5 Truths about weight loss and people in general...

Options
1) People want to be lied to about weight maintenance and health. They want to hear that they do not need to devote time/energy to working out/activities in great amounts, but can still lose gobs of weight and better yet KEEP IT OFF. They want to hear that they won't have to spend time and money and effort preparing and portioning different foods than they eat today....

Don't believe me...?

Ask yourself how many times you hear adverts EXPLICITLY claiming things like:

You won't have to change your lifestyle...

This plan will fit with a busy lifestyle....

You cannot change your schedule so in 60 mins a weeks X.Y.Z....

Eat the foods you like....you're used to and still lose the....

A logical and sane person with critical thinking skills SHOULD THEN ASK THEMSELVES one paramount question-

WHY THEN ARE THERE SO MANY MILLIONS OF OBESE AMERICANS?

2) Most chronically and seriously overweight/obese people (if you are a 140 lbs girl who wants to lose 18 lb to get into a bikini by spring break im not talking to you) have issues with a swingy/spikey insulin response. It is amazing to me people are unaware of this fundamental issue MOST overweight people face.

What does that mean...well, there really is no point going into the minutae of the science(if I even could completely, lol) but basically insulin is a key hormone that regulates hunger//energy/anabolism through the regulation of intercellular movt. of glucose(organic energy).

Swingy insulin folks react more more severely to changes in blood sugar than others and this has 2 important manifestations for those of us who find ourselves chronically overweight:

A) If we do not eat for long stretches, we become RAVENOUSLY almost uncontrollably hungry. Ask yourself this, are you the type who when they skip breakfast can go absolutely nuts at lunch time and easily eat 2 lunches worth of food? If so, im talking to you most likely.

B) High GI (glycemic index) food, or foods that break down really rapidly in our bodies will cause us to not be full as you might think, but to get more and more hungry until we physically fill up our stomachs with food. Can you eat whole milk and cereal for days our of a salad bowl? **hand goes up**...can you eat pasta forever?....this is what im talking about.

I might go back into this, but if those are the issues/challenges; here are the solutions....

solution A) Eat smaller meals, more frequently throughout the day....NO, not snacks, MEALS. 5-6 meals work best, but even moving from 2-3 to 4 every day will help. I find for most 5 is really effective and for intense lifters/trainees 6 works even better.

A meal has every macronutrient USUALLY, protein, carbs and fats....so no, a special K bar isnt a meal. Perhaps one with fiber, a glass of milk and half a serving of almonds is IF YOUR caloric needs are quite low.

solution B) Try to limit high GI foods throughout the day allowing for ingesting some upon waking to replenish glycogen stores and after workouts(especially intense/lifting) with protein to help shuttle in nutrients/sugar to the cells when they most need it.
Make sure you have protein and high quality fiber with meals that have carbs...it helps balance out this response or "swing".

Ill work on the other 3 if people enjoy this first post....here is a preview:

3) Why calorie in calorie out is moronic......

4) Yes, you need to exercise more than 20 mins 3x a week...sorry/ yes, you will need resistance work as you get older for holistic health and LONGTERM weight maintenance.

5) You have more lifestyle choices than you probably admit to yourself....a job isnt a life, and you need to be honest about your priorities in life.

Replies

• GoldenViking
    Options
    Interesting points. I would like to hear more.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yep to all of these. I'm looking forward to your next post.

And thanks for mentioning those of us with screwed up responses to carbs. All carbs make me ravenously hungry (including plain, unsweetened oatmeal), but sugar is by far the worst. The more sugar I eat, the hungrier I get.
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Interesting points. I would like to hear more.

Get me 10 people to ask for another post, and I will post part 3 ....

Try oatmeal with natural PB and a 1/2 serving of vanilla/neutral flavored whey protein mixed in. Also, make it with lowfat milk.....1%.

Now you've added good fats/and lean dairy protein and the taste is phenomenal.

Add some berries for a perfect morning meal packed with quality cals, a good mix of macros(slightly carb heavy bc it is morning) and good protein to help keep nitrogen levels high for those who lift/otherwise place stress on their muscles through training....and we all should be, lol.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I was interested...until you said "calorie in calorie out is moronic."

So I lost 73 pounds putting less calories in and putting more calories out. And I'm not a moron. Tuned you right out.
  • Domestic_Hippie
    Domestic_Hippie Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am interested in hearing some more of what you have to say.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    My wife has been low carbing and can't lose weight shes been doing it 4month and lost 2lbs , I eat what i want and lost 136lbs so low carb doesnt work my calories in calories out as you can see works for me
  • BunnyBabyDoll
    Options
    I'm interested to hear more and the simple statement of calories in calories out is moronic because it matters a lot what kind of calories you're putting in for one thing lol.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I spy the TROLL *wave* :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • zaxx1953
    Options
    Tuning anyone right out is a mistake.....anyway, perhaps you should read the section before making any final judgements.

I would, for example, never ever say one cannot lose weight by consuming less than they expend calorically....I would however say acting as if the body is a bank account vis a vis MAINTAINING A HEALTHY WEIGHT FOR LIFE is most often a losing proposition and a specious way of looking at the infinitely complex/manifolld human body.

p.S.

Losing a pile of weight of a short term/medium term isn't my goal...and shouldnt be yours.

I could lose 150 lbs by going to thailand and hiring that soldiers to work me in a mine and feed me 1400 Kcals a day.

Am I to assume that is a efficacious process by which to maintain my health and a healthy bodyweight?

Like I said, people want to hear X, Y and Z....

pps///

IM NOT SAYING KEEPING TRACK OF CALORIES IS BAD/.....IM DOING THAT RIGHT NOW!!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

So I lost 73 pounds putting less calories in and putting more calories out. And I'm not a moron. Tuned you right out.

^^^ This
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I like to think I'm a special snowflake.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Yea, I'm good. No need to elaborate.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    50cent&derpy.gif
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    troll thread is trolling.

i hope newbs don't get sucked in.

the OP had so many troll posts deleted by the mods yesterday that he was down to a -1 (minus 1) post count at one point.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    someone likes to hear himself talk and stroke his ego with others....hmmmm
  • zaxx1953
    Options
    My wife has been low carbing and can't lose weight shes been doing it 4month and lost 2lbs , I eat what i want and lost 136lbs so low carb doesnt work my calories in calories out as you can see works for me

Did the words "Low Carb" come out of my computer?

If you can eat what you want and maintain a healhty weight, im confused as to why you use this site?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Nope...the OP have a point...Just because it worked for you and others does not mean it works for everybody...Calories in calories out worked great for me - I lost 60lbs just by sticking to that....

And then hormones started kicking me around - and for almost a year (and still ) plain simple calories in/out does not work for me anymore.....I now have to balance my hormones (good luck tif you ever have to try that one) balance my macros, eat less calories than what I could a year ago (regardless of exercise) and so on....
    "Tuning people out" might not work for you forever either....
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    TL;DR
  • zaxx1953
    Options
    troll thread is trolling.

i hope newbs don't get sucked in.

the OP had so many troll posts deleted by the mods yesterday that he was down to a -1 (minus 1) post count at one point.

Lol, ok, what specifically in my post is FACTUALLY innaccurate?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Two thumbs down.

Would not read again
This discussion has been closed.