Options

Replies

• nanamartinez13
    nanamartinez13 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks for sharing.
  • bbaughman2008
    Options
    im 37, i weigh 204.5 and want to get to 185, it says i need 1320 a day, yes ive had some cookies and different stuff but stayed under that 1320 even with exercise. how should i go about all of this
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    GREAT POST!!!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Great post! You know it makes perfect sense and I never thought about that before. If you go straight to 1200 calories then you really can't cut any calories off that safely if your weight stalls. Thanks for posting.
  • Lisapayne76
    Lisapayne76 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • alowry007
    alowry007 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have MFP set on 1200 cals a day and so far I have been OK. However, I have been working out every day and I haven't lost an ounce in almost a week. I'm thinking I might bump up to 1500 just to see if it makes a difference.
  • lisaroelfs
    lisaroelfs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tlesa88
    tlesa88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. I'm a newbie and I experienced what Monica did at first. I gained a pound back. I was very discouraged, but with the help of others (including this post) I feel rejuvenated and I am going to keep going!

I weigh 187 and I am eating about 1500 calories a day and I'm 5'2". Do you think this is appropriate? I also exercise 5-7 days a week, depending on the week!
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    very helpful info!! thank you:flowerforyou:
  • tlc56101
    Options
    I started working out in October and at first just worked out and gradually changed my eating. The person that I was training with took my body fat percentage did some calculations and told me to eat about 1600 calories per day. I joined my fitness pal after that and it suggested 1200 calories. My weight loss was at a complete stand still for weeks. I now eat a minimum of 1600 calories but often eat closer to 1800-2000 because I work out 7 days a week and burn off all of the extra calories I consume. My weight loss kick started within just a few days of bumping up my calories. I found out that is really important to find out what is right for you. So I really enjoyed seeing your post about the importance of finding the right fit calorie wise for you!!!
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Very informative, and I have changed my calories to between 1450 and 1550, I feel better, and I think I will see a loss too, I was not losing at 1200 after the first few weeks
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Honestly,I don't know what to think.
    My daily goal is 1500 calories and I'd say that works for me(because I've been losing weight),even though I weigh 85 kg and that's a lot.
    Sometimes I feel like I can't survive on 1500 a day and then I usually stop logging in and I eat what I want,but sometimes those 1500 seem like they are way more than enough,like today (I've eaten 1200 cals and I'm full).
  • JadeZaragoza
    Options
    I know what you mean, My calorie goal is 1260 and I always go over, it never fails, I´m beating myself up for eating 1350 or 1400, but hello I´m dying of hunger!!!! lol. I just started out so I´m just getting in to hang of things but it's difficult.
  • noirnatural
    noirnatural Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Interesting, very informative.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    nice post! thank you for taking the time to type it all out.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Honestly,I don't know what to think.
    My daily goal is 1500 calories and I'd say that works for me(because I've been losing weight),even though I weigh 85 kg and that's a lot.
    Sometimes I feel like I can't survive on 1500 a day and then I usually stop logging in and I eat what I want,but sometimes those 1500 seem like they are way more than enough,like today (I've eaten 1200 cals and I'm full).

This is very common! These days we binge and starve, and I've seen that alot in the PMs I've gotten. Consistency is a great issue. For these individuals, what helps is to set a caloric intake where you are not likely to stop logging and just go crazy. First we must build the habit of controlled and consistent intake. That should reflect in terms of accurate and precise logging. If you feel like 1500 makes you crave 3 cheat days in a row, start eating more. What's the difference? You're going to cheat back all those calories anyways, so let's see if you can eat 1800 a day and stay there. At some point, you will be consistent. Do not give up on yourself. For now, I don't care if you're losing weight on 1800 calories....I just would like to see a commitment to a certain degree!
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I am one of you...
    ...1200 calories a day is a paltry sniff of food. It's a dab of nutrients, and it's almost impossible to follow on a consistent (years) basis....

