Is chewing on ice the same as drinking water?

Options
I ask this because it's hard for me drink water just to drink it but I will find myself chewing on ice a lot. I actually love to chew on ice. It's not an addiction, I just really like the feel, taste and refreshing coolness of it.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    It's hell on your teeth.
    But you are drinking water.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Ice is just the solid form of water so why would it be any different?
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Yep, and burning a few extra calories........Your body has to work to warm it up!
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I LOVE chewing on ice. My husband gives me a hard time for rating dining experiences based on their quality of chewable ice. As a matter of fact I am wanting to right now... hmm
  • Makeda1211
    Makeda1211 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yep, and burning a few extra calories........Your body has to work to warm it up!

Woo hoo, now I don't feel so bad about it..... good deal.
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i know you said that it isn't and addiction - but sometimes it is a sign that you need more Iron.

:)
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Are you swallowing the ice after chewing it or spitting it out?
  • donnaypb
    donnaypb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sonic ice = YUMMY!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    If you chew ice a lot, make sure you aren't deficient of something in your diet.
    Doctors use the term "pica" to describe craving and chewing substances that have no nutritional value — such as ice, clay, cornstarch or paper. Short-lived pica is very common in otherwise-healthy children. On the other hand, craving and chewing ice (pagophagia) is often associated with iron deficiency anemia.

Less commonly, other nutritional problems may cause you to crave and chew ice. And in some individuals, pica is a sign of emotional problems, such as stress, obsessive-compulsive disorder or a developmental disorder.

A thorough medical evaluation can help determine if pica is due to an underlying medical condition. If the cause of pica is an emotional or developmental issue, cognitive behavioral therapy may be helpful.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chewing-ice/AN01278
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I like chewing on ice too but it's really bad for your teeth. Chips away at the enamel.
  • jensnewstart
    jensnewstart Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I started my ice addiction when I was anemic, no longer anemic but love chomping on ice!

Used to have a bag of ice a week! Now down to 1-2 cups a day.
  • Christy175
    Christy175 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Listening to someone chew on ice is one of the most obnoxious sounds I have ever heard.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You should check your iron levels if you feel compelled to chew ice. (I note that the OP said she doesn't)

As far as hydration, it's exactly the same as water if you're getting the same mass as you would liquid water.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    It's water, but not as much as you think. Water expands as it freezes.

Look, mom! I learned something in science class!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    HMmN7.gif
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It depends on if it was ice before it was frozen. Iced coffee isn't water, for example.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Only if you make your ice cubes out of water in their liquid state. Once they freeze they're no longer liquid, they're solids now. Solids are not liquids.

I hope this was helpful.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    If you chew ice a lot, make sure you aren't deficient of something in your diet.
    Doctors use the term "pica" to describe craving and chewing substances that have no nutritional value — such as ice, clay, cornstarch or paper. Short-lived pica is very common in otherwise-healthy children. On the other hand, craving and chewing ice (pagophagia) is often associated with iron deficiency anemia.

Less commonly, other nutritional problems may cause you to crave and chew ice. And in some individuals, pica is a sign of emotional problems, such as stress, obsessive-compulsive disorder or a developmental disorder.

A thorough medical evaluation can help determine if pica is due to an underlying medical condition. If the cause of pica is an emotional or developmental issue, cognitive behavioral therapy may be helpful.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chewing-ice/AN01278

that explains a lot actually. I was anemic and have a hard time absorbing iron. I loved ice tea when I lived in California and the more ice the better.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    It's water, but not as much as you think. Water expands as it freezes.

Look, mom! I learned something in science class!

tumblr_lu6jtpJBSY1r0ix14o1_500.gif
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    uhm. Yes.

Also when you do drink water, drink it cold.It helps speed up your metabolism just a little.