Paleo / Gluten Free Diets

Options
Has anyone ever tried these diets? I have gotten some very good advice from a very good friend recently and she highly encourages eating a Paleo and Gluten free diet. I am willing to try, I know that I need to start eating to live and not living to eat.... I have just turned 29 and have dedicated this year to taking care of my health and being the healthiest me I can be. I vow to look better in my 30s than I have in my 20s.

Replies

• caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey.

There's a Paleo/Primal support group on MFP.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I eat paleo and I actually think more clearly and I'm embarrassed to say I'm not as quick to anger when avoiding gluten.
  • DeeDeeMarie
    Options
    I eat paleo and I actually think more clearly and I'm embarrassed to say I'm not as quick to anger when avoiding gluten.

I def think I could benefit from cutting out the gluten because I do have a lil bit of a short fuse.
  • whenday
    whenday Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have done them and have been successful. I started out reading a lot about paleo/primal/ low carb and such and found that a lot of their research makes sense in the way that refined carbs (high sugar, white bread,pastas) are what is causing the heart disease that everyone is blaming high fat diets on. That being said I do not do the paleo/ primal diet but have modified it to find what works for me and I feel it is something I can stick to. I have drastically cut back on the carbs but still have some processed carbs. Before cutting back on the carbs I was a sugar addict. I found that it exacerbated my cravings and made me depressed. How do I know this? Well now that I am not in that carb haze I feel so much better and am much happier. Could be contributed to all the veggies I eat and the better nutrients they provide compared to bread and sugar and pastas but since I set my carb amount lower it forces me to eat the veggies, proteins and fats instead.
  • bluzmama1229
    Options
    My niece is heavy into paleo, she's had problems with one kinda of food or another since birth. I was "forced" to become GF due to a medical condition. Healthy is good. Some people get the idea that they will lose weight going GF...not necessarily so.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options

I have massive mood swings if I eat gluten. I have Celiacs, and if I even have the smallest bit I'm flipping out over every little thing. Its awful.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried these diets? I have gotten some very good advice from a very good friend recently and she highly encourages eating a Paleo and Gluten free diet. I am willing to try, I know that I need to start eating to live and not living to eat.... I have just turned 29 and have dedicated this year to taking care of my health and being the healthiest me I can be. I vow to look better in my 30s than I have in my 20s.

Oily fish and organ meats are very nutritious, go for it.
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I've been suffering for IBS for over 10 years. I was had a blood test about 8 years for coeliacs but it came back negative.

I decided to go gluten free in December, as I thought I at least had some intolerance to it, and apparently the blood test is not conclusive.

I've never felt better. I am rarely bloated. I've started losing weight again. It hasn't been hard at all! There are a lot of alternatives and I'm making better choices.

:)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Oily fish and organ meats are very nutritious, go for it.

Yes, salmon and liver. Both seared in a pan for a hot minute on each side.

OMG, YUM. I also eat heart, tongue, brains, etc. Offal is awesome!!
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I eat Gluten free but only because I'm pretty sure I have an intolerance.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I spent 16 weeks on paleo before, and it works just as well as any low carb diet. I can't say I noticed a difference between gluten and gluten free, but I never really felt optimal in the gym on the program. I guess it's really not a great performance diet, but for weight loss, it may have its merits!
  • songbirdtree
    Options
    I've been doing it for a few weeks now and it works, but you have to think of it as a lifestyle change - not a diet. In my opinion, it only works if I believe in it, read a ton about it and understand the science behind the lifestyle. Otherwise, I'm that much more likely to have a bite of cake at a party or some mac & cheese with dinner.

I'd suggest trying to read a lot about it and actually embracing the logic/values behind it before making the diet switch. Also, have snacks aside in case you get hungry because there's usually nothing Paleo in a vending machine or fast food restaurant! haha

I tried to do it at 100% for the first two weeks and now I'm focusing on making Paleo choices 90% of my diet.
  • that_tall_girl
    that_tall_girl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I have been Paleo on and off for awhile, but at the start of the year we decided to embrace the lifestyle full-on. We feel so much better eating real food, and we've both lost a considerable amount of weight: since December 30, I've lost 20 lbs and he's lost a mind-boggling 41 lbs.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

I don't do the Paleo diet, I don't have the discipline for that. I did, however, go gluten and grain free two years ago and have benefited tremendously from this decision. I lost 20 lbs in the first three months, had a lot of health issues the doctor couldn't define suddenly disappear, and my cholesterol dropped by 40 pts. My RA factor of 23 went back to 14. I had all over body aches and joint pains for a long time. I was tested for Lupus, fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism and rheumatoid arthritis -- all of which my symptoms suggested.

