pounds lost vs pants size lost

Options

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    lost 25 pounds and went from a banana republic petite size 12 (fitting snuggly) to a banana republic petite size 8 (fitting loosely) in similar cut pants. my size varies immensely depending on the brand and cut though. it can range anywhere from a 4 to a 10, maybe even a 2. vanity sizing is stupid.

for my 5'4" height and 115 weight, my pants size is still pretty big because of my wide hipped bone structure.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    55lb, lost about 3 sizes.
  • HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Options
    It goes faster as you lose more. I have gone from a loose 22 to a 10 or 12 depending on the manufacturer. Having to buy 22 really opened my eyes and got me moving!! LOL I was stuck in 18 - 16 for a long time but I realized a month ago I completely skipped over 14 and most 12 as well straight to 10. I have started strength training and upped my protein as well which I think has a lot to do with it!
  • needlework
    needlework Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    I've lost about 19 pounds and went from a size 12 to a size 8.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Size 22 to a 10... So 6 sizes and 105lbs. Roughly 17.5lbs per size. I'm 5'10" and I'm sure someone short would go through sizes faster depending on where they lost it from.
  • Letters24You
    Letters24You Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hey Girl!
    I've lost 46lbs and gone from a size 18 to a size 12, 3 sizes. It's definitely about where you store your weight. Mine is my stomach so I'd be in a 10 by now based on the fit of my legs and butt if I could just get them to button :P Stick with it!!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    initial weight loss is water and glycogen stores in the muscles... if your eating the low calories MFP recommends than you could easily be losing a lot of muscle.. Your midsection isnt muscular. This is why everyone should strength train. If your numbers are going down you're eating too little. MFP is great for counting calories, it sucks for daily expenditure prediction.

i think it's more that the last place you gain the weight is the first place you lose it rather than losing muscle vs losing fat.
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 14 lbs and I've gone from a size 10, to my 8's swimming on me. A few more lbs and I'll need to buy size 6's :drinker:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Almost 40 lbs, 3 sizes. I started out in 12s and now I'm a comfortable 6. But it hasn't been very regular. It took longest to get from a 12 to a 10. After that it went faster.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    68 lbs and I have gone from a 16 to a 4
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Maybe I don't belong here, but I lost 5 pounds and went down 3 sizes from a 4 to a 00. And no, I was not actually aiming to lose weight or for my size to decrease. I was just working on fitness and that was the size I ended up being (I have a small frame). I'm also short, 5'2". And I was weight lifting.
  • marykpfist
    marykpfist Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Height plays a role here, too. I'm a short 5'0" and for me, 7 pounds is about a size.
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Nearly 40 (38 actually) and still no change in size! I still wear a 9/10, and they weren't even TOO tight before I started because the 11/12 pants I had were always too big. They're getting a little big though so I'm hoping within another 10 lbs or so there should be some sort of change.

But the way I see it is that Iv'e saved money not having to replace them all the time!
  • chelchelt
    chelchelt Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have lost18lbs and my pants are extremly baggy but next size down is super tight so I think it depends on where you are losing weight first. I have lost a lot in my arms, back, and lower legs, but not as much in my hips and waist so I think thats the reason I have issues with pants not fitting..yet.
  • TerriAnne53
    TerriAnne53 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Estimated start 165 weight, needed to wear a size 14-16. Now 131 between misses 4-6. I dropped a pant size about every 10 pounds.

I think the above quote is the rule of thumb for weight loss
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    5lbs... in the end, there is no direct correlation. It's about where you store your fat.

30 pounds and went from a size 8 to a size 6/8. Not much difference. But, body fat percentage (measured by my doctor) dropped from 30% to 23%. Don't know where it all went...I think my brain shrunk. :ohwell:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Also, honestly everyone should keep in mind that clothing size is very variable and it also depends on the fit we like. At many times in my life, I would only wear baggy clothes, other times I liked fitted. But, I had size 4's (7 months after giving birth to my second baby), they fit, then they stretched, then I gained around 5 pounds, then lost with weight lifting, then they were falling off me. I bought size two, they fit, then were way too big, took them to get fitted. Then bought size 00. And I was eating at and above maintenance (and in other brands size 0 would fit better). But, I think I fall into the category of someone that is very fit, took some time off (from the intensive work and was just light dancing and walking), then returns to heavy lifting and has dramatic changes in body composition. Ultimately, clothing size is not an exact science. If you like what you see in the mirror, clothing size is secondary and seems incredibly variable. Don't use it as a measure.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Cardio only: 30 pounds 2 pants size. Heavy lifting: 2 pounds and 2 pants sizes.
  • iHeartYammy
    iHeartYammy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've lost 13.5 lbs and my size 12/13 is only a bit loose. Not enough to drop a size yet. But like many who have this problem, I have big hips.