Public Restroom Flushing

Options

Replies

• JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Hand. I also open the restroom door without using a paper towel or my elbows.

My immune system is killer. Of course, I wash my hands.

This. I never get sick.

It's a good thing everyone has cellphones now - I can imagine you all around a payphone... Dialing with your feet... :)
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I use my foot to flush the toilet in public places
  • LosinItAll2012
    LosinItAll2012 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    germs obsession scares me more than germs

1000 X THIS!!
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I flush it with my hand, knowing full well that I am going to wash my hands in the next thirty seconds, and that I possess a strong and adequate immune system.

I am not afraid of germs.

this!
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker who never washes her hands. I have seen her MANY times just turn on the water and walk out. Like I hadn't noticed she didn't use sopa, wet or dry her hands....REALLY? Do not touch ANYTHING I touch. Ever!

Numerous times I have been in the restroom at my office and witnessed guys leaving without washing their hands. You can darn well bet that I take a mental note to never shake their hand or allow them in my office.
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    We have the automatic ones so I do not touch them at all!!! I wash my hands, leave the water running to get a paper towel and turn off the water, then use said paper towel to open the door. I have seen too many people not washing their hands coming straight out of the ladies room....
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Office/Restaurant/Theater/Anywhere not a private home with obvious cleaning rituals.

Do you use your foot or hand to flush? Even with push button ones or the automatic ones that might be off timer-wise or broken.

I use my foot even if the damn thing is eye level. I'm NOT touching that thing.

To be honest, even in some friends/family homes, I'll still hover and use a napkin/tissue.

I just use my hands. (There's a sink with soap in bathrooms. :wink:)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Hand. I also open the restroom door without using a paper towel or my elbows.

My immune system is killer. Of course, I wash my hands.

This. I never get sick.

It's a good thing everyone has cellphones now - I can imagine you all around a payphone... Dialing with your feet... :)

^^^ Good one
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Myself, I usually end up flushing bare-hand because the TP dispenser is going to have all the nasty germs on it, anyway. Then, if they're not automatic, I'll turn on the faucet bare-hand, wash, and turn it off with a paper towel (the idea being that most people, when they reach for those paper towels- especially the ones down at the far end where they're not likely to go in search of an emergency tissue- will reach for them with washed hands). If I have to pull the door open, I'll use a paper towel. If I can push through, I do so with my hips / butt. I keep my own hand sanitizer if I need it. Generally, I don't worry too much about it. After all, we have cleaning crews go through the bathrooms at least twice a week, but I haven't seen them clean a single doorknob in my three years in this building.

Although all this talk of flushing with feet may explain why we're always having to replace the mechanisms...
  • Findekano
    Findekano Posts: 116
    Options
    FOOT - esp here at work - some of these women are NASTY....**shudder**

I work in a semi-professional environment... it amazes me how many time I've found pee on the FLOOR and on the toilet seat. C'mon... really?

That's because some women are such germaphobes, they won't use a seat cover (holder might have cooties), but the seat DEFINITELY has cooties, so they hover. Some hoverers can aim. Others not so much. If everyone would just sit the hell down, there would be no need to hover. Not that many germs on your butt-cheeks, especially compared to your hands.

That said, I use my hand to flush the damn thing. My immune system is great and I'm rarely sick, because I spent the majority of my childhood playing in dirty places full of germs and putting everything I could get my hands on in my mouth, and I don't intend to kill it off now. I wash my hands thoroughly, and then I (gasp) touch the door handle with my BARE HANDS.
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would love to see some of the foot flushers enjoy the splendor that is festival portaloos.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I would love to see some of the foot flushers enjoy the splendor that is festival portaloos.

:laugh:

Not to mention, *allowing* yourself to contract germs on occasion helps build up your immune system. The hand-sanitizer crowd are always the first ones to call-in sick.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I have never heard of foot flushing before, I must lead a sheltered life :ohwell:

I was thinking the same thing. Who *does* that? ...uber-weirdness
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Flush??? Wait ... I thought I was supposed to leave the log for the next person to see. Is that wrong?

