Drinking 8 glasse of water a day...is it mega important?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    " Caffeine may act as an irritant for those who have kidney stones because of its diuretic effects and it may also contribute to their formation because of the oxalate in coffee"

I love it when studies are quoted and they use the word "MAY" in the findings..............so conclusive. The sky MAY be falling too

Since one study is rarely proof of anything, "may" is fairly standard language for study conclusions.
  • jeanine89
    jeanine89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    CRYSTAL LIGHT :)

Coffee Tea and soda are high is sodium which make you retain water.
  • jeanine89
    jeanine89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    if you don't drink enough water you retain water weight and don't digest properly. It's reccomended you get half your body weight in water.

Recommended by whom? So a 200 lb person should drink 100 lbs of water? Isn't that about 12 gallons of water?

lol
  • savyjenn
    savyjenn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • savyjenn
    savyjenn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Um, no. Your kidneys filter your blood. They don't filter out the other things you drink, that's called "digestion" and it happens in your stomach and small intestine. Kidney issues are exacerbated by dehydration, not by drinking any one specific liquid. As for the diuretic comment, water has much stronger diuretic properties than the caffeine in coffee can ever hope to have.

UM yes! Your kidneys filter your blood...got it ! But what is in your blood stream if digestion solved the problem of filtering everything else than why do we even have kidneys?? Because there is waste in your blood...this is waste created by the normal breakdown of active tissues, such as muscles, and from food - what you are eating is what goes into your blood stream ie water, caffine, protein, sodium etc.....digestion breaksdown the dense parts of food, and the microscopic particales that are in what you eat goes through the membrains of your stomach and intestines into your blood stream. So "you are what you eat"

During the filtering process the "waste" is eliminated from the body through urination. When you drink something with caffine your kidneys have to filter this out of your blood....because your kidneys are working hard you may have to urinate more frequently which can cause dehydration.
    The kidneys filter out waste sent from other organs. They don't just filter random things like caffeine out of your blood. They filter the blood, then reabsorb what they filter, sending them on their way to various organs and cells for processing. Then the organs and cells send their waste products to the kidneys for excretion. c it's absorbed and sent to the brain, where the brain uses it to reduce the effects of adenosine, which is why you feel more awake.

Diuretic Effects of Coffee
    Coffee is one of the most popular brewed beverages in the U.S. and around the world. One of the primary causes of its popularity is due to its high caffeine content. According to MayoClinic.com, an average 8 oz. cup of caffeinated brewed coffee has from 95 to 200 mg of caffeine. This amount compares to 40 to 120 mg for black tea and approximately 30 to 50 mg for caffeinated soft drinks. In addition to its stimulant effects, caffeine is a known diuretic. A diuretic acts upon the kidneys by increasing the removal of water from the bloodstream, resulting in increased urine output.
    Kidney Stones and Coffee
    Kidney stones form by precipitation of solid masses out of your urine. According to the NKUDIC, the most common form of kidney stone is calcium oxalate. Caffeine may act as an irritant for those who have kidney stones because of its diuretic effects and it may also contribute to their formation because of the oxalate in coffee. The NKUDIC suggests that you limit your coffee intake to one or two cups per day to limit its effects on kidney stones.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/429236-coffee-kidney-function/#ixzz2Ij9Jbv00.

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12834577 the diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal

"...nor does it cause significant dehydration or electrolyte imbalance during exercise."

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12187618 the diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal

"The literature indicates that caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water, but there is no evidence of a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to exercise performance or health"

"Investigations comparing caffeine (100-680 mg) to water or placebo seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume."

thanks for sharing
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    " Caffeine may act as an irritant for those who have kidney stones because of its diuretic effects and it may also contribute to their formation because of the oxalate in coffee"

I love it when studies are quoted and they use the word "MAY" in the findings..............so conclusive. The sky MAY be falling too

Since one study is rarely proof of anything, "may" is fairly standard language for study conclusions.

It's very common. It's filler when they don't really know but are still trying to sell their idea. It's like saying "saved or created jobs" lol
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Um, no. Your kidneys filter your blood. They don't filter out the other things you drink, that's called "digestion" and it happens in your stomach and small intestine. Kidney issues are exacerbated by dehydration, not by drinking any one specific liquid. As for the diuretic comment, water has much stronger diuretic properties than the caffeine in coffee can ever hope to have.

