Absolutely livid at husband!

Options

Replies

• lilmissbamaqueen
    Options
    When people question what I'm eating, I ask them, "So how many calories have I eaten so far today and what is my calorie goal?"

THIS ALL DAY AND TWICE ON SUNDAYS!!
  • shannonhinman
    Options
    My husband says dumb things. He doesn't have the same problems I do and he is actually trying to gain weight right now. I had a frank conversation with him and told him I don't think he understands how hard it is for me and the best way he can support me is to not say anything. I have found myself sneaking food because I don't want him to see me, but that is not right. I think we are at an understanding now. Hopefully you can talk to your husband and he will understand.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the lovely messages. I genuinely believe my husband was trying to help me but he has limited communication skills and so often puts his foot in it. He has been very apologetic today and BOUGHT ME 2 CREME EGGS AS A PEACE OFFERING! (He tries his best but always gets things wrong-a peace offering of chocolate is probably not the most appropriate gift!)
    Other than the 2 creme eggs I have stuck to the diet today and have 400 cals left. I have a pasta bake for tea and then some apples as treats so hopefully should do it. Also walked the dogs today so think I may get some more allowance for this.
    He has now promised to be more supportive.

Could he be trying to sabotage your efforts? I'd do some reading about that and see if his behavior fits the bill. Then, I agree with others who suggest ignoring him.
  • hostetlerdebbie
    Options
    You have already lost 3 lbs -- WAY TO GO!!! So please don't quit. Perhaps you could use a little bit of sarcasm on him. "You know, I have lost 3 lbs. How many have you lost?" And then keep on going, to prove him wrong.

Oh wait, I see you just posted a note saying he apologized & offered you a peace offering. Although chocolate probably wasn't the best choice, it's a start.

The next time he sounds critical, perhaps you could give him some good suggestions of how he can best help you. You might also want to explain how you're doing your diet. He may be unaware that you eat most of your calories in the evening.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Regardless of your food choices, this is YOUR journey. People like to judge. They feel entitled for some reason. Often times it is better to not make the grand announcement that says "I am on a diet." "I am changing how I eat forever." I imagine there are very few of us who got this right the first time out of the gate.

Less face it. If we got 10 random MFP people here to give their opinion on what you eat and what you consider "healthy" versus what they consider "healthy" I doubt if we'd get 100% agreement. And these are people who are doing the work and seeing results. So regardless, each of us has to find our own way that works solely for us. My program won't work for you and your program won't work for me. But if my program works for me and you program works for you then that is the whole point!

I'd have a real heart to heart with your husband about this issue. Get your talking points in order on paper first so he can't fluster you. Lay out the ground rules of your eating. Your eating is YOUR eating. You make your choices for a reason. You are allowed to make changes to your eating, etc. He may not critique you on your choices unless you ask his opinion. He is allowed to eat his own food his own way. You are responsible for you. He is responsible for himself. You cannot change how he eats or thinks, but you can ask that he keep his opinions to himself. If he wants to help you lay out some ground rules that will help and tell him examples that won't help, etc.

In any case this is YOUR journey and you are allowed to make up the rules as you go. There are a zillion diet books out there and even the experts don't agree with each other. Choose a plan that works for you and do it. If you decide you don't like that plan you are allowed to change to another until infinity and you find what works for you. It doesn't hurt your husband for you to do things your way. Does he do everything the way you want him to? I sincerely doubt that! No one would and I'm sure we've all tried that one with our husbands! Lol!!
  • robertagibson350
    Options
    I'm sure your husband wants you to meet your goal but he is going around it the wrong way. Let him know that in order for you to be successful you need his support. When your on a diet and you have a partner, they need to be your cheer leader. Maybe he doesn't know that you are counting calories and there are so many calories you need to consume in a day. Sit down with him and show him your plan, maybe once you explain it to him he will be a better support.
    If that doesn't work then do what CherokeeBabe said.......just kidding.....communication is key, sit down and explain your process to your husband...Hope this helps and keep up the good work :) your doing great.....
  • Jalyn77
    Jalyn77 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've had similar issues in my marriage because my husband is extremely consistent and active every single day. It took years of me pushing myself to be as active as he is, and he use to make comments that upset me too. I really don't think he was trying to hurt me - he just wanted to see me do what I set out to do.

