Is this true, and if so, what do you think?!

Options
537231_525092940858389_1676060287_n.png

If this is accurate...wow...

Makes me think twice about ever giving THEM my business...

Replies

• diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Nope it does not change my mind.

Morality does not coincide with my nutritional needs.
  • FGVC1188
    FGVC1188 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Dont care.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    ANTI-union? Holy ****, I may have to find a local whole foods to do more shopping at now...
  • grgnelson
    grgnelson Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It is his company, if they don't want to work for him for the wages and benefits he is offering, find another job. I'll be shopping there tonight.
  • Findekano
    Findekano Posts: 116
    Options
    Nope it does not change my mind.

Morality does not coincide with my nutritional needs.

I've got other food sources, but to each his own.

So you still want to shop there. Do you think any other action should be taken here? Or that's just fine and dandy?

Personally, I feel like any legal intervention would be treading into iffy territory as to the company's rights. I'd rather use the free market to express my distaste.
  • Findekano
    Options
    Honestly, though, Walmart is the same, and I suspect a good deal of other places are, too. When I was trained at WM, they showed us a video telling us how bad unions are and that they would take our money and we should never sign anything given to us by a union organizer or rep.

It's just that Whole Foods has this sort of clean and responsible image. You just don't expect these kind of tactics from them.
  • n0ob
    Options
    There are LOTS of companies that will be going to 30 hour shifts for employees due to the new health care laws.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I can't afford to shop there, so boycotting it will be easy. I hate ****ers like that.

That said, I am below the poverty line and shop at Wal-Mart. :embarassed: They are just as horrible to their workforce. If I ever get the money, though, I will happily support those who treat their employees well. Good health doesn't have to mean screwing all the little people below you.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't shop there because of the prices.
  • Findekano
    Options
    I can't afford to shop there, so boycotting it will be easy. I hate ****ers like that.

That said, I am below the poverty line and shop at Wal-Mart. :embarassed: They are just as horrible to their workforce. If I ever get the money, though, I will happily support those who treat their employees well. Good health doesn't have to mean screwing all the little people below you.

WM isn't too horrible. The pay is decent, and it's fairly easy to get on as full time after you've worked there for a year or two. But they HATE unions, and god help you if you get sick for more than three days in 6 months.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I think the story is accurate as I've read similar things about him recently. I don't shop there very often as the closest one is more than 30 miles away but... I probably will still go there as they carry a lot of items I can't find anywhere else. I'll just be nicer to the employess than I already am.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    John Mackey is a total nutjob. He's famous for it. Look up "Rahodeb" for more :)

I still shop at WF, because it's the only decent grocery store in my area. Also, if I avoided every business that had objectionable political views behind it, I would spend most of my time researching where to shop and what not to buy and most things would be off the table.
  • Skratchie
    Skratchie Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The only way you know FOR SURE how the work force that produces your food, clothing and other items is treated, is to do everything yourself. Grow your own food, make your own clothing (after you shear the sheep for wool, and grow your own cotton, then spin it and make it into fabric), make your own shoes ...

It's fine to have a social conscience, but where do you draw a line?

My feeling is if people don't like the conditions in which they work, they need to find a way to improve their station in life. Don't like working part time without benefits? Find someone who will hire you full time. But the reality is, with the new healthcare laws, you're going to see a lot more of this sort of thing in the retail industry, regardless of whether the product is food, clothing, or nuts & bolts.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    I don't shop there, but it is more do to the customer base and the prices, rather then the working conditions. the part time thing for health care is done by many companies. From what I have heard about the founder of this company, he is more active in making sure his employees are taken care of, but at the end of the day he is in business to make money.

I will stick to my local supermarket.
  • v_woolf
    v_woolf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    support local small grocers!

There are soooo many of them in my town, it's hard to see why anyone would ever go one of the big chains!
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    People have a choice to work there,nobody is holding a gun to their heads.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Then why do the workers seem to love their job everytime I go in?

I worked in the Steel Workers Union for 18 yrs and now I have worked for them man 21 yrs and I'll pick the man.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You will be hard pressed to find a retail store or restaurant that does not limit hours for most of their employees in order to avoid benefits. The new healthcare laws lower what the legal number is, but the practice has been in place for decades. Ditto for the unions.

You think the people selling you the food are bad, you should see how the people growing the food work!
  • n0ob
    Options
    You think the people selling you the food are bad, you should see how the people growing the food work!

I grew up in a farming community, have many relatives and friends who are farmers, and worked at an ag experiment station all through high school. Not a one of them grew anything that would be considered "organic".

When I eat soybeans (as I do frequently) I feel comfort in knowing that they were grown by someone just like my uncle (who happened to have a good soybean crop on the land he farms this year).
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    That applies to most companies and industries.