Break Room Etiquette and Fish?

Options

Replies

• SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Bu the thing is, it's their JOB to do that. It's not my job to deal with your nasty smelling food. I will say nothing was worse then what someone had next to me on a plane. I can't even describe it. It was digusting and worse than any fish smell.

And presumably your job involves sharing an office with other people - who may or may not choose to eat seafood.

And the point was, at some point or another it was everyones job to do that and yet nobody whinged, because whinging would get you ripped mercilessly.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, my first thought was "Why the heck not? If someone doesn't like it that's their problem." After all, scents are very subjective, and what might be a pleasant odour for one person (coffee for ex.) may be pretty nasty for someone else. There was a thread recently about scent likes and dislikes. I bet if someone went through them( not me I'm too lazy) there would probably be some crossover from the like and dislike categories. So where do you draw the line?
    However in the interest of office harmony, I'd put it to a vote, majority rules.
    At the end of the day though you really have to ask yourself if it's worth raising a stink over?

Interesting.

I am now a livestock farmer - before this I spent years as a trout farmer. Every day, at least twice a day, someone would have to empty the deads bucket and the guts bucket from the processing room into the big barrels of deads + guts that got emptied once every few months. Everybody had to do it when it was their turn.

If you couldn't put up with the smell you were a p u s s y and it was open season on you for ridicule. I have seen a grown man vomit doing this job in summer and he still carried on and finished the job.

A bad cooking smell? Just suck it up and get on with your life.

Edited to add: we had more than one woman employed gutting fish who did the above job without flinching.

Bu the thing is, it's their JOB to do that. It's not my job to deal with your nasty smelling food. I will say nothing was worse then what someone had next to me on a plane. I can't even describe it. It was digusting and worse than any fish smell.

It isn't their job to be concerned about what foods you don't like the smell of either. If it's a common lunch area then people need to deal with other people's food or find somewhere else to eat. We have several indians that eat curry a lot here, it doesn't smell the best (even though it's awesome) but no one complains.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    Does cooked fish really smell that bad? I've never noticed :/

But I certainly do notice when someone who has been smoking stands/sits next to me and I feel like i'm going to choke because of the smell or when someone is wearing too much perfume and so if people complain about what I'm eating (I've had this with a few different meals) I usually just smile politely and apologize and then proceed to ignore them and continue to bring whatever I want.

it's not about what you eat. it's about the odor you leave behind that others have to suffer with until it dissipates, which in some offices can take hours. would you want somebody walking into your cubicle or office and farting every morning and then walking away? same principle.

if the smell stayed in the break room, then fine.

but i once worked at an office where the air from the break room was recycled into the building and anyone on the same floor as the break room was forced to endure those smells for the next couple of hours after lunch.

Eating your lunch and farting in someones cubicle is not even remotely close to the same principal here on earth where the rest of us live.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Cook your fish, but bring a nice air freshener with you.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I truly can't have fish for leftovers. It's mostly in my head, I dont know. More power to you. I dont know if I would bring it in to work to reheat though. I do have to admit that would smell disgusting!
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I get glee out of cooking smelling food in the break room. Great, great glee.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Yeahhhhhh I wouldn't worry about it. Eat your food. Honestly, I've never had anyone complain about the smell of seafood (salmon) when reheating it at work and I work with a bunch of people who would never consider eating healthy.

And besides, these are the people who routinely cook and burn popcorn or put ramen noodles or cup o soup into the microwave without water. There's NOTHING worse than that.
    would you want somebody walking into your cubicle or office and farting every morning and then walking away? same principle.
    But it's not really. Like, not at all, ever, in the least.
  • JSlater319
    JSlater319 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Are people who work in offices just naturally oversensetive darlings then?

If you dont like the smell of a perfectly usual foodstuff - its your problem, stop being so pathetic.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • atucker0821
    atucker0821 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    how can fish smell any worse re-heated than it does when it's first cooked? i work in an office and i could care less what other people re-heat...my boss eats tuna from a can...i buy those packs to tuna...opened one a bit aggressively and the juice splashed all over me...yep, i was a fishy girl that day...and i work with bunch of construction site men...

eat your fish, girl!
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My day sucks bad enough, I don't want to smell stinky fish.

Exactly, gross
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I guess its your office and your decision -- my best friend at work's desk is right by the kitchen and she suffers thru some gross food, including fish, burnt toast & popcorn. She has asthma and sometimes it really does make her have to leave her desk.
  • fiona2785
    Options
    Depends on your relationship with your co-workers. I'd tell mine to suck it up, and they'd probably begin a stinky food contest or something...

If they're sensitive little souls who are easily upset... meh. Tbh I'd probably still say that!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't sit near the kitchenette, but if I did I'd be jacked if someone came and stunk up my work space. For really, really smelly food I have the left overs for dinner the next day and something else for lunch.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    My day sucks bad enough, I don't want to smell stinky fish.

Exactly, gross

Find a new job where no one eats fish for lunch I guess.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If others can micro popcorn or re-heat some strong-smelling other foods (my fave is Thai, I bring it all the time, lots of curries :) ), then you can have your fish.

A guy in my office took up the micro for 10 minutes at noon "baking" a sweet potato. That was not cool. I had to wait forever to eat.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I find that people that are too busy worrying about what I am having for lunch and how it smells must not have enough work to do. I simply point that out to them to shut them up. I eat what I want and if some one else brings in stinky food, I don't complain about it. I personally don't think the fish smell is as bad as burnt popcorn.
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    As someone very allergic to fish and shellfish, just smelling the fish smell could make me extremely ill. (My throat will start to swell shut just from breathing it in.) Leave it at home.

I also don't like burnt popcorn smell, but that is just an annoyance, not a life-threatening odor.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If others can micro popcorn or re-heat some strong-smelling other foods (my fave is Thai, I bring it all the time, lots of curries :) ), then you can have your fish.

A guy in my office took up the micro for 10 minutes at noon "baking" a sweet potato. That was not cool. I had to wait forever to eat.

Rude! I bring in sweet potatoes for lunch, but I microwave them at home while getting ready in the morning and then just heat it up for lunch. Suggest that to him.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    I guess its your office and your decision -- my best friend at work's desk is right by the kitchen and she suffers thru some gross food, including fish, burnt toast & popcorn. She has asthma and sometimes it really does make her have to leave her desk.

People who burn toast and popcorn are just dumb and should be yelled at. How hard is it to stop the microwave when the popcorn stops popping or set the setting on the taoster?
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    People will find something to whine about no matter what.

Cook your fish and enjoy it...

Now burnt popcorn?....

Agreed. I ate my salmon two days in a row. I got one comment and my response was "well we all can't eat McDonald's everyday like you tubby." This was said to my friend and co-worker who can bench press a small village....... and has about a 31.5 inch waist. I hate him.