Drinking 8 glasse of water a day...is it mega important?

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Um, no. Your kidneys filter your blood. They don't filter out the other things you drink, that's called "digestion" and it happens in your stomach and small intestine. Kidney issues are exacerbated by dehydration, not by drinking any one specific liquid. As for the diuretic comment, water has much stronger diuretic properties than the caffeine in coffee can ever hope to have.

UM yes! Your kidneys filter your blood...got it ! But what is in your blood stream if digestion solved the problem of filtering everything else than why do we even have kidneys?? Because there is waste in your blood...this is waste created by the normal breakdown of active tissues, such as muscles, and from food - what you are eating is what goes into your blood stream ie water, caffine, protein, sodium etc.....digestion breaksdown the dense parts of food, and the microscopic particales that are in what you eat goes through the membrains of your stomach and intestines into your blood stream. So "you are what you eat"

During the filtering process the "waste" is eliminated from the body through urination. When you drink something with caffine your kidneys have to filter this out of your blood....because your kidneys are working hard you may have to urinate more frequently which can cause dehydration.
    The kidneys filter out waste sent from other organs. They don't just filter random things like caffeine out of your blood. They filter the blood, then reabsorb what they filter, sending them on their way to various organs and cells for processing. Then the organs and cells send their waste products to the kidneys for excretion. Caffeine is not filtered out by the kidneys, it's absorbed and sent to the brain, where the brain uses it to reduce the effects of adenosine, which is why you feel more awake.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I don't drink 8 glasses/day, but I do need at least half of that, and it needs on top of my normal coffee and soda, especially if I did cardio on that day. If I don't, my head starts to pound and no amount of tylenol or advil will fix it. The only thing that helps is drinking water and time. I'm amazed that people can live on no water and not feel it.
  • savyjenn
    savyjenn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Um, no. Your kidneys filter your blood. They don't filter out the other things you drink, that's called "digestion" and it happens in your stomach and small intestine. Kidney issues are exacerbated by dehydration, not by drinking any one specific liquid. As for the diuretic comment, water has much stronger diuretic properties than the caffeine in coffee can ever hope to have.

UM yes! Your kidneys filter your blood...got it ! But what is in your blood stream if digestion solved the problem of filtering everything else than why do we even have kidneys?? Because there is waste in your blood...this is waste created by the normal breakdown of active tissues, such as muscles, and from food - what you are eating is what goes into your blood stream ie water, caffine, protein, sodium etc.....digestion breaksdown the dense parts of food, and the microscopic particales that are in what you eat goes through the membrains of your stomach and intestines into your blood stream. So "you are what you eat"

During the filtering process the "waste" is eliminated from the body through urination. When you drink something with caffine your kidneys have to filter this out of your blood....because your kidneys are working hard you may have to urinate more frequently which can cause dehydration.
    The kidneys filter out waste sent from other organs. They don't just filter random things like caffeine out of your blood. They filter the blood, then reabsorb what they filter, sending them on their way to various organs and cells for processing. Then the organs and cells send their waste products to the kidneys for excretion. c it's absorbed and sent to the brain, where the brain uses it to reduce the effects of adenosine, which is why you feel more awake.

Diuretic Effects of Coffee
    Coffee is one of the most popular brewed beverages in the U.S. and around the world. One of the primary causes of its popularity is due to its high caffeine content. According to MayoClinic.com, an average 8 oz. cup of caffeinated brewed coffee has from 95 to 200 mg of caffeine. This amount compares to 40 to 120 mg for black tea and approximately 30 to 50 mg for caffeinated soft drinks. In addition to its stimulant effects, caffeine is a known diuretic. A diuretic acts upon the kidneys by increasing the removal of water from the bloodstream, resulting in increased urine output.
    Kidney Stones and Coffee
    Kidney stones form by precipitation of solid masses out of your urine. According to the NKUDIC, the most common form of kidney stone is calcium oxalate. Caffeine may act as an irritant for those who have kidney stones because of its diuretic effects and it may also contribute to their formation because of the oxalate in coffee. The NKUDIC suggests that you limit your coffee intake to one or two cups per day to limit its effects on kidney stones.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/429236-coffee-kidney-function/#ixzz2Ij9Jbv00.
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    Simple answer : Yes
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Is it vital to weight loss this drinkin' water thing? ;) hehehe!

