Loosening Up in the Gym- Ladies

Options

Replies

• lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I just do it, which is what you will have to do, too, if weights are something you want to do. it helps to know wtf you're doing. i started at home with a handful of plates and a cheap bar. I learned most of my form from my bf (but there's a wealth of proper form info on the interweb, too) and I do things right. So i'm pretty confident in what I'm doing. I didn't feel like a "beginner" when I started going to a gym. You can always practice form and lifts at home (even without weights!) so that you feel like you know what you're doing when you go there.

If you're informed and doing things right, no one is going to wonder what that chick is doing on the guy's side. As a matter of fact, the other day, a random bro looked at me after i did a set of deadlifts and said "You're the only person in this gym I've ever seen doing those right, and I've been coming here for over a year." I was elated.

Mainly, I pay attention to what I'm doing. Which is what the dudes should be doing, too. Unless they want to complement my form. lol
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as the "guys side", you belong there as much as they do.

This exactly...just do it...most gyms will also include a training session, maybe ask one to show you some moves so you feel more comfortable?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that you've decided to add free weights to your routine. Perhaps when you stop thinking of it as the "guy's side" you'll be more comfortable in there. I've yet to see a gym where they hang a MEN'S sign over the free weight section (altho I have seen many gyms have a women's only workout room).

Start thinking of it the "Magic" side and go over there and make the magic happen. No one will bite you and everyone will be nice to you and willing to help you if you ask them. Trust me on this.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I put my headphones in and get to work :)

yup!! just walk your cute little but back there, load some weights, and lift! The guys won't bother you...
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Oh, I so totally understand! Is that sense of, you don’t belong here… like walking into a classroom and seating just to find out that the “chair belongs” to someone else because everybody is looking at your “wrong”… Yeah. Well, this is what I did. I looked at my husband in the eye, pointed at him and said, “I don’t care is we have to go to the gym after work when I’m supposed to be cooking , that is the only time you have to go with me and we are going! You will be my spotter, change my plates, and introduce me to the area. After I find my rhythm we can go back to going at separate times!” You know what? It worked. He is going with me and likes it, I guess he like the idea of bossing me around. Anyways, find someone to go with you at the beginning or hire a trainer for one session to show you around. It helps. Good luck!
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I belong to a stinky gym, not a "health club" so we don't have "sides". But if we did I'd go in and show them how it's done ;)
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    Thanks, y'all! I need to "man up" and do this!
  • BrittKnee_Rae
    BrittKnee_Rae Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just blare the music and focus on myself! Mostly men in my gym too.. So I know how you feel!! But gotta do what cha gotta do :) and you will get used to it!!! No one ever said that weights are FOR MEN, so its not just there side.. I'm sure those guys would agree that you are just as welcome to use them!!! :) HAVE FUN, and you'll be fine!
  • SARRY562
    SARRY562 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Just remember when at the gym you are there for your self and for change.. Dont care what they think.. just remember oneday you will be lifting the same as them if you keep it up and look good doing it.. :smile:
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    That's one of the reasons I joined a ladies only gym. You can imagine how alone I am in the free weight section. I watched videos on bodybuilding.com to learn how to properly do things so I could go in with more confidence.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I must go to a strange gym or something because it's pretty even with men and women on both "sides" of the gym.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I'm still kind of shy with it myself and retreat to the treadmills because the weight area is full of beefed up police and firefighters in there. I'll get over it in time, I'm sure.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I definatly agree- it's everyones side... I pay for it just like they do! I saw one lady going to town on that side and I was totally envious!

go and chat to her next time you see her so you have a pal in the 'boys section'

i would feel awkward too but you need to mark your territory and get on with the job you have :)
  • SteelersFan7
    SteelersFan7 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I put my headphones in and get to work :)

This.
  • DrHeadBang
    DrHeadBang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Headphones. I do my own thing and try not to worry about them. And I (33 y/o fat mom) go to a primarily student gym and share the weight area with very bro-y fraterinity guys and athletes. F-'em
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Don't think about it, just DO it & you'll be comfortable in no time.
  • lknorthstar
    lknorthstar Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Just do your thing and don't worry about anyone else. Most people are doing the same, they have no interest is what you are doing. I do like to go with a friend though, makes me feel more comfortable than being on my own! Then I have someone to talk to about how much I lifted and how many reps I did. Just keep going, soon you will feel comfortable! Good luck!
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Have a good plan when you go in, put your headphones on and do it. The more you lift the more at ease you will be. I honestly would feel like a goofball doing a fitness class as I never do them... it's like starting any new thing. Use proper gym etiquette focus on your workout and you'll be fine. Most guys are into their workout and are not paying attention to anyone else. I'm always glad when other women are hitting the weights.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as the "guys side", you belong there as much as they do.

And you're crazy if you think that a bunch of men aren't going to be happy about a girl in their general vicinity.

They will love it.