Ed's Nightmare Soup

Options
124»

Replies

• WolowitzTimestwo
    WolowitzTimestwo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Great soup story. It made my day. You should write a blog of eds culinary adventures. I would read it.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Great soup story. It made my day. You should write a blog of eds culinary adventures. I would read it.

I have written a few blogs, since I joined MFP...just about a month ago. One of my MFP sisters told me to put some on the message board. I thought that blogs and messages were pretty much the same. However, most folks seem to prefer the message board.

My Facebook posts about my life with Ed are notorious. Ed loves to ride his bike and take photos for me. I post many of those picture with my own personal take on the photos. Yesterday, he found a local animal shelter and tried to get me to say yes to adopting a bull mastive. It was one of those..."Mama, pleeeease. Can I have her. I already named her Blue."

Before anyone tells me to let him have that dog...We live in a small apartment complex with strict rules about dogs. 15 pounds tops, must live indoors, must be CARRIED off the property to go potty and more. There is no way a bull mastive weighs less than 100 pounds. Their poo weigh more than the 15 pound limit for a whole dog.

Ed was just day dreaming and wanted to show me his lovely adventure at the animal shelter.
  • hadsmith11
    Options
    A few years ago when I was a typical poor college kid my room mate and I were desperate so we put whatever we could find in a crock pot and made what we now call Stoup. It consisted of noodles, heavy cream, every spice in the cupboard, canned chicken, canned potatoes, peas, and corn. It turned out surprisingly delicious. Sometimes crazy concoctions can turn out good. Although your nightmare soup does sound terrifying. Lol good luck with Ed! :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • mbryanlpc
    mbryanlpc Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This is the greatest thread I have ever seen on MFP. Thank you, & Special Ed, for sharing :) I wish you much luck in Ed's further crockpot adventures!!
  • alettep
    alettep Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Your stories are awesome! My husband is my cook & he prefers to follow a recipe. Exactly. He made rice krispie bars one day and was asking "What do I do with the left over marshmallows?" I thought what is he talking about...there are not left-overs????? Well the instructions on the bag of big marshmallows said "40 marshmallows".......so yep~he had counted out 40 and there were a few left! I just laughed as I come from a family where we just sort estimate & you just use the whole bag of marshmallows! Lately though he's tried branching out on our stir-fries & I think I like my fussy, anal husband better.....he threw in pineapple, which was great but then added manderin oranges, craisens, & I don't even know what else but it was Not good!
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I call it refrigerator soup and the french call it "haute cuisine ". I would encourage him to keep on with his experiments. You should encourage him to branch out with more veggies and chicken. Try kale, spinach carrots, varieties of beans and you will have the greatest soups ever
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I think this is the best thread I've ever read. Give your Special Ed a kiss for me! :smooched:
  • phoebeleb
    phoebeleb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    loved your story! am reading parts of it to my husband - who is, by the way, is cooking up some wierd concoction of his own with the deep fryer! :-) it looks chinese but i am skeptical. I just gave a part of it to the birds to eat cuz I didn't think the dogs would eat it.... thanks again!
  • WolowitzTimestwo
    WolowitzTimestwo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am new to the site and just learning my way around. I tried to quote you but alas my smartphone and newbieness got the best of me. Funny about the bull mastiff . I actually have one. He is the biggest baby ever. His name is Mitchell and he cries like a 100 pound baby. I will look for your blogs and best of luck with your fitness journey.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! It warmed my heart, and distracted my appetite. :laugh:
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    Funny about the bull mastiff . I actually have one. He is the biggest baby ever. His name is Mitchell and he cries like a 100 pound baby.

Before we moved into our little apartment, we were living in the parsonage of our church in small agricultural town. We had 2 dogs, a chihuahua who we had been with us for 2 years. We were told 'no pets', when we moved. We were able to find him a good home with another pastor who lived nearby.

The other dog was our beloved Brandy...a 16 year old, half bull mastive and half rottie. Just before we left, our old girl developed cancer and had to be put to rest. It totally broke our hearts. She had been with Ed, when I first met him...8 years ago. She was my 'first dog'. I found a gentle, loving companion. Her first love was Ed, but she spent most of her time watching over Mama. She seemed to realize that I needed that careful attention, when Papa wasn't around. Strange though, when thunder came, she would take shelter with me. She saw me as the 'alpha' in our pack.

Both Ed and I still miss our old girl. If we ever moved to a house again, we will undoubted have another dog. Bull mastive...probably not.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    Ed is currently eating his 4th bowl of nightmare soup. He did add some salt to his bowl.

Now, he is heading back for his 5th bowl. He said, "I will lose weight, if I eat a lot of small meals...instead of one big meal."

Let me get this straight...If he put all of that soup in one big bowl, it is more food? No! You just ate 2 smaller bowls of soup, one right after the other; and now, he are going back for another bowl. That is 3 small bowls in 30 minutes. It still sounds like a BIG bowl of soup to me.

He thinks that his soup is as good as Pea Soup Anderson split pea soup. Believe me...It isn't. He has destroyed his sense of taste, while eating his own cooking.

He also believes that the presence of vegetables in that soup make it diet food. :noway:
  • kokoforskinny
    kokoforskinny Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I most definately love your story of the nightmare soup and Special Ed. Tell him to try actually follow a recipe. :) Good Luck.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Kudos to Ed for trying!!!! And kudos to you for sticking with your plan, and losing that 20 lbs. You two are awesome!!!!!

Great going on the soup! Applaud him for the small steps; it will encourage larger ones.

And great going on the 20-lb. loss! :flowerforyou:
  • Lissette_Brooks
    Lissette_Brooks Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    OMG I HEART ED TO PIECES! LMFAO <3
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    But it's excellent diet food! I'd rather eat nothing than that...
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    My hubbie is a retired pastor, and all of our church family call him Pastor Special Ed. He is definitely special, and I love him more than anyone else in the world. However, I will not put myself in line for a stomach ache...even for him. Ed has a cast iron stomach; he could eat nails. In fact, he once suggested adding nails to the pot. Why? "That would add IRON to the food." He really believe that. :noway:

Oh, be glad that he never actually followed through on adding the nails! (at least he's trying) :laugh:
  • judiiiiindisguise
    judiiiiindisguise Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    this blog, your comments, everyone's comments is fantastic.. I think you are going to be famous with your Special Ed stories, your dog stories, you have so much humor and love to share, keep it coming xoxox your pal Judi
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    What didn't mention was the fact that Ed considered putting some of his anointing oil into the soup, when he realized that he didn't have any olive oil. He was close. Anointing is basically olive oil, but Ed's oil also contains frankincense and myrrh. It might bless his concoction and make it smell better, but I doubt that either of those ingredients were intended to eat. :noway:
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    For more of Ed's unique thinking...See my latest blogs Food Wisdom From Special Ed. I also put that post on the Nutrition Board, but it seems to be very busy board; and that post has dropped off the first page already after only 30 minutes.