I came across a friend who did go all Paleo, and suggested I go off wheat and grain to lose weight. So, I did, and that's when the health connection was made -- all the symptoms of the above possible syndromes cleared up within a week. It was amazing how quickly I recovered. I felt 20 years younger, immediately.

I encourage you to give the GF lifestyle a go and see if that helps you feel better. Not every reacts to gluten, but for those who are experiencing a host of mystery symptoms, there is no harm in trying an elimination diet to find out if gluten is in fact the culprit.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

I have massive mood swings if I eat gluten. I have Celiacs, and if I even have the smallest bit I'm flipping out over every little thing. Its awful.

Wow - this is the first I've heard of mood swings on gluten! And I thought I was the only one! Ever since I went off of gluten, I have had virtually NO PMS. And trust me, the PMS I had was so profoundly bad that I'd be a raging lunatic one moment, a crying nut job the next. I'd even catch myself laughing WHILE crying.

I thought it was all in my head -- but sure enough, I haven't had bad PMS in two years -- and I'm on the cusp of menopause.

Thanks for sharing, I don't feel so crazy anymore!
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    My niece is heavy into paleo, she's had problems with one kinda of food or another since birth. I was "forced" to become GF due to a medical condition. Healthy is good. Some people get the idea that they will lose weight going GF...not necessarily so.

I did lose weight. However, I also don't think people realize that GF snacks are not DIET snacks. Heck, I had two small GF snickerdoodles barely larger than the size of a silver dollar, and they added up to 120 calories!

GF does not equal low cal.
  • shellisugar
    shellisugar Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Wow - this is the first I've heard of mood swings on gluten! And I thought I was the only one! Ever since I went off of gluten, I have had virtually NO PMS. And trust me, the PMS I had was so profoundly bad that I'd be a raging lunatic one moment, a crying nut job the next. I'd even catch myself laughing WHILE crying.

I thought it was all in my head -- but sure enough, I haven't had bad PMS in two years -- and I'm on the cusp of menopause.

I'm actually three weeks into a GF trial to see if gluten affects my moods as well. I have PMDD, aka PMS on crack. I'm in the worst week of the PMDD cycle right now and I feel great. It wasn't nearly as hard to avoid the gluten as I thought it would be (since I'm such a carb wh0re). I've just been making smarter choices. I feel great, not bloaty, and I've been better able to stick to my calorie range. I've also lost almost 3 lbs in three weeks.

I think this may be a permanent change for me. I am a beer lover though, so I may cheat once in a while and I'm not too worried about cross contamination as I don't have celiac or a sensitivity (that I know of), but the drastic reduction in my gluten consumption has definitely been positive for me. Sorry for crazy run-on sentence.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

I'm actually three weeks into a GF trial to see if gluten affects my moods as well. I have PMDD, aka PMS on crack. I'm in the worst week of the PMDD cycle right now and I feel great. It wasn't nearly as hard to avoid the gluten as I thought it would be (since I'm such a carb wh0re). I've just been making smarter choices. I feel great, not bloaty, and I've been better able to stick to my calorie range. I've also lost almost 3 lbs in three weeks.

I think this may be a permanent change for me. I am a beer lover though, so I may cheat once in a while and I'm not too worried about cross contamination as I don't have celiac or a sensitivity (that I know of), but the drastic reduction in my gluten consumption has definitely been positive for me. Sorry for crazy run-on sentence.

There is gluten free beer out there! I can't remember the name, but do a search for it and get some. Several restaurants have added it to their stock as a way to accommodate those with food allergens. I'm not a beer drinker (never was), but I know brands exist -- and you won't be need to give up your beer!
  • shellisugar
    shellisugar Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It's Red Bridge. I tried it yesterday. It'll do, but it wasn't awesome. I think I'll just stick to wine and spirits, if I decide to have a drink. I've cut way back on drinking this month too.

Eta: thanks! :)
  • ChaoticMum
    ChaoticMum Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Oh my gosh! Me too! Insane is what I was!!

I too have been grain free and living more of a primal lifestyle...higher fats, lower carbs and grain free (which eliminates a large portion of gluten!) it's amazing how I feel. I would suggest giving it a try and seeing if it works for you! You don't know if you don't try!
    Try www.marksdailyapple.com and www.robbwolf.com for some info. Some interesting articles plus a lot of real life experiences in all the comments.