Absolutely livid at husband!

Options
I started MFP on the 7th January and things have been going really well. Apart from a few hiccups have stuck to diet for over 12 days now and have lost 3lb.

I take medication at night which causes a massive increase in appetite-this is the reason I gained weight in the first place. What I have been doing is having 200 cals for breakfast and lunch and then eating in the evening to use up the rest of my allowance as otherwise I cannot sleep due to hunger.

Did brilliant yesterday and saved up 700 cals for the evening, but when I reached for a bag of low cal crisps my husband started "well this is a useless diet,.....you cannot be THAT hungry...I thought you wanted to lose weight".

I decided to leave the crisps and have spent all last night awake and hungry.

This morning I have been in tears and have told husband I might as well quit diet as he is using it to bully me.

Last time I was on a successful diet I ended that too because of my husband as he made a big issue out of eating 5 tic tic sweets.

Just really upset and angry now. He insists he is not bullying me and is "just trying to help".

Replies

• mumreeder
    mumreeder Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Easier for me to say but just try to ignore him - or maybe ask him not to comment on what you are eating and when. If you are in your calorie budget you can eat what you like really! Although it is best to try to eat as healthy as possible - but I still have biscuits and the odd chocolate as I have enough "calories left" to eat them (otherwise I feel I am denying myself and seeing as I am going to be eating like this for the rest of my life now, I don't want to go without foods I like to eat!.)
    Sounds like you know what your body needs and when - don't quit - you will only be more down on yourself - go on - you can do it.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Does he know you have been crying over this? that is so ****ty!!!!! That would really upset me too. Does he even know anything about eating healthy? You had a 700 calroies and chose a low cal snack. So what! is he overweight? Jealous of your motivation?
  • fatjavotte
    fatjavotte Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I would have eaten the whole bag in front of him!
    Seriously, if you have told him it upsets you and he still does it, then it is bullying.
    You don't need your husband's approval before you eat something.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Good morning (where I am)! One of my cardinal rules as a husband is 'don't talk about diet'. No win situation. :happy: Perhaps explain to him why this is so difficult for you, but why this is so important to you, and what sort of support you would like from him. (After your fury passes!) I'm sure he didn't mean to hurt you - - we guys are just, well, sort of stupid :flowerforyou:

As to your hunger. Do I understand that you have a 200 calorie breakfast, and a 200 calorie lunch, and a 700 calorie dinner? That counts up to only 1100 calories which is dangerously low. I'm not surprised you're so hungry! Losing weight cannot be accomplished by simply drastically cutting back your calories like that.

I know you're venting and looking for support right now, but I think if you could take the time to go read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

That diet is simple, guaranteed to work, not painful and unpleasant like it sounds like your current diet might be, and various forms of that diet are what most of the success stories on this website come from.
  • akhilton
    Options
    Does he think he is helping you in his own way?

Sounds like he needs a lesson in tact.
  • wheniwas20
    wheniwas20 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Does he want to support you or sabotage you?
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    what an a**!! he should be more supportive of you. I think my fiance doesn't really understand me wanting to run races and work out all the time because he's not into it, but he doesn't bully me about it.
  • s50s
    s50s Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    awh man :( that sucks. family, friends and hubby's are meant to be our cheerleaders and supporters!

as a woman though , i think that at times, we can be a bit emotional about things and take it as always being meant in a horrible way.

i think you should explain things to him, such as not commenting on your food choices etc but also draw some boundaries around what YOU CHOOSE to get upset about. if what he said upset you, turn it into motivation. show him that you can do this!! (you totally can!)

also, look at what sort of foods you are eating to fill you up. try having veggies or high fibre foods to sustain you for longer.

all the best with this!!

:flowerforyou:
  • cara523
    cara523 Posts: 116
    Options
    my answer would be " thank you for your concern but this isnt about you, its about me" and do what you have to do
  • spurlygirl
    Options
    With lack of sleep and ending the night with a unsupportive comment from someone you love, it's tough to persue your weight loss. I believe in communication and although he probably thought his comment was harmless, tell him how it truly felt.

I remember as a teen and how my mother (as sweet as she is) made comments of how I need to lose weight and then within 15 minutes she'd ask if I wanted a slice of pizza! Double standard! Some individuals just don't know how to be supportive and so you'll have to set some ground rules.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Prove him wrong!
  • karen4ever
    karen4ever Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think he is trying to help in a really bad way, He probably as the old understanding of diets, where you have to deprive yourself of everything you use to eat.
    In a way his way of thinking is probably how we all use to think when trying to diet in the past, and then we'd fail due to wanting to eat everything we deprived ourselfs of.

What he needs to know is that it isn't just a diet that will last a couple of weeks or a month or 2, but something you want to do permanently, a lifestyle change.

