Replies

• green022
    green022 Posts: 115
    Options
    Great post and I learned some! :love:
  • peejay34mason
    peejay34mason Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Abso FRICKEN lutely!! Well spoken my friend!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

Also to add/emphasis, strength training is very important for bone density, something that is of concern as you get older, especially for women.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Love this post, preach it sista! I am 57 years old and did not start strength training until last July. And I could not agree more. I so wish I had started when I was your age. My body is undergoing quite a transformation and I love it. I'm stronger, more confident, and just look better. I have a MD niece at Christmas that told me my body looked like a teenager. This is all because of the strength training I am doing. And she told me just this week that because of the strength training and cardio I'm doing, while my birth date makes me 57 I am probably 37-47 physiologically. So yes women, lift! You will feel so awesome!
  • Michelle_Nicole
    Michelle_Nicole Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    qpMBm.gif

Love it!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Geez... it's like you're telling us to shut up and listen or something... ;)

Great post!!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I skimmed this while listening to Internet radio and shopping for a Kindle Fire. But lifting weights is good, yes?
  • fatboymax
    Options
    bump to read later
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I need a good weight's routine. I asked someone the other week and haven't gotten the email they promised to send me. :grumble:

I've looked online, but I need total body workouts with weights, at home.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    What an informative, helpful, and uplifting thread! Just the kind of thing this site needs more of.

I look forward to it being locked.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I like this just as much today as yesterday ;)

Yep.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

Also to add/emphasis, strength training is very important for bone density, something that is of concern as you get older, especially for women.

Thank you, I meant to add that too and forgot.

I loved reading all the responses

Beginners: others have posted links and there are people, if you ask, would be more than willing to give advice. Just last night I emailed one of my more veteran friends on here to ask advice regarding weight training....specifically using my daughter as the weight haha I'm not kidding. He gave me some very useful advice. As it is, when I'm in a rush at the grocery store and only need a few things, I throw the kid on my shoulders, grab a basket and go. She thinks it's great!

For those just starting out that don't really have the strength yet. They make 1 and 2lbs weights. Carry a pair of weights while on a walk. Maybe buy some ankle weights for added resistence. Shadow box and work your up.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    What an informative, helpful, and uplifting thread! Just the kind of thing this site needs more of.

I'll just keep reposting :wink:
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I'll just keep reposting :wink:

Please do!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

and balance...
    and neurological function...
    possibly calcium/calcitonin/T3 thyroid feedback function ...

Let me put it this way - you don't want to end up with one of the devices I designed in your hips.

A hip fracture, on average, reduces life expectancy by 5-10 years!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options

Honestly one of my favorite posts I've read on here in a long time.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Honestly one of my favorite posts I've read on here in a long time.

FACT.

Great words, lady!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Didn't get to yesterday's post before it was locked. :)
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I belong to a long hair group

Never heard of something such as this. What do you do at your "long hair group"? Oh, and so as not to hijack this thread, thanks for the post OP. I have lost 29 lbs with almost no exercise but know I def need to incorporate strength training into my routine.