Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    You can always eat organ meats.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I often wonder WHY people aren't eating enough vegetables. I've looked at some friends' Food Diaries and I'm shocked at how little 'almost zero calories' foods they aren't eating. I make a huge bowl of salad, loaded with vegetables, with just lemon juice and a tiny bit of evoo and salt, containing barely any calories (definitely less than 100) and it makes me full and satisfied. People are missing out!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    hmm, kinda weird.
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    also try mashing them up, and adding to other dishes. Jerry Seinfeld's wife has a cookbook on this..it's for kids, but the recipes look delicious and then you don't taste the veggies!
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Ditto all the people who've said tastebuds change, so keep trying, and who've said that the problem is in the preparation.

If you live in a decent-sized city, you might find out if there's a tapas restaurant or even a vegetarian restaurant with a great reputation. Maybe eating some truly amazing veggies prepared by a highly trained chef will convince you it's the prep, not the veggies! Then ask the chef for some suggestions!

Best of luck to you.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Try steaming broccoli and tossing it in a teaspoon of butter and then seasoning it. Or just throw something into your pasta dishes. Everyone needs vegetables
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You can always eat organ meats.

^^ excellent advice ^^ Liver, intestines and kidneys have all kinds of great nutrients that most people get from vegetables. Personally, I'd rather just eat the vegies. Kale... mmmmm.... it's the steak of the vegetable kingdom....
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Any advice would be great! :)

get over yourself and eat your vegetables would be my advice.

I used to date a girl that would ***** and moan about how she wanted to lose weight but she wouldn't change the slightest thing in her diet. Then she'd turn around and yell at her son for not eating his veggies.

I don't see anyone being sucessfull if they can't eat at least a few meals a day with the main focus being on fueling thier body rather then satifying thier palate.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Are we talking a situation where veggies LITERALLY make you gag, or you just don't care for them. If they're not making you gag, you can make yourself eat them, even if you don't enjoy them. Eventually, you will find yourself liking a good many veggies. Experiment with different cooking methods, as well. Sometimes the flavor of a food completely alters from one cooking method to another. A stir fry (use EVOO, not butter or vegetable oil) over pasta or rice might be better for you. It mixes your veggies with the meat so that they pick up the flavor of the meat and the veggies don't taste so bland.
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm not a strict vegetarian, but I truly believe that maxim: "Eat good food. Mostly plants. Not too much."

And you will be surprised by the side benefits of eating a lot of veggies. I sleep better, get fewer migraines, and when I get them they're much less severe. All that processed food was not helping!
  • MzzNkki
    MzzNkki Posts: 57
    Options
    bump i hate!! veggies lol
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower and broc cheese? I can eat that on it's own.

Roasted butternut squash, parsnips or sweet potato chips?

Sweede in your mash?
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You should eat more veggies. I would try cooking them differently. For example, my husband can't stand raw mushrooms but loves them cooked. I don't like cooked carrots or carrots IN things, but on their own I'll eat them. Try playing around with them to find what you like.
    If all else fails, cut them small and hide them in other food.
  • smit5852
    smit5852 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have known people who for health, preventive, and/or weight reasons have been on zero carb diets. That would remove all your pastas and breads, however. Vegetables are really necessary, especially if you are eating foods that translate to high sugar impact on your blood (pastas, potatoes) to help mitigate oxidative damage.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Put them in a blender with tomato sauce. You can easily hide vegetables in pasta sauce and you won't even know they are in there. Completely puree them so you can't feel any chunks.

You need vegetables. You need A LOT of vegetables.

This. I also put them in soups (pureed), and I'll sneak a handful of spinach in a protein shake (can't tell). Stuff like that.
  • resistance_freak
    Options
    check out Dr. Greg Ellis' work at the following website:

www.byebyecarbs.com

I have had fantastic results without eating ANY vegetables. Lower BP, Cholesterol, glucose levels, and triglycerides, not to mention lower weight and bodyfat %.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Never done it, but heard it's good...
    try "juicing" or smoothies and mix the fruits and veggies together. I agree with another fellow MFP member...there is no substitute for veggies so you have to be creative. They are NECESSARY :)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I have known people who for health, preventive, and/or weight reasons have been on zero carb diets. That would remove all your pastas and breads, however. Vegetables are really necessary, especially if you are eating foods that translate to high sugar impact on your blood (pastas, potatoes) to help mitigate oxidative damage.

try going oober low carb for a month then tell us how the veggies taste
  • Dani_M_1984
    Dani_M_1984 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Any advice would be great! :)

get over yourself and eat your vegetables would be my advice.

I used to date a girl that would ***** and moan about how she wanted to lose weight but she wouldn't change the slightest thing in her diet. Then she'd turn around and yell at her son for not eating his veggies.

I don't see anyone being sucessfull if they can't eat at least a few meals a day with the main focus being on fueling thier body rather then satifying thier palate.

i appreciate all comments and advice but ur rudeness is just unnecessary!
  • herdthinner
    herdthinner Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I make soups with lots of veggies and eat from it every day. I don't cook them for very long, to preserve some crunchiness.

That's mostly because I can't get up early enough in the morning to have more than 30 minutes total to get ready for work, so I make heat-and-eat meals like soups and giant bowls of mixed berries to eat for breakfast and/or pack for work.