What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    what makes the shrimp roll "crunchy"? This is friend bits of tempura batter.
    Sushi. and not fried either! I was just curious the other day about how many calories were in one Crunchy Shrimp roll, come to find out it was almost 1/2 of my daily intake of cal's I freaked out! How can 1 small roll of Sushi have 500+ Calories??! So upsetting I could eat sushi everyday..
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I used to drink Mike's Hard Lemonades in all the different flavors, those were 400 a piece and I was doing 2 to 3 a night. :sad:

Now, I don't drink at all. Except a little something from a Mason Jar when I am sick. Always knocks it out. :drinker:
    Oh god, this.

Also, graham crackers. They aren't awesome for me, I knew that, but two of them are 130 cals? TWO?
    [/quote

I have had Mikes and it was about 250/bottle
  • SmokinFlowers
    Options
    Most recent finds...

Einstein Bros bagels (290!) - without cream cheese.
    Half an order of Carne Asada fries (750) - I knew it was bad but not THAT bad.
    Half an order of chicken teriyaki (750) - also knew but come on.

I'm Asian. And I live in Cali. SO MANY TEMPTATIONS.
  • Chloe0602
    Chloe0602 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Definitely peanut butter!

This!
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Before MFP I NEVER counted calories so here were my shockers...

Pizza - 325 calories for 1/10...umm I used to eat a half everytime. That's my entires day worth right there.

McDonalds - Once they started putting the calories up on the menu, I decided to make my own damn burgers.

Vitamin Water - HOLY CRAP!
  • JBG1987
    JBG1987 Posts: 71
    Options
    Sushi. and not fried either! I was just curious the other day about how many calories were in one Crunchy Shrimp roll, come to find out it was almost 1/2 of my daily intake of cal's I freaked out! How can 1 small roll of Sushi have 500+ Calories??! So upsetting I could eat sushi everyday..

You need to be really careful with the entries for sushi on here. Sometimes I'm pretty sure people just randomly guess a number for the calorie content of foods. For the most part sushi is very low in calories and packed with protein. Usually anything "crunchy" in sushi means fried (the shrimp is deep fried).

For instance, multiple sources including Livestrong.com and HungryGirl.com say a serving of seaweed salad is ~50 calories. Someone entered a 4oz serving for 110 calories.

So my advice is to check multiple resources for calorie amounts if something doesn't have a label and seems outrageous to you.
  • jj1973
    jj1973 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    A boiled egg. I was surprised at how FEW calories were in it...and it satisfies my appetite for quite a while. :)
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    All restaurant food. It seems like everything is triple the calories of eating at home. Some of the items that got me were any of the bread rolls or bread sticks, the salad dressings, the butter, the 1000+ calorie burgers, french frys, pancakes with syrup,enchaladas. At home pot roast, all types of nuts,butter,any bread related product, mayonaise, cheese, pepperoni, ranch dressing, peanut butter. All of these I carefully ration when eating them.
  • Altiv
    Altiv Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Definitely avocados, salmon (I stopped eating it because of it's many calories) and peanuts, before, I could eat a cup of peanuts... and I don't wanna know how many calories where in that, but it's definitely a lot! XD
  • muhl85
    muhl85 Posts: 17
    Options
    Definitely sashimi and avocado! I ordered a sashimi entree w/ avocado salad on a day I'd burned a good amount of calories working out -- knew it wasn't the lowest-cal dinner but thought it was still fairly "virtuous." Logged the calories into MFP and was stunned! I assumed sashimi had to be lower because I never feel particularly full after eating it.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Gluten free foods! Im new to eating glutem free for medical reasons and i got a gluten free pizza. 8 inches, 1/3 is a seriving. 450 calories, 19.5 grams of fat per serving. My eyes fell out of my head.
  • catrunsintowindow
    catrunsintowindow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    BF and I would go to Jack Astors a couple times a month, I would have their saucy chicken fingers and yam fries, and one or two drinks. I knew it wasn't good for me, but it couldn't be THAT bad, right? Nearly 3000 effing calories in that one meal alone! I'm aiming for 1600 all day now!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Definitely peanut butter!
    This
  • sherrymccall
    sherrymccall Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My husband and I, when we first started dating, would go to Cinnabon every weekend and each get a separate cinnamon roll. Back then I wasn't counting calories or worried about my weight but now that I am I looked up the calorie content in a lot of my old favorites and a cinnamon roll from there is over 800 calories. I also used to eat about 6 soft tacos from Taco Bell in one sitting. And to be honest I wasn't really "fat" either. I am 5'1 and my highest weight was 135lbs. That is big for me but not massive so I don't know how I only managed to gain up to that with all the crap I was eating!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Flour.... I love to cook.. but man flour put those calories up there!!

Any good subs for flour? lol
  • sassmo
    sassmo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have you tried PJ2 powder? I swear it tastes pretty much the same and is low cal. I use it for apple dipping. There are lots of recipes with it too. You can get it at local health food stores.
  • MomiTia
    MomiTia Posts: 94 Member
    Options

You could try multigrain flour, high on fibre n lower pn cals but then depends on what ur trying to make out of it, tortillas yes but cake - nope
  • mbreed75
    mbreed75 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Cheeseburger and fries, 1300cals. I knew they weren't good. But Not that bad.
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It wasn't the calories so much, but when I found out that if you have the same serving amount (meaning the weight) of corn flakes, Lay's chips and Doritos, the corn flakes have the most sodium!!

Don't believe it? Check for yourself:
    Kellogg's Corn Flakes: http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/kelloggs-corn-flakes-cereal.html
    Doritos: http://www.fritolay.com/our-snacks/doritos-cool-ranch-chips.html
    Lay's: http://www.fritolay.com/our-snacks/lays-classic-potato-chips.html

It's the same here in the UK and Canada. It amazed and shocked me.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

You could try multigrain flour, high on fibre n lower pn cals but then depends on what ur trying to make out of it, tortillas yes but cake - nope

Thanks!

yea.. i make pizza dough.. so i can use it in that. But i like to make cookies for the kiddos.. and ya have to taste them ya know? Plus a lot of the stuff i make calls for at least a little.