Unsupportive spouse

Options

Replies

• zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Several people have said to reassure him when he makes these comments. NO! NO! NO! That's only going to encourage him to keep making them. Think about it. He says something nasty, you fawn over him. You're reinforcing behavior you don't want. Instead, ignore nasty remarks. Give as little response as possible. If the nasty remarks don't work to get you riled up, he'll stop. When he makes a comment that is even a tiny bit encouraging, then thank him, sincerely. Eventually it'll start to break through that nice comments get love and attention and nasty comments get nothing. And he'll never know that he was trained.
    It's the same way you train a puppy to sit nicely to be greeted. Puppy jumps all over you, you turn around and cross your arms. Eventually puppy realizes that flailing doesn't work and sits down to think about this. And you turn around and love on the puppy. And turn around when puppy jumps again. It will eventually sink in.
    Same thing goes with any living creature that wants anything. We learn how to get what we want. When one method doesn't work, we try another. If being nasty won't get him the attention and love that he wants, he'll try something else. When being encouraging/sweet/nice works, he'll keep doing it. The trick is to really ignore behavior you don't want and to sincerely be grateful and loving when he does something you do want.
    Give it a shot. Or just divorce him. I would not put up with that ****.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Some of these things sound like emotional abuse. Actually with the following you to the gym and watching you it's become downright creepy stalkerish emotional abuse. I agree with those that say get counseling, I do NOT agree with those that say reassure him. Trust me, I've learned from experience that doesn't work if he's as bad as he sounds.
  • joycebug
    joycebug Posts: 309
    Options
    He's past that talking stage. A while ago, I caught him spying on me at the gym! He was parked outside just watching me from my car. I'm about 20 lbs from my GW and who know how he'll be if I become attractive to guys again!!
    if he was watching from your car does that mean he drove with you and waited in the car instead of coming In?

A 20lb loss doesn't make you suddenly attractive to guys. Just saying.
    [/quot

Ouch...that didn't sound good. His words, not mine. He thinks losing weight in general makes a person more desirable.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    My husband makes stupid comments like "guess u need to go work out to look good for your boyfriend", etc...It's getting really annoying! How do u deal with someone who constantly gives you crap for trying to be healthier???

My hubby says the same kind of junk. I just roll my eyes at him and tell him I don't have TIME to have a boyfriend so he'll have to do :D

I should also add that I KNOW that my hubby is insecure. But it is HIS issue! Several months ago I was very hurt when he told me that he almost wouldn't care if I stayed fat "because then he wouldn't have to worry about who I *might* be meeting" . In the 12 years we have been married ( together 18) I have not given him a reason to suspect that I would get bored and move on. Because I know that he has insecurities, I avoid doing things that feed those insecurities--such as not telling him about men who complement my muscles at the gym, or that the trainer I am going to hire is a 20-something man. But not feeding his insecurities does not mean that I will avoid the gym, or stay fat...it means that I invite him to join me at the gym and play with my new muscles :D
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Several people have said to reassure him when he makes these comments. NO! NO! NO! That's only going to encourage him to keep making them. Think about it. He says something nasty, you fawn over him. You're reinforcing behavior you don't want. Instead, ignore nasty remarks. Give as little response as possible. If the nasty remarks don't work to get you riled up, he'll stop. When he makes a comment that is even a tiny bit encouraging, then thank him, sincerely. Eventually it'll start to break through that nice comments get love and attention and nasty comments get nothing. And he'll never know that he was trained.
    It's the same way you train a puppy to sit nicely to be greeted. Puppy jumps all over you, you turn around and cross your arms. Eventually puppy realizes that flailing doesn't work and sits down to think about this. And you turn around and love on the puppy. And turn around when puppy jumps again. It will eventually sink in.
    Same thing goes with any living creature that wants anything. We learn how to get what we want. When one method doesn't work, we try another. If being nasty won't get him the attention and love that he wants, he'll try something else. When being encouraging/sweet/nice works, he'll keep doing it. The trick is to really ignore behavior you don't want and to sincerely be grateful and loving when he does something you do want.

I'm just wondering how successful your marriage is.
  • joycebug
    joycebug Posts: 309
    Options
    My husband makes stupid comments like "guess u need to go work out to look good for your boyfriend", etc...It's getting really annoying! How do u deal with someone who constantly gives you crap for trying to be healthier???

My hubby says the same kind of junk. I just roll my eyes at him and tell him I don't have TIME to have a boyfriend so he'll have to do :D

I should also add that I KNOW that my hubby is insecure. But it is HIS issue! Several months ago I was very hurt when he told me that he almost wouldn't care if I stayed fat "because then he wouldn't have to worry about who I *might* be meeting" . In the 12 years we have been married ( together 18) I have not given him a reason to suspect that I would get bored and move on. Because I know that he has insecurities, I avoid doing things that feed those insecurities--such as not telling him about men who complement my muscles at the gym, or that the trainer I am going to hire is a 20-something man. But not feeding his insecurities does not mean that I will avoid the gym, or stay fat...it means that I invite him to join me at the gym and play with my new muscles :D

Love that! I've tried to get him to work out with me and even signed him up. The only time he went was when he signed up and watched me from the car!!
  • Heitor70
    Heitor70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The trick is to really ignore behavior you don't want and to sincerely be grateful and loving when he does something you do want.

