Thoughts on Omelettes

Options

Replies

• cleanjerksnatch
    Options

Egg whites will be lower calories, but not necessarily "healthier". There is a lot of nutrition, and healthy fats in the yolk. Whole eggs will give you more flavor, and a fuller omelette, too.

I love to make mine with a little cheese, sausage, and mushrooms. I'll usually use 2 whole eggs, and one egg white.

This is it.

Do not get caught up in the ordeal that eggs are unhealthy because they have fat, cholesterol and they're fried etc etc

Try to use either olive oil or coconut oil.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    Pfffttt.

There's nothing wrong with a good omelette. The only thing that could get you is cooking butters and cheeses. So if you're concerned use cooking spray and reduced fat cheese next time.

If you're under your calorie limit for the day I totally wouldn't worry about it. It's not a Big Mac.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    oh and i add hot sauce and sometimes sundried tomatoes to all my omelettes. so good! need to have the hot sauce.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    Lots of people freak out about eggs. I lost 170lbs and I eat a lot of eggs (yolk & all) plus all my blood levels went from very bad to very good. As others have said, it's what you add that can less healthful for you. And don't worry about a little butter either.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Oh, and one more thing, I would always avoid an egg white only omlette. No matter how it is cooked. Not just because it is unapealing to me, but because too many egg whites can be bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biotin_deficiency
  • wildechild74
    wildechild74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    daily. the protein works for me. usually breakfast and lunch when at work. simple. egg beaters, pinch of shredded cheese, tbs bacon bits, cooked in olive oil. eaten open faced on half a bagel. comes in at just above 300 cals. if i have time i jazz it up with veggies.
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    If one more person says egg whites are healthier than whole eggs I am tracking your IP, driving/flying to your house and smackin you lol. There is very LITTLE nutrition in the white. All the b vitamins are in the yolk as well as the healthy fats. If you are eating whites only to get to desired protein level and still stay within caloric range and/or fat/prot/carb ratio then fine, eat them. Just stop saying nonsense about them being somehow healthier not that you have trown away the part with all the nutrition. End rant
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Guys

I have been eating an omelette for breakfeast this passed week, people at work are saying its totally unheathy.

Any thoughts on this? And what other things are there out there good for breakfeast?

I think the people where you work are misinformed with the conventional wisdom that eggs are bad and raise cholesterol, which is not true.

Omelettes are healthy...............eggs, meat, maybe some cheese, veggies added. Covers all my bases of what I eat. Meat, fat and veggies.

My favorites are:

Any left over meat from supper the night before, onions, peppers, tomato, bit of fresh shredded cheese and spinach.

Ham, cheese, onions, peppers, tomato.

Chirizo, onion, pepper, tomato, mexican queso cheese (fresh shredded) and topped with fresh made salsa.
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I can see it being unhealthy if you load it with bacon, sausage and cheese.

Otherwise, if your filling it with veges, maybe using a few egg whites and little or no cheese, your golden.

My favorite;
    1/2 cup egg whites
    1-2 cups chopped spinach
    1/2 white onion
    1/2 yellow pepper
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    If one more person says egg whites are healthier than whole eggs I am tracking your IP, driving/flying to your house and smackin you lol. There is very LITTLE nutrition in the white. All the b vitamins are in the yolk as well as the healthy fats. If you are eating whites only to get to desired protein level and still stay within caloric range and/or fat/prot/carb ratio then fine, eat them. Just stop saying nonsense about them being somehow healthier not that you have trown away the part with all the nutrition. End rant

Ditto.

Plus the yolk is where the flavor is.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Otherwise, if your filling it with veges, maybe using a few egg whites and little or no cheese, your golden.

My favorite;
    1/2 cup egg whites
    1-2 cups chopped spinach
    1/2 white onion
    1/2 yellow pepper

If I can't load it with bacon, sausage and cheese, then why bother having one?
  • bpmartyr
    Options

Please elaborate. What is "unhealthy" about bacon, sausage or cheese? God this site drives me nuts sometimes.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

My favorite;
    1/2 cup egg whites
    1-2 cups chopped spinach
    1/2 white onion
    1/2 yellow pepper

If I can't load it with bacon, sausage and cheese, then why bother having one?

Exactly..............I don't understand this being afraid of fat and cholesterol that people are still so fatphobic.

I would puke if I ate egg whites only.............why leave out all the goodness.
  • raichhype
    raichhype Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love omlettes!

I have a 2 egg omlette (with the yolks included) with some Cathedral City Light and a tiny splash of milk :) DELICIOUS and low calories <3
  • cleanjerksnatch
    Options
    Pfffttt.

There's nothing wrong with a good omelette. The only thing that could get you is cooking butters and cheeses. So if you're concerned use cooking spray and reduced fat cheese next time.

If you're under your calorie limit for the day I totally wouldn't worry about it. It's not a Big Mac.

Don't be afraid of eating fat. Butter is not bad for you, cheese is not bad for you. Avoid low fat. What is bad for you is avoiding the essential fatty acids that metabolize fat and improve metabolism such as CLA/GLA and avoiding good oils such as olive/cocounut/flax only deter you.

What you want to avoid are ingredients such as margarine (so close to being plastic the body can't process), soybean oil (estrogen), hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated oils, etc etc etc etc.

Keep it as natural as possible and you will have more of a long term gain.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Please elaborate. What is "unhealthy" about bacon, sausage or cheese? God this site drives me nuts sometimes.

Your not the only one...........

Now, I don't use commercially made bacon or sausage as I try to stay away from the overload of nitrates. I grind my own pork loin or pork roast and season it myself for home made sausage...........soooo good.

I buy my fresh smoked bacon from the farmers in a very small town about 30 minutes from my house where they slaughter their own animals that goes in their meat market. The yummiest on the face of the earth,.

I am picky about cheese as I don't like many cheeses at all. I do like raw, whole milk cheese that comes from the local Amish and I like Mexican Queso cheese...........mmmmmm fry it and dip it in sauce. So good. And I like some of the Italian cheeses.

That is it on my cheese like.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I think the people at work don't know what they're talking about. Unless your omelet is just full of junk or something. Eggs are delish.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    wha! ha, that's funny. what are they suggesting to eat instead? As long as its not loaded with cheese,butter, etc... youre fine. I eat eggs all the time.
  • giara
    giara Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    We need protein,so if you will make eggs white ,nothing bad.i had today for breakfast 2 eggs whites omelette with mushroom and prawns.
  • bpmartyr
    Options
    wha! ha, that's funny. what are they suggesting to eat instead? As long as its not loaded with cheese,butter, etc... youre fine. I eat eggs all the time.

Just stop it! Cheese and butter are fine.