UM yes! Your kidneys filter your blood...got it ! But what is in your blood stream if digestion solved the problem of filtering everything else than why do we even have kidneys?? Because there is waste in your blood...this is waste created by the normal breakdown of active tissues, such as muscles, and from food - what you are eating is what goes into your blood stream ie water, caffine, protein, sodium etc.....digestion breaksdown the dense parts of food, and the microscopic particales that are in what you eat goes through the membrains of your stomach and intestines into your blood stream. So "you are what you eat"

During the filtering process the "waste" is eliminated from the body through urination. When you drink something with caffine your kidneys have to filter this out of your blood....because your kidneys are working hard you may have to urinate more frequently which can cause dehydration.
    The kidneys filter out waste sent from other organs. They don't just filter random things like caffeine out of your blood. They filter the blood, then reabsorb what they filter, sending them on their way to various organs and cells for processing. Then the organs and cells send their waste products to the kidneys for excretion. c it's absorbed and sent to the brain, where the brain uses it to reduce the effects of adenosine, which is why you feel more awake.

Diuretic Effects of Coffee
    Coffee is one of the most popular brewed beverages in the U.S. and around the world. One of the primary causes of its popularity is due to its high caffeine content. According to MayoClinic.com, an average 8 oz. cup of caffeinated brewed coffee has from 95 to 200 mg of caffeine. This amount compares to 40 to 120 mg for black tea and approximately 30 to 50 mg for caffeinated soft drinks. In addition to its stimulant effects, caffeine is a known diuretic. A diuretic acts upon the kidneys by increasing the removal of water from the bloodstream, resulting in increased urine output.
    Kidney Stones and Coffee
    Kidney stones form by precipitation of solid masses out of your urine. According to the NKUDIC, the most common form of kidney stone is calcium oxalate. Caffeine may act as an irritant for those who have kidney stones because of its diuretic effects and it may also contribute to their formation because of the oxalate in coffee. The NKUDIC suggests that you limit your coffee intake to one or two cups per day to limit its effects on kidney stones.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/429236-coffee-kidney-function/#ixzz2Ij9Jbv00.
    Care to point out where in your quote it says that the kidneys filter out caffeine? Or where it says caffeine causes kidney stones? I believe it says that the kidneys filter water, and that caffeine can exacerbate an already existing kidney stone, but it doesn't cause them. If you're going to try and post a link to an article (especially something as unreliable as livestrong,) you should probably actually read it first, because the part you quoted doesn't agree with any of what you were claiming.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water because I like to but if you don't like to dont worry. You can still reach your goals. Water Is in the foods we eat as well as drinks. Some people I know tell me that they get enough water from eating fruit and veggies. Whatever works for you:)
  • mcastsinger
    Options
    Unfortunately (I say 'unfortunately' because I really don't like water) water intake is a crucial element to losing weight. I've found that when I under-hydrate, my weight loss slows to a barely noticeable crawl. It tends to be easier for me to drink water with a straw, for some reason. I try to force myself to drink it plain, but a lot of times I'll add a lemon wedge.
  • nfarrow91
    nfarrow91 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    coffee will dehydrate you and make you retain water so be careful!
  • bcattoes
    Options

It's very common. It's filler when they don't really know but are still trying to sell their idea. It's like saying "saved or created jobs" lol

No, it's because it is a conclusion or theory based on suggestive but not conclusive evidence.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Nonsense.
  • specandshot
    specandshot Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you're pee is colorless you're good.

This. I don't know where I read it but if your urine is clear at least once a day you are hydrated enough.

What I do is have a 33oz water bottle that I fill with ice water (sometimes with lemon) and I make sure to drink 4 of them before the end of the day, which equals a gallon. This is coming from someone who used to live solely on Pepsi & Coke.

>>Editing to say that I buy those 2 gallon jugs with the spout to keep in the fridge for easy fill up. Good luck!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Nonsense.

Facts:
    Dehydration will cause you retain water in relation to osmosis and electrolyte imbalance.
    Kidneys filter more than water.
    Caffiene in combination with calcium does cause kidney stones.
    None of this is "speculation", it's scientific fact.
    Are any of you nephrologists?
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options

No, it's because it is a conclusion or theory based on suggestive but not conclusive evidence.

Someone likes to argue a lot !!
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I LOVE water. Ever since I was little. I just love it. It's so cool, so refreshing. I'm thirsty! :drinker:

I understand though. My love will not bring himself to drink water. He loves soda. Thank goodness, he's trying to stop drinking it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Did you not read any of the prior posts?
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    For weight loss...maybe not. For health, yes! And since I am here to be healthier and not just for weight loss - I try to drink a gallon of water a day. But I always add lemon juice or fresh lemon to it. In the past I did 1/4 fruit juice and 3/4 water. Helps give it a little more flavor without a lot of calories or that fake sugar crap.

All depends on your goals I guess.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Someone likes to argue a lot !!

Just clarifying some untruths on the forum.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I drink 10 cups of water a day. It's good for me.