1200, VLCD, and EM2WL

Options

Replies

• tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Everyone please just agree to disagree. There is no prize for winning. Let the man have his opinions in peace, and you keep yours the same way. This site is wonderfully supportive.
  • SugarBoomBoom
    Options
    Everyone please just agree to disagree. There is no prize for winning. Let the man have his opinions in peace, and you keep yours the same way. This site is wonderfully supportive.

And you are a wonderful person :flowerforyou:
  • leejayem
    leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist calculated for me & recommended 1200 cals a day. His advise is that losing weight means eating fewer calories over a given period of time until goal weight is attained - including taking hormones into consideration (since it's obviously his area of expertise) He also said that to lose muscle mass of any kind you would have to be eating under 500 calories a day - so I would LOVE to see some actual REAL stats on this from all those who swear that 1200 a day puts you into starvation mode!!! My doctors advise has come from years of training, research, & patients successfully losing weight & avoiding diabetes (like me) - so I'll continue to take his advise. It's working for me, when I can manage to stick to it!! We all just do what works after all.:drinker:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    1. An endocrinologist does not specialize in nutrition
    2. The fact that you are seeing an endo says to me that your metabolism is probably atypical to start with
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

because I still have body fat to lose? I mean, you have to eat more than you need to gain, and you have to eat less than you need to lose. Eating maintenance and trying to lose weight would be silly, I'd spin my wheels.

And yes, I'll admit that the title of my post was... ok, let's call it what it is, bait. The Eat MOAR crowd can't resist a thread with ANY of those words in them, and throughout today I had had just about enough of the eat moar crowd telling me that the simple, non-specific advice I was trying to give to people was wrong, and then told to keep my opinions to myself. I was mad at the pretentious and the know it all, better than everyone attitude and smugness from some people in some groups. I saw a post where someone told everyone who was eating less than 2000, not logging, and not calculating TDEE as "Doing it wrong" and when I wrote a post to rebut it, it was reported and a moderator locked the thread faster than hell. Promoting eating disorders by showing people the results of documented, reviewed studies is not something that should be locked or shouted down, yet a lot of the eat moar crowd did. So bite me.

You guys make it too easy. Don't yell at someone for eating what MFP recommends, offer your own silly calculations, and then have no more to say to people when they ask why it's not working. "Just stick with it!!"

Wow, so you started this to incite a reaction...then you will probably bitch once this gets locked too.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

1. It didn't work,

What you are missing is the Road Map plan is a FAT LOSS plan, not solely a weight loss plan. The point is to reduce body fat % without sacrificing too much lean body mass. As such, people who do not have as much weight to lose may not drop weight as fast. And their original goal weights often are unrealistic once they actually do start losing fat and their bodies become smaller, they find that they don't have to lose that much weight to have the look they want.

You gained weight on it..... well then you either did not give it enough time, due to having suppressed your metabolism by eating too few calories for too long a time..... or you didn't do it right.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist calculated for me & recommended 1200 cals a day. His advise is that losing weight means eating fewer calories over a given period of time until goal weight is attained - including taking hormones into consideration (since it's obviously his area of expertise) He also said that to lose muscle mass of any kind you would have to be eating under 500 calories a day - so I would LOVE to see some actual REAL stats on this from all those who swear that 1200 a day puts you into starvation mode!!! My doctors advise has come from years of training, research, & patients successfully losing weight & avoiding diabetes (like me) - so I'll continue to take his advise. It's working for me, when I can manage to stick to it!! We all just do what works after all.:drinker:

Yes that all lovely and nice etc but it's not what this thread is about really. The OP is advocating VLCD's to lose weight quickly despite advise from very experienced people. He is actively encouraging others to lose the way he is. If your way works, great, carry on, but don't try and get other people to follow you. We all do what works for us but the OP is basically doing what he is berating others for. Pot...kettle....much.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Do you even lift?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I'll go backwards, I was part of the EM2WL group and I saw post after post after post of "I'm gaining" or "this isn't working". I'm only railing against his and his follower's use of extreme language, an inability to see people as special and specific and unique, and their use of their own internet calculators which tend to over calculate needs. They frequently intimidate and ridicule people who eat what MFP recommends...

And I ask, how is that acceptable language or behavior in a forum, on a website that is supposed to be uplifting and supportive? I eventually paid for a session with a nutritionist, and with my workouts and calorie cuts, her numbers got close to matching up with MFP. So when I offer advice to people in other posts telling them not to eat when they aren't hungry, I'm kinda not saying anything specific. When I cite studies showing that eating more causes weight gain, and eating less causes weight loss, I am accused of trying to "justify" my own unhealthy habits.

Most of the sucessful people in that group are already close to lean. They need to leave others alone, others who are going by this website's own calculations.

And I ask, what is wrong with eating under my BMR, if what I am eating is nutritious and I have vitamins and supplements in my diet?

I agree with you 100%

And thank you for having the stones to start this thread, knowing the crucifixion that was certainly to come! And congrats on your weight loss success.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

Yes that all lovely and nice etc but it's not what this thread is about really. The OP is advocating VLCD's to lose weight quickly despite advise from very experienced people. He is actively encouraging others to lose the way he is. If your way works, great, carry on, but don't try and get other people to follow you. We all do what works for us but the OP is basically doing what he is berating others for. Pot...kettle....much.

