Member of Gym or workout at home/outside?

Options

Replies

• MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hi, i would never waste my money on gym membership. I have a good routine, i walk 2.4 miles to work and back again every week day and then a dvd in the evening. I have gone through Jillian Michaels, to dance dvds. i am currently doing a 12 week programme call Xtrain Fit. in the confort of my own home works for me.

I am a mum i work full time, with a house to look after and now studying with the Open University for my Degree!
  • desness
    desness Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So far all my weightloss has been through dvd's and walking. I'd love to join a gym as i do think it wouldgiveme better results, but alas, there's no room in my life for the gym...hopefully someday soon.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I workout at home. I have DVDs for yoga and cardio, but I mostly do strength training, I have a weight bench with preacher curl and leg extension, standard bar, olympic bar, spinlock dumbbells, lots of plates, a swiss ball, a pull up bar, a step and backpack (to put wieghts in) it suits me well.
  • JennytheWicked
    JennytheWicked Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I do both. When the weather is nice, I spend 90% of my workout outdoors (usually hiking) but on days like today (when it's 12 degrees) I'll go to the gym.

Conversely, I do have a friend who does home workouts like p90x and absolutely loves it. I did try it and if I have a friend with me I can see the benefits of working out at home but I could be too easily tempted to say screw it and make excuses without.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Gym. Though, given what I actually do there, it would probably be more cost effective in the long term if I were to just buy a bunch of damned plates, and bench, and a power rack. Then again, I live in an apartment, and I could see my neighbors getting all kinds of ****ty over me deadlifting at 2 a.m.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I live in an apartment, so I don't have room for equipment. I go to the gym to workout. I have a 24 hour fitness that is next to my apartment complex. I usually walk, unless the weather is bad.

I do have a pull up bar to use at home, though.
  • scjl132
    scjl132 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    We are fortunate to have a small gym located in the country not far from home. So along with supporting a small local business it is wonderful to go and work out without distractions of small grandchildren and other things related to home.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    My main workouts are at the gym. I recently got a wii fitness board and I have zumba dvd's on the way so I will add doing zumba at home probably once a week. I try to walk my dog once or twice a week.
  • alvin0012
    alvin0012 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I always make sure my GYM is about 2-3 miles from where I live. It makes life more easier. I go to the gym to use the equipments and take advantage of that.

When doing cardio, I just put on my shoes and run outside. Well except now because of this NYC chilling weather! :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    both
    I always make sure my GYM is about 2-3 miles from where I live. It makes life more easier. I go to the gym to use the equipments and take advantage of that.

When doing cardio, I just put on my shoes and run outside. Well except now because of this NYC chilling weather! :)

not me man. my gym needs to be within a ten minute walk for me to be able to go regularly.
  • 5auce
    5auce Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm too much of a germaphobe so I work out at home/outside.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym because I wont work out when I am at home.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I workout at home. I have weights, yoga mat, resistance bands + bar, exercise ball, ankle & wrist weights, youtube workouts, etc, so no reason not to :)

I also power-walk 3-4 times a week for 90+ minutes each time, I have a grocery store down the road from my house so anytime I want anything/need groceries, I make myself walk to get it, load up my backpack, then walk back home again. :)
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I do both.

my gym is on the university campus I work at about a 1/4 mile jog from my office.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I do both, have insanity at home and use the gym to lift weights
  • ijavagypsy
    Options
    I work out at home. Gym is way too crowded and classes are always full :-/

Me, too. Now that I'm old and have breathing problems, I'm more comfortable in a home environment, plus I get to work out to belly dance tapes and DVD's that I'd feel very self conscious about doing in public. I love a silly workout, and I don't have to stand in line waiting for a machine when I do weights.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I just work out at home. I have an elliptical machine and I bought Just Dance 4 for the XBOX. I want to start doing some exercises with my resistance band but I have to do some research to find some good ones first.
  • rgohm
    rgohm Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I do both. I usually go to the gym though.
  • justforjen1
    justforjen1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Used to just try and work out/walk at home, but found it way too easy for me to come up with an excuse not to do it, whether it was the pile of dishes to wash, the pile of laundry to fold or just a good show on TV. So I joined our local YMCA the end of December. They have free child care and tons of programs for my 4 year old, so I can work out while she is having fun as well, rather than sitting at home watching Dora. :-)
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'm a double-dipper. I workout at home in the AM before I get ready for work, then hit the gym after work. If I need to get home to take care of things, I'll workout out at home after work or on off-days/weekends when I don't want to drive the 30 mins to the gym (nothing affordable closer).

I got some amazing results working out at home for over 2 years though, have increased my results at the gym, but since I have a bar & plates, dumbbells & numerous workout DVD's at home, I can really do the same at home (I just need to finish re-doing the room that is supposed to be my exercise room & I'm good to go!).

To be honest, I'm a little anti-social so really don't like a crowded gym, but I go because of the easy access to weights. As soon as the NY-Resoluntionist are gone, it will slow down a lot (I know that's wrong to think/say that, but it is true in some cases!).