The number itself mocks you and makes you feel inadequate....You will live on...yes..but in misery.

well the thing is, you're not me.
    You look like a rather muscular man, where as I am neither. When you turn into a 45 year old woman, then you'll be one of "me".
    1200 calories a day probably is NOT enough for you, but its fine for me. I'm not starving. most days i'm not even hungry.
    I woh't have to stay at 1200 calories for years, because I will get to my goal weight and eat more to maintain.

I'm not mocked, and I don't feel inadequate, and i'm not miserable.

perhaps you should change the thread title to end with "for me", since you can't stand there and tell me what's going to work for me.

I totally agree with this persons response and to be honest I got as far as this lady has quoted as I just thought its another one of those boring 'starvation mode' threads. But she is right you are not her and you are definitely not me. Until you walk a day in my shoes then you might understand more of what I do.

I have been on a 1200 and under plan since september. I am not weak and I am certainly not living a miserable life! I was miserable before starting the plan as I was over 300lbs but now I have lesser health problems and feeling very energetic to be honest. One of my closest friends has lost 167lbs and another has lost 87lbs doing a 1200 calorie diet so technically your theory is wrong. What is working for me obviously didn't work for your client and I am sure there will be a time when I will have to increase my calories but until that happens I will gladly prove you and many others wrong!!!!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I didn't read it but I can tell you that 1200 (net) can work.
  • Aljos
    Aljos Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Interesting...I will try doing this.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I am one of you...
    ...1200 calories a day is a paltry sniff of food. It's a dab of nutrients, and it's almost impossible to follow on a consistent (years) basis....

The number itself mocks you and makes you feel inadequate....You will live on...yes..but in misery.

well the thing is, you're not me.
    You look like a rather muscular man, where as I am neither. When you turn into a 45 year old woman, then you'll be one of "me".
    1200 calories a day probably is NOT enough for you, but its fine for me. I'm not starving. most days i'm not even hungry.
    I woh't have to stay at 1200 calories for years, because I will get to my goal weight and eat more to maintain.

I'm not mocked, and I don't feel inadequate, and i'm not miserable.

perhaps you should change the thread title to end with "for me", since you can't stand there and tell me what's going to work for me.

I totally agree with this persons response and to be honest I got as far as this lady has quoted as I just thought its another one of those boring 'starvation mode' threads. But she is right you are not her and you are definitely not me. Until you walk a day in my shoes then you might understand more of what I do.

I have been on a 1200 and under plan since september. I am not weak and I am certainly not living a miserable life! I was miserable before starting the plan as I was over 300lbs but now I have lesser health problems and feeling very energetic to be honest. One of my closest friends has lost 167lbs and another has lost 87lbs doing a 1200 calorie diet so technically your theory is wrong. What is working for me obviously didn't work for your client and I am sure there will be a time when I will have to increase my calories but until that happens I will gladly prove you and many others wrong!!!!

Hi! I'm really happy you have found your way to weight loss...one way or the other. As I said before, in my OP, 1200 will make everyone lose weight. It all comes down to whether 1200 is a very easy number to keep, or if it is hard for most people. I can see that you are one of those that can stay under 1200, and I am grateful that you've shared your experience, in spite of my recommendations. Weight loss is a journey we all undertake personally. the fact that you've succeeded in this path only makes me feel that much better about being wrong.

What I have posed is not a theory at all. It is a roadmap for those that cannot follow the 1200 diet with much success, or are likely to slip up. I, for one, cannot. I have some experience crash dieting in my younger years on figures around 1200. I always gained it back. If your experience is different, and 1200 will be your number for the years to come, then that's great!

But, I must ask. Why eat only 1200 calories at 300 pounds when the math in either direction suggests that you may lose weight eating more? Why not find out for yourself, in any case how much you can get away with eating while still enjoying weight loss?

then again, I've always been one of those people who try to get away with the bare minimum required for success. But if success is our only goal, wouldn't we try to make our pursuit of it more rewarding?