I finally realized that I have to find what works for me. I don't like jumping on my bike in the middle of winter or playing tennis with ice on the ground like he does. Brrrr! And I can't eat the same dinner of sauteed veggies and ground beef every single night. So I figured out what works for me - I got a gym membership and lift weights - something he would never do. And my diet looks different than his. But it works - it's just not his.

All that to say, you have to find what works for you. Your husband obviously has a different idea in his mind of what it's supposed to look like. It can't be a "diet" - it has to be a lifestyle change. Which means you will have a treat on occasion or whatever.

I also agree with some comments made about maybe you're not eating enough during the day. I can't see your food diary, so it's just based on the comment you made in your original post. I don't know what you're doing for exercise, but if you're dealing with so much hunger, then you should focus more energy on exercising. I lift weights and do cardio 5-6 days each week and have been seeing progress.

You can do this! Oh and try not to talk about what your doing. That's one I struggle with a lot.
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    My long term partner was a little suspicious of my plan at first. I didn't feel like going into a lengthy explanation of my plan and goals, because I know things will change as I progress. I'm making a huge life change. I don't need to be a size 0 but I do need to be healthy. So I went to the store, bought healthy items, bought vegetables and fruits. He curiously came along and questioned choices. I answered.
    Two days later he came home with a crate of vegetables (not even all the 'right' kind) and a juicer saying "Honey, I have your solution!" I thanked him since, once he bought the appropriate vegetables and fruits, it will be a great way to add more servings of fruit and vegetables to our diet. BUT I'm not interested in some fad diet of drinking only juice for several weeks. I want to learn how to live healthy every day while still enabling myself to enjoy life -so far, so good-
    Then a few days after that, I joined a gym. I was tired of the bickering about what equipment to get at home and where to put it. (Keep in mind, he's never been on a diet or worked out to work out). I put my foot down, said "this is for me" and joined a wonderful gym just down the road. That seemed to irritate the hell out of him. Suddenly he was all, "You're wasting money, you won't go, blah blah." I turned my head, flashed him my 'your five seconds away from death' look and said evenly, "Do NOT turn into your mother right now..."
    His mother has quite the history of questioning every purchase or thing he has done. She always assumes failure. Well, my comment took him back and really forced him to think about what he had said. The next day, he was a completely different man. He wanted to know real information about my gym and my plan. And, when I come home he asks, "Are you doing the gym tonight? What should I make for dinner?" He's now my supportive partner and joining the journey. :flowerforyou:
    (I also promised I'd walk around in the nude more often when I had my self-esteem back, that motivates a man pretty well too) :laugh:

Lesson of this long story: Sometimes the guy is a jerk (I almost married one ages ago) and sometimes they just don't realize the extent of what they're doing. Sometimes you have to take a calming breath, give them something to think about and hope they realize. But throughout it all, remind yourself that this is for YOU! YOU CAN DO IT, YOU WILL GET THERE, YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE.

Set yourself mini-goals along the way and as you achieve each of those, you'll start to feel more motivated and more powerful. Hell, make yourself a chart if you need one. And, when you need to vent or need extra support, we're all here too. :wink:
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options

One of my biggest problems is emotional eating. I am very emotionally sensitive and get mood swings when people upset me. This is when I pig out.

Just a suggestion: I was told to cut out sugar and white flour and refined grains like white pasta, white rice, and baked goods that contained them. I was devastated to cut those things out that I so loved. I even cried over the break up of them! But I did it and within 2 weeks I no longer craved those things. For the first time in my life at 50 years old I was no longer a slave to mindless eating of a box of crackers, a box of cereal, a bag of chips, etc. You might want to consider that approach for yourself at some point. I decided that anything without nutritional value (junk food is called junk food for a reason) did not belong in my healthy diet. From that day on my life was forever changed. Not that I never ever have these things, but they are not part of my daily/weekly diet. They are special occasion foods and I think long and hard about them because I will start to binge on them and then the cravings must be fought off all over again. Just something to consider if this makes sense to you.
  • Destynee13
    Destynee13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just remember, you are doing this for YOU! no one else. SO you feel healthy, and better about yourself. Don't let anyone take that from you. My bf is pretty similar but I know he is really just trying to help me and I can be difficult when I want something. They think that if you have any type of snack, you are falling off your course. We know that is not always true. I have to point out the nutrition on the back and explain to him sometimes and then he realizes, Oh I see! and now lays off. He only gets on me if I eat bad things now... but will say... don't do it! don't do it! in a funny way. It doesn't make me mad anymore. He needs to find a way to say things so you don't get offended, and WHEN to say them most importantly. Don't give up! :)
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    DO NOT TELL PEOPLE WHO ARE UNSUPPORTIVE THAT YOU ARE ON A DIET. I hate it when they criticise every thing you are eating and it makes the child in you say I AM GOING TO EAT THAT AND MORE!

Just try not to buy that sort of quick snack, low glycaemic index food because it is too tempting.
  • bids55
    bids55 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am a guy and I am from MARS! We are not real bright most of the time. Cuff him up side of the head. He will thank you for it later
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Good morning (where I am)! One of my cardinal rules as a husband is 'don't talk about diet'. No win situation. :happy: Perhaps explain to him why this is so difficult for you, but why this is so important to you, and what sort of support you would like from him. (After your fury passes!) I'm sure he didn't mean to hurt you - - we guys are just, well, sort of stupid :flowerforyou:

As to your hunger. Do I understand that you have a 200 calorie breakfast, and a 200 calorie lunch, and a 700 calorie dinner? That counts up to only 1100 calories which is dangerously low. I'm not surprised you're so hungry! Losing weight cannot be accomplished by simply drastically cutting back your calories like that.

I know you're venting and looking for support right now, but I think if you could take the time to go read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

That diet is simple, guaranteed to work, not painful and unpleasant like it sounds like your current diet might be, and various forms of that diet are what most of the success stories on this website come from.

This!!

Also, show him this app and explain how it works....there is plenty of room in a balanced diet for treats!
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly what your going through. I would be eating cereal and my father would be pointing at the bowl and saying to much to much. It it truly is to much then why have I lost 36 LBS since September 1st.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Bullying.

It does not mean what you think it means

This.

And "emotional abuse"? ..... Wow.

People won't seem as "mean" if you get some self-confidence.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    You don't need your husband's approval before you eat something.

Perfectly stated. Ignore him COMPLETELY when he mentions anything about your eating. If it fits into you goals, go ahead and have it. YOU know what fits and what doesn't better than he does, so disregard his "help".

Side note, instead of reaching for low cal crisps as a snack, grab a handful of carrots and hummus, or a banana or an apple. That would be even less calories that those crisps, and would almost guaranteed keep you full longer.
  • rosiecbolton
    rosiecbolton Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just found out because I walked my dogs today I have another 228 cals on my allowance! Thank goodness-did not know how I would manage today as nearly ran out of allowance. The creme eggs did not help although I did enjoy them!

Off to play with baby Anthony Jr (the cutie on my profile pic) now...
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You did put the crisps down and not eat them didn't you?

So... it worked.

If you have calories left to spare, you can simply say that it's within your allowance for today.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but you need to have a thicker skin, his words only have power if you allow it. You should have replied "I'll do this my way, and you do yours you way." Or say, "what?!? I can't hear you judging me over the sound of all this tasty crunching." People only have as much power over you as you allow them.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    One of the weird things about telling people that we're trying to lose weight is that it somehow instantly turns them into an expert. They judge every single thing we put into our mouths, and look at every bite rather than a whole day or week or the results we're getting.

And men tend to be suppportive in a different way than women (although women can be godawful mean about this kind of thing as well). Take a breath, and keep going.