Totally random... pierced ears for baby?

Options

Replies

• fallenoaks
    Options
    I wouldn't pierce a baby's ears. I think it looks trashy. Just my personal aesthetic opinion though.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    It's a personal decision. It sounds like you're leaning toward not doing it. Do what you think is best for your child. That's your job as a parent. You are parenting this child, not anyone on this board. Only you can know what is best in this case. =)
    As for those who claim that it's probably okay simple because it's socially acceptable - slavery was once socially acceptable. Socially acceptable does not equal morally acceptable.

Seriously??? Comparing baby ear piercing to slavery?? That's not even close to the same thing. And how is it morally wrong?

33431471.jpg

Bahaha! Seriously!! I personally didn't pierce my daughter's. I feel like that's her choice.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    It's a decision for you to make. And, there is no reason for anyone to judge one way or another.

I had my daughter's pierced when she was 6 months old because her father wanted them done. I was hesitant, but after speaking with the pediatrician made sure all precautions were taken and that we did it as safely as possible.

Personally, I'm glad we did it. The pain is equivalent to getting an immunization. Within seconds she stopped crying. I was responsible for the care and cleaning, so there was little chance for infection. I had my ears pierced when I was 6, and I was so horrible with taking care of them. One ear got infected, then I lost the earrings and they closed up. My daughter is so used to earrings now and there is no care necessary.

But, again...to each their own.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I had my daughters done at 3 months by her pediatrician. My mom waited until I was eight for mine to be pierced and I developed a keloid. The doctor told me that the younger she gets it done the least likely she would develop one.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    It's a personal decision. It sounds like you're leaning toward not doing it. Do what you think is best for your child. That's your job as a parent. You are parenting this child, not anyone on this board. Only you can know what is best in this case. =)
    As for those who claim that it's probably okay simple because it's socially acceptable - slavery was once socially acceptable. Socially acceptable does not equal morally acceptable.

Seriously??? Comparing baby ear piercing to slavery?? That's not even close to the same thing. And how is it morally wrong?

33431471.jpg

Bahaha! Seriously!! I personally didn't pierce my daughter's. I feel like that's her choice.

I know that :P.

I just think it's quite a cowinkydink that slavery ended up in this thread.
  • ObiRenKenobi
    Options
    I wouldn't..
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Not a fan, I chose to get my ears pierced at 18. I wouldn't be doing it to a child of mine until they have a) decided for themselves they want it done, b) maintained that desire over time and c) I feel they are responsible enough to look after them.

I don't think its cute on babies at all....
  • Shanni827
    Shanni827 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have 5 children and with my first daughter I had her's pierced when she was 6 months old (her grandmother insisted). They lasted about 2 months after she pulled out and lost 3 sets of diamond earrings, including the one's with the screw on backs. After that I waited to let all of my girls decide if they wanted them. They all have had their ears pierced at some point including my 4 year old who insisted on getting her ears done. She decided she didn't like them anymore and we took them out.

The bottom line is that I let them decide when they get them done, and if they decide they don't like them we take them out. Babies and toddlers, in my opinion are too small.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I dont think its cute and i wouldnt do it. Babies should be cute already.
  • slhall0822
    slhall0822 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I definitely had no idea so many people were against baby ear piercing. Interesting.
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I think it's ultimately going to come down to YOU and what you feel because there is a plethora of opinions on both sides of this in this thread.

Good luck in your decision, also you're baby is adorable :)
  • Dreajewkes
    Options
    I think it would be best to wait. It could be a lesson of responsibility later in her life when she is ready to have them. Ears have a high possibility of getting infected if not taken care of properly.
  • MerBear1985
    Options
    You are her mother, it is your choice. However, if you want my opinion it would be to wait until she is old enough to choose herself. She may not want them and it is another thing you have to take care of. I had mine done when I was 9 because I kept begging my mom for them. My decision. It seems unfair to make that decision for her. IMO
  • purrywinkle
    Options
    I got mine done when I was a baby!
  • ew513
    ew513 Posts: 35
    Options
    CHILD ABUSE !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Mandamanda93
    Mandamanda93 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I got mine pierced when I turned seven. It was kind of a part of growing up, a rite of passage, if you will.
    To be honest, I doubt she'd mind getting them pierced (as a few people have pointed out, they DO close up), but I would wait anyway. I'd let her make her own decision on if she even wants them.
    The other thing is, do you really want to have to worry about infections, turning the earrings, changing earrings, etc., while she's still a baby, or a toddler, or even just a young child with no sense of responsibility about the whole situation? I'd wait until she's at least old enough to learn how to take care of the piercings herself.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    CHILD ABUSE !!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, call CPS!!! For every parent that pierces their child's ears!!! Way to overreact....
  • azalea617
    azalea617 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I work in a mall, across from a Claire's where they will pierce babies' ears. Please don't. The screaming is insane. Even doing both ears at once, it still results in a very unhappy baby. As much as they say they won't remember it, I feel like it would build some trust issues that your parent is allowing you to experience that sort of pain as a baby when they don't understand it.

I didn't get mine till I was 10, and even then wound up letting them grow shut because they got infected and it freaked me out/hurt. Got them redone at 13 and have 3 holes on each side now (only really wear first one now). I was really glad I got to decide for myself.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    NO.NO.NO. Let her decide for herself when she's old enough.
  • wavdawg4
    wavdawg4 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I didn't get mine until I was in middle school. But I know lots of people that have them done has young children. I've also come across different countries and cultures and they see nothing wrong with piercing their daughters ears. To each their own. I haven't come across any girls that Hated the fact that their parent's pierced their ears as kids.