• kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Another bump!

:flowerforyou:
  • begreenbe
    begreenbe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bump, I just bought a giant bag of sweet peppers at Sam's.
  • cartow
    cartow Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Add barley for the rice and mushrooms to any recipe. Great! (But, as has been said, go light on the cheese!) Red peppers are the best.
  • horses7777
    Options
    bump!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe

Yields: 4 servings
    Prep time: 35 min
    Cook time: 30 min

Ingredients:

4 medium-size sweet bell peppers (yellow, orange, green, or red)
    1/2 pound extra-lean ground beef (hamburger)
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 cup minced onion
    1 medium carrot, shredded
    1 can (28-ounce) tomatoes with liquid, cut up
    1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
    1 tablespoon firmly-packed brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Tomato ketchup or shredded cheese (your choice)*

* Remember, if you add shredded cheese to the top of your stuffed peppers, you will be adding additional calories.

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cut the tops off each pepper; pull out the stem portion and seeds. Chop enough of the tops to make 1/3 cup. Clean out the rest of the pepper so no seeds remain and the center ribs are carved out to make room for the stuffing. If pepper does not stand up straight, slice a little off the bottom of the pepper to level it out.

In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, either steam or cook peppers in boiling water until crisp-tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. NOTE: Your time may vary according to the size of the peppers. You want it to have just a slight crunch when you eat it. Be careful not to overcook them or they will be soggy and hard to stuff.

Remove peppers from water and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process; drain and set aside.

In a large frying pan over medium heat, brown ground beef; add garlic, onion, carrot, and reserved chopped peppers; sauté until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes, rice, brown sugar, basil, salt, and pepper. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until the rice is tender, approximately 30 minutes. Remove from heat.

Place peppers in a baking dish. Stuff hot meat mixture into peppers. Drizzle tops with ketchup or shredded cheese. Bake approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings (1 stuffed pepper per serving).

Per Serving - 5.6 Fat Grams, 197.8 calories
    this sounds great except use REDUCED FAT Shredded cheese and you'll be a little better off. If you are anything like me youll really want that on there, versus no cheese. yuck on no cheese! I buy the block of CABOT 75% fat free sharp cheddar and shred it on my own. 60 calories. But just pay attention to the sodium. Cheese has high sodium.
    Also i advise to use colored peppers as opposed to green peppers. The colored ones have much better flavor for stuffed peppers, much sweeter!!
  • Talus731
    Talus731 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CarlaJean140down
    CarlaJean140down Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would use shredded zuccini instead of rice and omit the brown sugar.
  • lilmissbamaqueen
    Options
    Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe

Yields: 4 servings
    Prep time: 35 min
    Cook time: 30 min

Ingredients:

4 medium-size sweet bell peppers (yellow, orange, green, or red)
    1/2 pound extra-lean ground beef (hamburger)
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 cup minced onion
    1 medium carrot, shredded
    1 can (28-ounce) tomatoes with liquid, cut up
    1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
    1 tablespoon firmly-packed brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Tomato ketchup or shredded cheese (your choice)*

* Remember, if you add shredded cheese to the top of your stuffed peppers, you will be adding additional calories.

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cut the tops off each pepper; pull out the stem portion and seeds. Chop enough of the tops to make 1/3 cup. Clean out the rest of the pepper so no seeds remain and the center ribs are carved out to make room for the stuffing. If pepper does not stand up straight, slice a little off the bottom of the pepper to level it out.

In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, either steam or cook peppers in boiling water until crisp-tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. NOTE: Your time may vary according to the size of the peppers. You want it to have just a slight crunch when you eat it. Be careful not to overcook them or they will be soggy and hard to stuff.

Remove peppers from water and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process; drain and set aside.

In a large frying pan over medium heat, brown ground beef; add garlic, onion, carrot, and reserved chopped peppers; sauté until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes, rice, brown sugar, basil, salt, and pepper. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until the rice is tender, approximately 30 minutes. Remove from heat.

Place peppers in a baking dish. Stuff hot meat mixture into peppers. Drizzle tops with ketchup or shredded cheese. Bake approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings (1 stuffed pepper per serving).

Per Serving - 5.6 Fat Grams, 197.8 calories

Sounds great! Thanks! :)
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • usteward
    usteward Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tlatrice13
    tlatrice13 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Is there a way we can save a thread? This one's awesome!
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Going to try the soup tonight....
  • jcash6
    jcash6 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Le bump
  • curlygirly80
    Options
    bump sounds delicious. I need a few new recipes to keep things exciting.
  • kw0205
    kw0205 Posts: 62
    Options
    I've got a great one I added to the recipes - it came from skinnytaste.com - http://pinterest.com/pin/178314466467880012/ - I started making these even before dieting. My husband isn't a pepper person, so I make four peppers then but the rest of the mixture into a small casserole dish for him. I also rarely have fresh cilantro, and use frozen. Absolutely delicious!!
  • kw0205
    kw0205 Posts: 62
    Options
    I've got a great one I added to the recipes - it came from skinnytaste.com - http://pinterest.com/pin/178314466467880012/ - I started making these even before dieting. My husband isn't a pepper person, so I make four peppers then but the rest of the mixture into a small casserole dish for him. I also rarely have fresh cilantro, and use frozen. Absolutely delicious!!

Here's the better link: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/11/turkey-stuffed-peppers-45-pts.html
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I tried to make "open-faced stuffed peppers" but didn't realize I had to cook the peppers prior to loading them up with goodies and popping them in the over. Lesson learned.