I originally thought this thread was going to be about co-workers who don't bother to flush or help keep the bathrooms clean.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Totally squat and foot flush. I don't know why people think if things look clean they are clean. Kitchen counters and phones look fine and are covered in ecoli; looks can be deceiving. I'm glad one other poster mentioned singing their ABCs. That is essential. I'm mortified with how horribly people wash their hands--hardly any soap and just a few seconds under the water. I actually prefer to use alcohol hand sanitizer, which is more effective than soap when no grim or dirt is actually on hands.

Oh and the door touching issue--I never touch it. I'll usually just nudge the bottom of the door closed with the bottom of my foot and nudge it back open when I'm done. I've never had anyone bust in on me and I'd care a lot less about that then touching the filthy door. If it's a single stall bathroom and I wouldn't have the heads up of hearing people walking past other stalls--I use something long to flick or push the lock closed (and toss it and use something new to flick it open).

Basically, I never make contact (with a paper towel or otherwise) with one single thing in a public restroom.

On another note--what do you do with your purse? I saw a recent statistic that a majority of women will put their purse on the floor of the restroom (and that it's contributing to large amounts of ecoli on restaurant tables)! That strikes me as so foul. I wouldn't put mine on the door hang--let alone the floor. I don't get how people don't consider how transferable bacteria is...

I don't get how go through life trying avoiding germs. I wonder how many times a year you get sick. I haven't been seriously ill since 1989. (Well except that sinusitis I got in 1997. I almost forgot about that.)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I must have a good immune system. I'll wipe the seat if there's pee (probably left by hover pee-ers), sit, flush with hand, touch the handle, wash my hands, turn off the faucet, dry hands.

The only thing "special" I do is open the door with the paper towel, then hold it with my foot as I toss the towel. If the garbage can is too far away, or it was an air-dry, I open the door with my sleeve or my pinky finger.

I can honestly say I've never gotten sick from using a public toilet. I also work at a veterinary clinic, and even though I wash my hands several times an hour, I've trained myself to not touch my face while I'm at work. I've bypassed numerous office-wide colds, but I do still manage to catch one maybe once a year, usually because I didn't know someone was sick and used the phone right after them.

Now....an air dryer is one thing I will *not* use. That's the one time I will use hand sanitizer instead of washing because air dryers are like cocaine for bacteria. :laugh:
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I use my tongue.

YOU WIGGLE MY LOOSE TEETH WITH THAT TONGUE! :angry:

I drink mouthwash for 6 hours a day. Your loose and rotting teeth are just fine. :drinker:

Whiskey isn't technically mouthwash, but I'll give you a pass on this one...
  • mhaight85
    Options
    Usually my hand, occasionally the foot. I usually have my 3 yr old with me and there's not a lot of room for lifting a leg and using the foot method. I wash my hands afterward so I don't really think it's that big of deal. I've also been to a 3rd world country where I had to pay for toilet paper and was lucky to have a toilet seat so by comparison even the gross public restrooms don't seem so bad.
  • Pablito66
    Pablito66 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just hold it until the weekend....
  • whitmars106
    whitmars106 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I flush it with my hand, knowing full well that I am going to wash my hands in the next thirty seconds, and that I possess a strong and adequate immune system.

I am not afraid of germs.

Agreed. Cleaning your hands in hot water and antibacterial soap is going to kill any fecal matter that may have gotten on your hands. (I assume that's what your fear is being that urine is sterile.) I sometimes use a towel to open the bathroom door, other times not. I honestly don't think about it. I clean my hands consistently, and I have never gotten a public bathroom related illness. A certain amount of germs are necessary to build your immune system. Germs are inevitable, and unavoidable. Quit being pansies.:flowerforyou: