Drinking 8 glasse of water a day...is it mega important?

Options
1235»

Replies

• ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I drink a big glass of water when I am hungry. Sometimes I am just dehydrated. Just like sleep, if you don't get enough water, your body will trick you into eating.
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    I find the more water i drink the more wt I lose. And your body is made of up of 50 - 65% water so when you start to lose it you have to replenish it. WATER WATER WATER yes it's MEGA important. Also it helps keep your muscles from seizing and cramping after exercise. Protein helps to repair the muscles!
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    [/quote]

"Just clarifying some untruths on the forum."
    [/quote]

Thank goodness you are here
  • mtabh
    mtabh Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It helps my complexion. I try to drink quite a bit.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I drink about a gallon a day, but most of it is sugar free mix included. I enjoy water, but sometimes I do need it to have a flavor. My doctor told me adding stuff like Crystal Light works just fine if you can't stomach plain water.
  • savyjenn
    savyjenn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Care to point out where in your quote it says that the kidneys filter out caffeine? Or where it says caffeine causes kidney stones? I believe it says that the kidneys filter water, and that caffeine can exacerbate an already existing kidney stone, but it doesn't cause them. If you're going to try and post a link to an article (especially something as unreliable as livestrong,) you should probably actually read it first, because the part you quoted doesn't agree with any of what you were claiming.
    [/quote]

Your right I should have said stimulate your kidneys which causes them to work harder not filter (but it is stll the same concept) when you drink caffienated beverages...your kidneysare also stimulated to produce more urine in laymans terms work harder...

I also never said caffeine causes kidney stones. What is said was it is shown to irrate kidney stones and can lead to kidney stones... as per the .National Kidney .Stone Research Foundation.

I am not trying to say caffiene is bad!! I love coffee!! But in moderation....yes your body needs fluids....and water is recommended... by medical professionals - as per the American Kidney Foundation.

And thank you for this lovely discussion...I appreciate the debate. God Bless.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    For weight loss...maybe not. For health, yes! And since I am here to be healthier and not just for weight loss - I try to drink a gallon of water a day. But I always add lemon juice or fresh lemon to it. In the past I did 1/4 fruit juice and 3/4 water. Helps give it a little more flavor without a lot of calories or that fake sugar crap.

All depends on your goals I guess.
    Exactly what does drinking a gallon of water do for your health? You only need about half that to maintain hydration. The rest of it just makes you go to the restroom more. When you go to the restroom more, all you do is urinate the excess water.

In other words, you're just wasting water for absolutely zero biological effect. It does nothing for your health, because your intestine absorbs it, and your kidney immediately filters it out and eliminates it. Your body never actually makes any use of it at all.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I was going to chip in on the debate and give a little medically based knowledge of mine as a medic. Then I decided no one will actually listen because obviously THEY know what's best, so I decided my advise was not needed or warranted and I will keep my happy hydrated thoughts to myself.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I was going to chip in on the debate and give a little medically based knowledge of mine as a medic. Then I decided no one will actually listen because obviously THEY know what's best, so I decided my advise was not needed or warranted and I will keep my happy hydrated thoughts to myself.

Yeah, I've been an RN for 25 years and no one wanted to listen to the factual data I shared either.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I started working out about four years ago and began losing weight but in very small increments. Last year I decided to look at my diet and exercise and see what I could do different. I realized I wasn't consuming much water and decided to give a gallon of water a day a try. Within five months I had lost over 35lbs while gaining some muscle mass (not a lot, but noticeable gains). I am not nearly smart enough to try and tell you the science behind it, but this is my story.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/78550-water-important-weight-loss/
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Is it mega important for weight loss? No.
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I thought you were supposed to drink half your weight everyday.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, yes it has helped. I did not drink nearly enough water a year ago either but now I do. Once you get over that initial hump of starting to drink it, it gets easier. Someone told me then, and it's actually true, that if you have a straw cup of water with you all the time, you will mindlessly drink it (just like a bag of chips if they're in front of you). I thought they were crazy but they were absolutely correct.
  • RESiani
    RESiani Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    a cup is 8oz.