch with my dad watching the football game or the base ball game...going to the stadium with dad and grandpa on a summer evening and the smell of clipped grass...freezing my butt off in the winter at the football game and drinking my cocoa while dad drank his (with a little something extra)...etc, etc...
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Why does it bother you?

If you watch sport for sports sake, go ahead - but for most people it makes it way more exciting to root for a team.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Why not? It's fun.

Errrr... go dirty birds?
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    It gives me something to get riled up about that doesn't have any direct bearing on my daily life. Allows me to vent frustrations. Form elaborate rivalries in my head. Not to mention just being able to watch all those hot, sweaty men...
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I found this online:
    "Some people watch and mock at the fact that people watch sports so religiously but they have not experienced it. Many go as far as to say, "it is a waste of time". The connections that many have to sports is in fact like a religion, not in the sence of worshipping the sport, but in the way of being involved because of the togetherness, and family that it represents."

Gotta say, being raised atheist as well, it's no surprise I have no level of connection to my fellow man. If it wasn't for food, I would have nothing to talk about with anybody.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Ever been in an Arena or stadium that is just rocking? It's a sense of community that doesn't really exist any where else anymore other than maybe a university or church.
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It satisfies our primal need to belong to a tribe. Caring who wins shows emotional commitment which raises the stakes and makes it exciting.
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think people cheer for their local team because you can actually attend the games in person when it's located locally.

In regards to players moving away, I have a favorite player who is going to play for Detroit next season. I will probably always keep an eye on his career and root for him, unless he's playing against my team, of course.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Local teams bring in a TON of money to the local economy especially professional and Division I NCAA teams in America. We're talking several hundred million dollars per year here. Not chump change. Most of that money is also taxable so it's good for state and local government income as well.

It's also fun to be able to go out on a weekend to a sporting event and enjoy the crowd and the energy of a good game.

Pretty much this
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Why do you care what other people care about?

tumblr_m7r2voxsTa1rqa5dxo1_500.jpg
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Oklahoma where at the time there were NO professional sports - so we cheered for the colleges and that is a blast

Then 15 years ago I moved to Minnesota and went to my first NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB games over time and I can tell you the atmosphere is contagious and just FUN - also the economic impact is HUGE creates jobs, brings in revenue - the owner of a bar in St Paul sent a letter to the NHL commissioner in regards to how much the lockout was hurting his business and the overall income of downtown st paul - It means a LOT to people not only for the fun but for other reasons also!

I didnt live in MN in 89 or 91 BUT people still have so much pride in those Twins teams its cool to hear stories and it gets you excited!

Im a die hard Vikes fan - :sad: BUT I care because in addition to fun its also fun to see some "local" Adrian Peterson (OU grad) have great success...
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    In Detroit, it's all we have.
    yup
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Gotta say, being raised atheist as well, it's no surprise I have no level of connection to my fellow man. If it wasn't for food, I would have nothing to talk about with anybody.

Being an atheist doesn't make you an anti-social outcast unless you choose to be. What a silly comment.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Players can move around a lot. This is why it is better to support the team, usually where you live.

Nothing sucks more than going to a hometown team game and being outnumbered by fans of the other team.

Besides, how would the sport build a fan base if every year the teams moved cities? Gotta stay in place to build and grow a fan base. I can't imagine liking a league where every year a team or two moved cities. You'd be constantly changing conferences and divisions etc.

Teams don't relocate that often because of things like tv revenue (want to stay in large tv areas), fines/fees to move a team, schedules, conferences/divisions. And if you are unable to change conferences and divisions because the BOG votes it down, you end up with Winnipeg in the Eastern Conference with a whacked travel schedule! :laugh:
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I cannot comprehend not understanding why. You either get it, or you don't.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Thirdly - fandom is often passed down from generation to generation. People will tell stories about going to games with their dads (or moms) and so on.

Good point ^^ my kids talk about the games they have been to and they are only 9 & 11 - more to come - like a T'wolves game this Saturday!!
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Sports are just another form of soap opera....
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I would bet that it has something to do with a few things -

First - people weren't always able to watch any game they wanted. Until recently (within the last 10 years or so) you were pretty saturated with teams that were around you. Sundays, for me growing up, was the Steelers every week. And baseball was the pirates, and so on.

Secondly - those were the teams primarily covered in the area by the newspapers (remember those?), so you learned more about the players, regardless of where they were from. I should state that I am not a fan of the Steelers, and it was extremely difficult with the lack of TV exposure and internet to be a Lions fan in the early 90's (it's still difficult, but for other reasons - like they suck).

Thirdly - fandom is often passed down from generation to generation. People will tell stories about going to games with their dads (or moms) and so on.

I would add local marketing/community relations by the franchise to this
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Because rooting for a team makes it more fun. I had to pick my teams somehow, so why not the ones whose home games I can go to? Plus, the Twins were awesome when I was a kid and it was fun rooting for World Series winners. Now it's kind of sad, but it would feel like treason to root for anyone else.