1200 is NOT considered a VLCD. That description is for under 800 calories per day.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

1200 is NOT considered a VLCD. That description is for under 800 calories per day.

for a man ( which the OP is) I'd say 1200 is a VLCD, as the minimum recommended for men is 1800.
  • DonnaMDaniels
    DonnaMDaniels Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I dont really see anything wrong with what you are posting, what works for one, may not work for another, we are all different. IF it was some magic formula, or easy, would we all be on here! Cheers and good luck to everyone!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

only if she's 5' 3"
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I say, let the man eat the way he wants and when he gets to goal weight and doesn't see what he imagined he'd see in the mirror, he can sulk and cry and pout and all that.

I know what works long term and I'll continue to do what's best for my body and not fight against it.

:drinker:

Excuse me, i have 1700 more calories i need to eat for the day....
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    Not to stick my head in the lions mouth, but how, on days where I haven't worked out for over a week, is the MFP recommended 1300 a VLCD?

It is not. The medical definition of VLCD is under 800 per day.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I'll go backwards, I was part of the EM2WL group and I saw post after post after post of "I'm gaining" or "this isn't working". I'm only railing against his and his follower's use of extreme language, an inability to see people as special and specific and unique, and their use of their own internet calculators which tend to over calculate needs. They frequently intimidate and ridicule people who eat what MFP recommends...

And I ask, how is that acceptable language or behavior in a forum, on a website that is supposed to be uplifting and supportive? I eventually paid for a session with a nutritionist, and with my workouts and calorie cuts, her numbers got close to matching up with MFP. So when I offer advice to people in other posts telling them not to eat when they aren't hungry, I'm kinda not saying anything specific. When I cite studies showing that eating more causes weight gain, and eating less causes weight loss, I am accused of trying to "justify" my own unhealthy habits.

Most of the sucessful people in that group are already close to lean. They need to leave others alone, others who are going by this website's own calculations.

And I ask, what is wrong with eating under my BMR, if what I am eating is nutritious and I have vitamins and supplements in my diet?

Dan is NOT EM2WL.... two totally different people. EM2WL is Lucia and Kiki. All of them support the concept of eating at your TDEE -15-20% to lose fat and maintain lean mass.

Please make sure if you are going to bash someone in the public forums you get your people/stories and ideas straight. Better yet, shut it, starve yourself and carry on....
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Heyyyyy Tank!

You are one of hundreds of people ive done numbers for.
    For free mind you.

Most people who have any issues or stall come to me and ask questions.

You on the other hand have decided to go on a "Smear Dan Crusade!"

So for that......

Image removed by MFP Staff

I bet its your lack of a good workout routine that held you back and given the fact you were only using my plan for a very short time...well...you deserve it.

You lack the #1 trait that people changing their lives need.

Patience.

Oh and i'll quote Brad Pilon about just losing fat and not LBM at VLCD "Dexa or it didnt happen!"

Enjoy your day!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I recon you are just a tad rude attacking Dan for trying to help ......and your argument does not quite stack up...

Dan's numbers includes your exercise calories
    MFP numbers as calculated does not include exercise calories - and they very clearly calculate your daily net by adding your exercise - so in fact you will find your daily number is not 1350 - but 1350 PLUS your exercise calories - which gets you much closer to Dan's number.....
    As others have said Dan would also not have calculated a 1.5lb a week loss - he would have based it on a 1 lb a week loss at minimum, so instead of bashing the man why dont you recalculate the numbers once more with a one pound loss - and ADD BACK exercise calories to the MFP base calories and you might find the numbers are pretty even...

But you know what - you do it your way - good luck - I suspect we might see you join the trillions of other 1200 gang that does not eat back their exercise calories.......how many times do we see those posts "I am not losing anything" " I am so frustrated...."

OK - back to what I was doing when I got so rudely interrupted - making sure I eat my 2100 calories for the day - as I have been doing for the past 8 months :-) :-) :-)

quoting this for truth.
  • TonyaBtrfly
    TonyaBtrfly Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 I eat between 1700 and 2000 calories a day depending on my activity level at the time. Ive lost 33lbs. I think Dan is a hero as well as Kiki & lucia from EM2WL. These 3 people saved me from starving myself to lose weight. Maybe im special!! or maybe your WRONG!!!! And did not have the patience it requires to repair your body! Who knows, either way your a jerk for posting a thread with peoples names in it and spouting off things you dont know wtf your talking about! Now go be HANGRY and shutup!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

And for the last time, he didn't say 1.5, I did. He calculated my cut based on TDEE -15%, which I thought was silly and molasses slow
    [/quote]

Remember, this program is for fat loss, not weight loss. We do not measure our progress based on the scale. We measure it based on how our clothes fit and measurements.

In my experience is way better! Why? Because the more you weight, the more you can eat!!

I would love to be a size 4 and eat like I am a size 6 or 8!!
This discussion has been closed.