Unsupportive spouse

Options

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    My husband makes stupid comments like "guess u need to go work out to look good for your boyfriend", etc...It's getting really annoying! How do u deal with someone who constantly gives you crap for trying to be healthier???

My hubby says the same kind of junk. I just roll my eyes at him and tell him I don't have TIME to have a boyfriend so he'll have to do :D
  • Codilee_87
    Options
    My husband was a bit more subtle in his sabatoge. He would constantly say things like: "Well your tits are nicer now than when you were small, I prefer your curves" And would discourage me from working out because 'we never spend time together' Then as soon as I started losing a few lbs he would start bringing home huge amounts of junkfood and acting surprised when I got upset. His excuses were always the same: "Well it was on sale and no one is making you eat any" (even tho he'd come sit beside me with a big bowl of chips and offer me some every few minutes).

And on top of that he is very jealous and insecure so I think he made a real effort to keep me fat so that he would feel less threatened.

I'm planning to get dead serious about weight loss again in about a month so I certainly hope he doesn't try this crap again.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Negative positive encouragement.
  • brendae61
    Options
    Wow ladies so sorry about the unsupportive significant (or insignificant lol) others. Just remember you are doing this for you!! Although we need their support lets do this with or without it:smile::smile:
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    That's very sad. My husband is 100% supportive. Not controlling or insecure. He tells me to head to the gym. I'm happier when I come home. Lol. Plus he usually benefits a lot after wards.

I would have a come to Jesus meeting or time to start packing. Controlling and insecure is not anything I would deal with like that.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Simply say "you'll never know" and pack off to the gym.

Sometimes people say dumb things. I'm sure he just wants to hear "no of course not, you are all I want"
  • eikito
    eikito Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    He sounds just like my husband.... IGNORE HIM!!!! That's what I do and it's worked very well so far, after 8 months he has almost stopped his snarky comments and seems pleased with the results, although he hasn't said a word. Just remember that you are doing this for yourself and not for him.
  • Essjei
    Essjei Posts: 5
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are also dealing the same problem as I am. I went from making snappy remarks back like "Yup my boyfriend sure loves the new me" to ignoring him, to finally just telling him "I'm doing this with or without your help but I would much prefer that you support me." The negative comments stopped but now I'm dealing with sabotage. I have nothing but healthy food in the house but he comes home with my favorite junk food. I make healthy meals, he brings home take out. I know he's trying to make a point of "you're on a diet, not me" but boy does it make hard to resist the food temptations.

He sounds so annoying lol :( Everytime he brings home junk food or a takeout you should buy yourself something nice that costs the same amount as his takeout does wether it be a top or a bracelet or a lipstick as a reward to yourself for doing so well :-)

Both of you Pleaseeee don't let MEN or anyone else for that matter get you down or ruin your diet :( If they want to be unhealthy that's THEIR problem you just focus on what makes you happy cause thats all that matters :-)
  • Irenedavis
    Options
    I'd agree with him !
  • kwseneca
    Options
    Men often encourage their spouse to eat more or aren't so supportive because they don't want other men to look at their woman! It is a jealously/insecure type of thing.
    OR
    He could honestly just not like seeing you struggle with weight loss. Many times I would get really upset because I ate too much or I just couldn't get the motivation to work out, and my boyfriend would say "It's okay if you eat extra...." because he just wants me to be happy. He hates seeing me struggle. He seriously told me this today. He just doesn't like seeing me upset.

Sounds like a jealousy thing though. If that is the case, remind him he is the one for you! :) And if he's not the one for you...well that's another problem! lol
  • thedescentofhope
    thedescentofhope Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'd get rid of these nasty spouses. My partner is nothing but supportive to me, even if I only lose a pound, he practically does a dance of joy and always asks it I'm happy and feeling good! I have to force him to be brutally honest about how things are looking/changing and he hates to say anything that will hurt my feelings. You don't need negative people In your life who are just trying to drag you down because of their own insecurities!
  • allew48
    allew48 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Your spouse sounds insecure w/ your new lifestyle. Perhaps you need to have a discussion about that whole thing and remember to explain all the reasons why you are trying to better yourself. If he can't jump on board with you making positive changes in your life then he may need to re-evaluate his own issues.

My fiance has been nothing but supportive w/ me in every endeavor I have ever undertaken, but I have dealt w/ a similar experience in the past, ie. a boyfriend who made fun of me when I gained weight, but went back and poked fun at my attempts to lose weight. I think in the end, the only person that really bugged him was him, so here we are years later and one of us is moving ahead in life and one of us isn't.

Hang in there lady!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    My husband makes stupid comments like "guess u need to go work out to look good for your boyfriend", etc...It's getting really annoying! How do u deal with someone who constantly gives you crap for trying to be healthier???

Maybe this is his way of saying, "I'm afraid. You are looking very hot, and I'm worried/feeling a little insecure".

This sounds like fishing for reassurance, not so much lack of support.
  • JoQuinn523
    JoQuinn523 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It is definitely insecurity- keep doing what you are doing!!!! When he makes those comments assure him,
    the only man you are trying to impress is him :wink:
  • kwseneca
    Options
    Also, I'm a huge control freak...Not as much now, but it used to be alot worse. My boyfriend would get so fed up with it. I would get insecure if he went to the gym, and I wouldn't want him to go because he might meet a better girl.

A lot of my control issues come from issues I had growing up, and I think this might be just like your spouse! Seriously just reassure him.
    He is probably feeling super insecure.
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options
    My husband says that too me all the time, I think its funny and in a weird way falttering (Idont know why) but I just say yes.. yes I am, then shoot him a develish grin =) then he says something like I'll kill him and then I hug him and tell him he is the only one, so I guess its all in how you handle it
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It is definitely insecurity- keep doing what you are doing!!!! When he makes those comments assure him,
    the only man you are trying to impress is him :wink:
    OR that it's for herself, and has nothing to do with any man at all.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Nailed it
    Is your husband happy with the shape he's in, healthy-wise, physically, socially? Typically, comments like this are made out of jealousy/insecurity. Maybe he should invest a little something in himself.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    If it is really bothering you, sit down and have an honest conversation with him (with all the usual 'play nice' rules of saying "i feel' and 'I need" instead of accusing him). But be realistic in that that might not work and at the end of the day it matters most what YOU say to yourself. Don't let him have the power over you to keep you from being the best you you can be.
  • SDHudgins1976
    Options
    Seriously just reassure him.
    He is probably feeling super insecure.

This.

It always bothers me that people are like well pack and leave or get rid of him. If you guys can't talk it out, see a counselor. I've been married 17 years and if it weren't for a few months we spent in counseling our marriage would've ended... which now seems unimaginable!