No. Staying hydrated is important for your health. Some people find drinking something keeps them feeling fuller and that can help with weight loss, especially if the liquid has 0 calories like water. Not everyone finds that true, however.
  • Food4Fuel
    Food4Fuel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Drinking water prevents me from drinking things that are worse for me and thinking about eating. Also I've noticed, at least for me, sometimes when I feel hungry water alleviates the urge to snack on whatever unhealthy treat happens to be in the break room.
  • Azaelia11
    Options
    I used to 1 glass of water a day, if i was lucky, but most of the time i drank juice. These past 2 weeks, ive gone from 1 - 5 glasses a day and cut out all pop, coffee, ect. and I've found i have been more hydrated, i sleep better, i used to get really bad headaches and i haven't gotten them for 2 weeks. But then again just consuming some water a day is really good for your body and you can always put lime or lemon in your water so it's not so bland.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    tea and coffee dont count
    Of course they do. They are 99.9% water.

Full of dehydrating caffiene
    They don't hydrate the same as water
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i rarely drank water over time i have between 3-6 glasses aday depending on how thirsty i am , i also drink coffee mainly and the odd tea
  • jocelinemmuise
    Options
    i was always told that tea and coffee doesn't count for water.....i drink my 8 glass of water every day!!!! helps me not to feel blotted.
  • jocelinemmuise
    Options
    Interesting discussion - but can someone tell me how much a 'cup' of water contains? I have a lot of cups / glassses in my kitchen and they are all completely different sizes!

I think 8 oz is the standard, but I may be wrong.
  • jocelinemmuise
    Options
    i drink 8 cups
  • great for the skin and cleans out your system. i would avoid sugary fluids :-)
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

The kidneys filter out waste sent from other organs. They don't just filter random things like caffeine out of your blood. They filter the blood, then reabsorb what they filter, sending them on their way to various organs and cells for processing. Then the organs and cells send their waste products to the kidneys for excretion. c it's absorbed and sent to the brain, where the brain uses it to reduce the effects of adenosine, which is why you feel more awake.

Coffee is one of the most popular brewed beverages in the U.S. and around the world. One of the primary causes of its popularity is due to its high caffeine content. According to MayoClinic.com, an average 8 oz. cup of caffeinated brewed coffee has from 95 to 200 mg of caffeine. This amount compares to 40 to 120 mg for black tea and approximately 30 to 50 mg for caffeinated soft drinks. In addition to its stimulant effects, caffeine is a known diuretic. A diuretic acts upon the kidneys by increasing the removal of water from the bloodstream, resulting in increased urine output.
    Kidney Stones and Coffee
    Kidney stones form by precipitation of solid masses out of your urine. According to the NKUDIC, the most common form of kidney stone is calcium oxalate. Caffeine may act as an irritant for those who have kidney stones because of its diuretic effects and it may also contribute to their formation because of the oxalate in coffee. The NKUDIC suggests that you limit your coffee intake to one or two cups per day to limit its effects on kidney stones.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/429236-coffee-kidney-function/#ixzz2Ij9Jbv00.

Study kidney function, it's amazing:
    Protein, water, glucose, salt, amino acids, urea, small proteins....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowman's_capsule
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
  • bcattoes
    Options
    tea and coffee dont count
    Of course they do. They are 99.9% water.

Full of dehydrating caffiene
    They don't hydrate the same as water

Caffeine only dehydrates if you consume quite a lot of it. More than is in the average pot of coffee. Caffeine has a diuretic affect, but then creating a diuretic affect is the whole point of drinking plenty of fluids. You want a diuretic affect to flush toxins from your body.

Diuretic is not the same as dehydration. Even with the extra diuretic affect from the caffeine in coffee and lesser amounts in tea, these still have a hydration component. There is no logical reason not to consider them when tracking total moisture intake.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    if you don't drink enough water you retain water weight and don't digest properly. It's reccomended you get half your body weight in water.
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    " Caffeine may act as an irritant for those who have kidney stones because of its diuretic effects and it may also contribute to their formation because of the oxalate in coffee"

I love it when studies are quoted and they use the word "MAY" in the findings..............so conclusive. The sky MAY be falling too
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Kidney Stones and Coffee

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12834577 the diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal

"...nor does it cause significant dehydration or electrolyte imbalance during exercise."

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12187618 the diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal

"The literature indicates that caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water, but there is no evidence of a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to exercise performance or health"

"Investigations comparing caffeine (100-680 mg) to water or placebo seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume."
  • bcattoes
    Options
    if you don't drink enough water you retain water weight and don't digest properly. It's reccomended you get half your body weight in water.

Recommended by whom? So a 200 lb person should drink 100 lbs of water? Isn't that about 12 gallons of water?