Come clean

Options

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Not exactly, but I have mentally compared what I was buying with what somebody else was buying and felt proud.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Meee! usually everyone around me has boxes and cans and my cart is full of meat, veggies and fruit with minimal of anything else. I have only gotten comments about how some of the things i am buying is gross.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Who else gets to the checkout at the grocery store with a cart full of fresh veges, fish and meat with little or no processed foods and secretly hopes that the cashier will comment?

No, but I fill a cart with artichokes, Teen Beat magazine, petroleum jelly, latex gloves, adult diapers, and a can of whipped cream, and secretly hopes that the cashier will comment.
  • themutineer
    themutineer Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't ever compare my purchases to that of others, but I have had a funny experience once where the cashier didn't know what half the things in my cart even were - like jicama and kale. She kept holding stuff up and asking me "what in the world is this?" and "how do you even eat this?" Hahha...
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I usually hope the cashier doesn't assume I'm an alcoholic from the amount of beer I buy.

I'd be the one saying I'd take 10% off if I could join you after work.
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've always KINDA hoped that another cashier would say something like "Dang girl, you eat a lot of vegetables!" Since they don't, this always inspires me to buy more in the hopes that next time they will. One of these days, I'll buy 300 pounds of nothing but veggies, and stare at them expectantly. That should do the trick.
  • cowboy_11c
    Options
    I do notice that I'm losing pretty fast by cutting all that out. Instead of using mac and cheese or some such, I eat more veggies and fruit as a side for my meals, and it's working well. Also, my food cost is down when not buying all the junk food.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I've regularly had cashiers ask about what's in my basket. I buy a ton of dry goods and produce, and they're curious about what the stuff is used for. I've even given the cashier and woman behind me in line a recipe for a veggie curry because they were curious about what you do with dried chickpeas.

It helps to be friendly, and hopefully they learned a little about alternative protein.

I often look at what's in someone's basket and try to guess what they're going to cook with it. It's fun.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Not bothered what cashier days, just bothered by what scales say at end of week!

this!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I usually hope the cashier doesn't assume I'm an alcoholic from the amount of beer I buy.

That assumption would be correct...

*Note: Firstsip and I are friends, I am merely teasing her..
  • QuietImperfections
    QuietImperfections Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Not the cashier- but I like to see the shame on the face of the person checking out behind me when they have a bunch sugary cereals, frozen pizzas and icecreams. Does this make me evil?

Evil isn't the word that comes to mind....

<
    Buys sugary cereals and ice cream. I prefer fresh pizza. No shame here.

I actually gloat if I happen to find an elusive ice cream flavor to load my basket up with and then post to make everyone jealous....does that make me evil :wink:

It's okay, I can be evil, too. :bigsmile:

7MJPRLh.gif

tumblr_lwtvl4uL211qizvnso1_500.gif

:laugh:
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It is REMARKABLE how many cashiers do not know what some vaguely random vegetables and fruit are. Whenever I have jicama, mango, Basque pears, bok choy, kale, parsnips, etc., etc., invariably they will ask "what's that"? I think it illustrates that most Americans don't eat enough of a variety of fresh produce. I actually had one cashier tell me once that she only ate canned vegetables because she didn't like to poop! LOL. :) I'm dead serious.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I once had a kid look at my cart and tell his mom, "LOOK AT ALL THE POP SHE'S BUYING". His mom was all, "Good for her but you know how bad that is for you" (or something similar). I just chuckled and kept on shopping. It was on sale and I knew it would last me forever, my roommate would drink it and there would eventually be a party. We don't know why others are buying what they do.

I have had to tell cashiers what veggies/fruits I had.

And I love the idea of guessing what someone is going to cook based on their basket. Although honestly I don't pay attention to others. I worked in a grocery store for 5 years... I am just trying to get out quickly!
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    Every time someone buys a honey bun or coke from my store, I just look at them and say, "do you even know how many calories is in that??" Then I suggest they eat eggs for breakfast and salad for lunch.

Remind me to never go to your store. Your suggestions are unwarranted (and very easily mean) unless they ask your opinion. Join the second poster club.
  • BruhManFif
    BruhManFif Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I was a checkout cashier once and frankly didn't care what people were buying as long as my scan per minute times were good.

^^^ THIS. Scan per minute statistics are no joke in the realm of groceries. :laugh: Ah, to be a teenage cashier again... or not. Not. Definitely not. :drinker:
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    It is REMARKABLE how many cashiers do not know what some vaguely random vegetables and fruit are. Whenever I have jicama, mango, Basque pears, bok choy, kale, parsnips, etc., etc., invariably they will ask "what's that"? I think it illustrates that most Americans don't eat enough of a variety of fresh produce. I actually had one cashier tell me once that she only ate canned vegetables because she didn't like to poop! LOL. :) I'm dead serious.

I know what Mango is on that list, that's all.

Oops!
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I do have lots of fun healthy food buying experiences. I had a nice conversation about Greek vs. light yogurt, and will ask people all the time for product reviews if I see they have something I'd like to try in their cart. I love grocery shopping :)
  • WeightWatcherCindy
    Options
    I have sat at the snack bar at Sams club before waiting on tires to be installed on my truck . I love to people watch . It is amazing that most people that go by with fruits and veggies and other healthy foods are much thinner than the people that go by with pizzas , cookies , chips . I guess it's not so amazing . You can defiantly tell a lot about a person from what they buy . I never feel superior . I got to the weight I am from eating crap . I wish all of America could wake up to the evils of junk food . I feel I finally have .
  • KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Not the cashier- but I like to see the shame on the face of the person checking out behind me when they have a bunch sugary cereals, frozen pizzas and icecreams. Does this make me evil?

Evil isn't the word that comes to mind....

<
    Buys sugary cereals and ice cream. I prefer fresh pizza. No shame here.

I actually gloat if I happen to find an elusive ice cream flavor to load my basket up with and then post to make everyone jealous....does that make me evil :wink:

It's okay, I can be evil, too. :bigsmile:

7MJPRLh.gif

Yep. It's official. Tomorrow is f***ing pizza day. Curse you! Curse you all the way to the bowels of Hell itself! *shakes fist*