And the only things you won't eat are the things you know you can live without for the rest of your life. Everything else has to be involved aslong as it fits your macros and your not over indulging in one thing. (eg. eating 5 packs of crisps instead of just the 1)

I think you both need to have a chat :-)
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If he's like my ex used to be any sort of comments will go in one ear and out the other!! ..and he always said it was because he was trying to help me..yeh..right!!
    Far better if you possibly can is to just keep the fact that you are dieting to yourself and then he won't have the ammunition for any retaliating comments.
    I used to find this the same with people around me when I was going out a lot. Just to look at a bag of crisps or pick up a small bite of something would end up with endless remarks..."Thought you were supposed to be dieting!!"
    Hope you won't get too dispondent..we are all rooting for you sweetie! ..XXX .. :flowerforyou:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    . And eat more than 1100 calories. Read the link provided by Emanyalpsid . Good stuff.
    Eat . Well.
    Exercise.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Some men can sound like such *kitten* when they really think they're helping. Remember, guys tend to talk to one another really bluntly and it doesn't occur to them that this behaviour doesn't work well with their spouses.

You need to, when you're calmer, talk to him about what you're doing and that when you make a choice that he doesn't understand he has a choice, be quiet or ask what you did so that you can have a treat or whatever might work for you.

Explain to him that you're not on a 'fad' diet, you're eating a smart, all inclusive diet that allows you to have treats so long as they call within your goal. He may well be thinking of the restrictive diets we've all been through at one time or another.

Good luck in talking to him, and don't let his harsh comments get to you.
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    That's called abuse. It's mental/emotional abuse. The only difference between physical abuse and emotional abuse is the choice of weapons. Everything can be used as a tool or a weapon. Words are no exception. No wonder you were crying.

You were crying because he was treating you like a bad child. This makes him the authority figure and you subservient rather than an equal in a partnership. That's what abuse is. It's very destructive.

It's time for you to find yourself. You sound lost, but you are on your way. As you gain confidence in your ability to stick to a diet no matter what, you will gain confidence in yourself. When you gain confidence in yourself, he will not be able to sabotage you like that.

My husband tried to sabotage me as well. Every time I started a diet, he wanted to go out to dinner that night. Finally I said no because I was on a diet. So he made other plans without my participation and invited people over, which required me to prepare food that wasn't on my diet. I told him that he was responsible for the food because I wasn't able to assume that responsibility - and as long as he was handling the hors d'oeuvres, he should be certain to include (types of things I needed to stay on my diet). This frustrated him greatly, and only then could we have a discussion about how he was sabotaging me.

I reminded him that for 50 years, I had never been fat, but these extra pounds I now carry around began to creep up as soon as I met him. I used to laugh when my family told me that my weight must be his fault. But now I don't any more and I am going to become the me that I want to be - whether he is with me or against me. And if he's against me, he should look at that - giving it real thought - because I don't choose to be married to someone who isn't my friend and I am prepared to do what I have to do to be sure that isn't happening.

My husband is now a great supporter. I've reclaimed my place - in my life and in my marriage. It's so much easier now.

But I do KNOW that there are those abusers who will do anything that it takes to make themselves feel superior to you and to make you feel bad about yourself. That feeling bad about yourself is what he feeds off. Your fear.

Do not let him see your fear. Do not flaunt your fear (I can't succeed) in front of him because that's exactly what such people want to hear from you. You must flaunt your self-confidence and self-assurance. You must never see yourself as HIS victim. You must never see yourself as "a" victim.

You must take control of YOUR life. Then you will rediscover the "YOU" of you.

Meanwhile, saving most of your calories for dinner sounds a little like your sabotaging you in a similar way that you are allowing your husband to sabotage you.

I'm not sure how many pounds you have to lose, but I began with 120 to lose. Only 29 pounds down and I am such a different person than the one I was when I began. Something incredibly wonderful has happened to me. I am growing will-power, and with that, my self-esteem has blossomed. The shame that I lived in is gone. My awareness that I can do anything that I set my mind to is phenomenal!

You go girl! You can do it.
  • RoseThePenguin
    RoseThePenguin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but are you doing this for him or you?

Don't sabotage something you want out of spite. That's childish and stupid. Sure, he upset you and he shouldn't have, but by giving up all together you're saying, "Well, if you're going to annoy me I don't want a better life for myself, so there."

Which is stupid.

Don't you agree?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    When people question what I'm eating, I ask them, "So how many calories have I eaten so far today and what is my calorie goal?"
  • Dreajewkes
    Options
    Stick your tongue out at him and say "Nuh uhhh!" and chomp down on those healthy snacks! He is not in charge of your new life style plan.