This sounds harsh but it is true. We can only hope to inspire our spouses by example. If that does not happen so be it. However, it does not follow that we should be harassed or attacked with negativity. Ignoring this type of behavior is what makes sense to keep things at peace.
  • ccindpls
    Options
    Oh my goodness, this sounds familiar! I tell mine "yes" but the boyfriend doesn't appreciate it near as much as he does and I jump in his lap! He needs to be reassured, I am playful about it so he does not get embarrassed. He gets it & now it is a game. Like sometimes he will be a smart-*kitten* and tell me he going to see his mistress when I ask where he is headed...so I tell him to take some of his laundry with him! Maybe we have been married too long or maybe we are just warped but it beats arguing about insecurities! Best of luck to you and yours!
  • mtmcbroom
    mtmcbroom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have found in the eight short years that I have been married that when my husband is unsupportive of any of my undertakings, and I react to what he's saying, I must first remember it is insecurity. Next jealousy, and lastly a bid for control. Would he be willing to go to counseling? If not maybe you can see a counselor or if you go to church, a person you trust there. Keep doing what you are doing, never ever give into his bait or react to the comments. Take the high road and never stoop to his level. We are all here for you and I will add you to my prayers that God will soften his heart and treat you better. We all would prefer that people be supportive of us, but we've got saboteurs all around us in one form or another. We can handle whatever these people throw at us. It would be interesting to see what would happen if you could rehearse how to respond. I used to do this all the time and it really helped. So it would go like this, husband: so you got to go work out so you can look good for your boyfriend, huh? Wife: I really enjoy working out and eating better. It makes me feel great and I am doing this for me. I would like it very much if you went for a walk with me some time. It would be something fun we could do together.

If he says something rude back, ask him if you could discuss it further. Tell him you love him and when he says those things to you that it hurts you. Let him know that the only man you want to be sexy for is him. Let him know that if he is nervous about losing you he should be open and let you know. Ask him to explain why your lifestyle is eliciting his rude remarks and remind him that snarky remarks have never in the history of marriage ever improved any situation. I hope this helps.
  • foxymama73
    foxymama73 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sounds like insecurity to me. The next time he says it, say" aren't YOU my boyfriend?" Maybe he'll be less of a jerk if you say that. Just a thought.
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    Seriously just reassure him.
    He is probably feeling super insecure.

This.

It always bothers me that people are like well pack and leave or get rid of him. If you guys can't talk it out, see a counselor. I've been married 17 years and if it weren't for a few months we spent in counseling our marriage would've ended... which now seems unimaginable!

YES! This is great. So glad you worked it out. It is sad to see how many people split up or divorce because they just don't want to work it out. My parents have always been a great example of that. Even though their marriage has a lot of issues sometimes, they always work it out! GREAT. Love this.

Agreed! He really might be fishing for reassurance. Maybe he really does miss you when you're working out. Maybe he's not ready to get into it himself yet, but doesn't like being left behind either. Get to the root of the problem. People saying "I'd never put up with that" or "you should lawyer up, hit the gym, leave him, etc" .... well that's just not very healthy either. Something is causing him to act the way he's acting and even if it is manifested as petty jealousy or controlling behaviors, those might be the only ways he knows how to communicate. You two are life partners, right? Better figure out what's going on with this issue.

edit - just read about the car/gym stalking behavior...not sure what you do about that! Obsession is a whole different realm! :noway:
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    If you want to stay with him and you feel he is serious, ask him how you can work out while still maintaining his trust. Can he drive you to the gym, wait while you are busy, etc.? If he can't, he is lazy and is unhappy that you are challenging him. If he can and will, you may inspire him. I have a feeling that the truth is somewhere in the middle.
  • Topdog67
    Topdog67 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Sit him down and tell him how things like that make you feel. Boys can be kind of dense. I'm fully convinced that 80% of the time they hurt our feelings or are unsupportive they have no idea.

I agree totally with that. Just ask my wife Blessedredhead!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...The trick is to really ignore behavior you don't want and to sincerely be grateful and loving when he does something you do want.

It works best if you just find someone who behaves appropriately to begin with and then nurture and grow that relationship with positive reenforcement. People with undesirable character traits usually show themselves from the start. The problem is that a lot of people "fall in love" and overlook the annoying things or hope it will change, but people don't really change that much.

But if you ended up with someone who is basically good but can be a bit of a jerk, this other poster's advice is pretty good. It takes two to make a miserable realtionship. You can either learn to live with the flaws, attempt some behavior modification (both people need to modify their behaviors and responses), or get out.
  • jscupp1016
    jscupp1016 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think it's an insecurity thing... like, you are working hard trying to look good, lose weight, you start feeling good, talking about yourself, like... oh I'm so excited I lost those (whatever) pounds, do you notice? and you spin around and smile and what not, you start wearing clothes you didn't before and they think..... wow. I'm not doing a thing, I want to sit here and eat. I think it almost makes them feel bad about themselves. Just reassure him you love him and that you aren't trying to snag a boyfriend for pete's sake you are just trying to feel good about youself and make that part of your life happy.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    He's past that talking stage. A while ago, I caught him spying on me at the gym! He was parked outside just watching me from my car. I'm about 20 lbs from my GW and who know how he'll be if I become attractive to guys again!!

Ummm, yeah.....no. This goes beyond a normal insecurity. I suggest you guys seek some counseling. Best of luck to you!
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters. Please don't let his issues halt your wonderful progress! IMO you might want to seek counseling for yourself if he refuses to go.
  • kimberlyshian
    Options
    Sounds to me like he is a little insecure and thinks you are looking good! ;)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Agree with him and move on with what you have to do. Eventually it will get his goat and he'll stop.
  • lisadiane41
    Options
    I would get marriage counseling and if that does not work I would re-think you relationship. Is this how you want to live. If you do than do not complain and live that way. But know it will not get better.