Public Restroom Flushing

Options

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I flush it with my hand, knowing full well that I am going to wash my hands in the next thirty seconds, and that I possess a strong and adequate immune system.

I am not afraid of germs.

This.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm a foot flusher :blushing:
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Definitely foot! I work in Walmart and the bathrooms can be very disgusting. I also use my elbow to open and close the stall doors.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I flush it with my hand, knowing full well that I am going to wash my hands in the next thirty seconds, and that I possess a strong and adequate immune system.

this!

Same. I can't remember ever jumping through hoops to use a public restroom. Seems easier to just sit your butt down, flush the toilet normally, wash your hands, then slap on some hand sanitizer after you walk out and just be on your way. Nothing scary-gross about it overall unless you're sticking your hands in poo.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options

this
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I'm a foot flusher. I hate when I have to pull the handle to get out. I have waited up to 5 mins. for someone to walk in. :laugh: True story.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    For the foot flushers:

Would you rather flush with your hands and then immediately wash them

or

with your shoe, which won't get washed, which will touch your floors, your hands when you take them off, your babies and dogs chew on or play with them, thus passing that back to your when you kiss your babies or dogs, etc....?
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I use my hand. I use plenty of soap and warm water when I wash them.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I am more concered about what I touch after I wash my hands, but I still try to avoid it if I can. But it's hard unlocking the door with your feet.
  • mcshoelovin22
    mcshoelovin22 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I squat and flush with my foot. If I dont clean the toilet I dont trust it
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I use my foot/hand....depends on where the bathroom is. I dont have a huge thing about germs anyway. I figure, if my body is around the germs, then ill build of an immune system. No need to be scared of everything these days..sheesh!
  • geekpryncess
    geekpryncess Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    So all of you who use your foot or tp to flush, what do you use to turn on the water with when you wash your hands? Because all the other people who do use their hand to flush, then also used their hand to turn on the water faucet, presumably. And open the stall door.

I don't fret too much about it. I wash my hands thoroughly and go about my day. I have a good immune system too. I definitely like things to be clean, but I don't do any crazy things to avoid everyday germs.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I use my foot and a paper towel to open the door.....esp at work b/c the ppl from the other dept that use our bathroom are freaking animals...it's gross
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    For the foot flushers:

or

with your shoe, which won't get washed, which will touch your floors, your hands when you take them off, your babies and dogs chew on or play with them, thus passing that back to your when you kiss your babies or dogs, etc....?

OMG, this this this!!!! I can't believe nobody has brought that up until now. Don't a lot of people jump onto their beds with their shoes still on or tuck their feet up on the couch at their homes? AFTER foot-flushing?? *Shudder*
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    For the foot flushers:

or

OMG, this this this!!!! I can't believe nobody has brought that up until now. Don't a lot of people jump onto their beds with their shoes still on or tuck their feet up on the couch at their homes? AFTER foot-flushing?? *Shudder*

Nope, shoes come off as soon as you walk in the house. Why would I track in the dirt off the street/park/subway/ferry into my home?
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    You wash your hands anyways (i hope!) so it doesnt matter. just dont touch the door handle after you wash cause youll get the germs back from the ppl that didnt wash
  • Ender126
    Options
    I guess this is the perfect area to share this story.

So one day after my Physical Training on the Navy base I went to take a shower. NOW THESE SHOWERS ARE RIGHT NEXT TO THE BATHROOM WITH ABOUT 6 URINALS LINED UP. I'm mid shower when another Navy guy walks in. The showers are set up as open and in a rectangular shape. The other Navy guy decides to turn around and PEE in the middle of the showers!!!!!!

I was like dude, WTF????
  • Findekano
    Findekano Posts: 116
    Options
    I guess this is the perfect area to share this story.

So one day after my Physical Training on the Navy base I went to take a shower. NOW THESE SHOWERS ARE RIGHT NEXT TO THE BATHROOM WITH ABOUT 6 URINALS LINED UP. I'm mid shower when another Navy guy walks in. The showers are set up as open and in a rectangular shape. The other Navy guy decides to turn around and PEE in the middle of the showers!!!!!!

I was like dude, WTF????

Peeing in the shower is a God-given right, but not while someone else is in there with you. Just wrong.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I would love to see some of the foot flushers enjoy the splendor that is festival portaloos.

Hehehe. True!
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Totally squat and foot flush. I don't know why people think if things look clean they are clean. Kitchen counters and phones look fine and are covered in ecoli; looks can be deceiving. I'm glad one other poster mentioned singing their ABCs. That is essential. I'm mortified with how horribly people wash their hands--hardly any soap and just a few seconds under the water. I actually prefer to use alcohol hand sanitizer, which is more effective than soap when no grim or dirt is actually on hands.

Oh and the door touching issue--I never touch it. I'll usually just nudge the bottom of the door closed with the bottom of my foot and nudge it back open when I'm done. I've never had anyone bust in on me and I'd care a lot less about that then touching the filthy door. If it's a single stall bathroom and I wouldn't have the heads up of hearing people walking past other stalls--I use something long to flick or push the lock closed (and toss it and use something new to flick it open).

Basically, I never make contact (with a paper towel or otherwise) with one single thing in a public restroom.

On another note--what do you do with your purse? I saw a recent statistic that a majority of women will put their purse on the floor of the restroom (and that it's contributing to large amounts of ecoli on restaurant tables)! That strikes me as so foul. I wouldn't put mine on the door hang--let alone the floor. I don't get how people don't consider how transferable bacteria is...

I don't get how go through life trying avoiding germs. I wonder how many times a year you get sick. I haven't been seriously ill since 1989. (Well except that sinusitis I got in 1997. I almost forgot about that.)

In response, I haven't been sick in over four years.That's about the average for me and that's quite fantastic compared to most. The immune system is based on a number of things and many here seem to be failing to consider what diet and rest do. Just brashly exposing yourself to bacteria isn't boosting you up. You're already going to encounter adequate amounts of bacteria just sitting on common chairs, touching tables at restaurants, hugging people, etc. There is just no need to take in extra filth by not taking preventative measures in a public restroom or when dealing with some of the most soiled surfaces like keyboards and cell phones.

I'm also put off by people's misunderstanding of hand sanitizer. There is a huge difference between antibacterial products and alcohol sterilizer. Yes, antibacterial products build resistant bacteria because when you use them a portion of the bacteria that the sanitizer comes in contact with still survive and grow stronger. However, when you use alcohol hand sanitizer anything touched with the alcohol is killed on contact and never becomes resistent. Furthermore, I don't know why this process of interacting in the bathroom would become overwhelming for you, "I don't know how you get through life?" Quite well, thanks. I'm usually the fastest woman in the bathroom; it's quite little effort really for an enormous payoff.

I also think the accusations toward people who are cautious as being fearful or scared of germs is ridiculous. I have a fire extinguisher in my house too and home owners insurance--I'm not sitting in the corner terrified of my house burning down, but caution and prevention is certainly wise. It's also purely logical to do things right or not at all. If you're going to do a shabby job washing hands or you're going to turn a filthy faucet on and re-touch it when you turn it off--what's the point? Who is wasting more time--the person who washes their hands only to immediately return them to their original state, or the person who uses a clear towel or uses alcohol and actually succeeds in having clean hands?