Biggest argument you get in with friends about diet

Options

Replies

• mklassy123
    Options
    I agree with so many things on here that I can't quote or else I would run out of room.

People tell me to cut out carbs for a few weeks. HUH?!?!?!?!?

I had a neighbor of mine (who does fad diets) scream at me in the supermarket when she saw me buy a bag of pretzels. She yelled at me like she was my mother, and this was in front of a bunch of people.

I once had a small cupcake in my hand and someone said to me, "Do you really think you should be eating that?"

I have had people tell me to drink wine instead of beer, I'll lose weight that way. HUH?!?!?!? I love wine and I love beer, both have calories and need to be limited or cut out (I refuse to give up the few glasses of wine a week that I drink).

I try not to tell anyone I am doing anything because it just opens up reasons for people to be obnoxious and give unsolicited advice. People think it's ok to TELL you what to do, even strangers will make comments to people who are overweight.

It truly amazes me what people believe as far as diet is concerned, and by diet I mean lifestyle. I on the other hand just bite my tongue when people tell me what I should do or what they are doing or have done. Sometimes we have to pick our battles and if this battle is going to get me so frustrated then it's not worth it.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I always, ALWAYS get into the "diets don't work"and "it's a LIFESTYLE" argument with people.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I sometimes hear, "Oh, you should try [insert fad diet here]! I know someone who's doing that and they've lost weight!"

I've lost over 120 lbs by eating sensibly and exercising. I think I've found what works for me, and it's not some BS fad diet.

Great post!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I've had a few friends who are 'fat-positive' give me the side eye about losing weight, and telling me I should 'love my body the way it is'. I laughed in their faces and asked did they want me to die?? Because when I was obese death was where I was heading. Sure we're all going to die but why should I rush to the grave? And why should I 'love' the fact that I was a glutton with slothful habits? Both these women are very obese so one of them then asked if I thought THEY were gluttons. I said probably, it's obvious you overeat. It's obvious that you sit and lay around all day. And I didn't feel bad saying it either! If you're going to front on me, I will return the favor. They haven't brought it up to me since. Both still obese, but one recently told me she's amazed at my loss and thinking about losing weight.

Another friend told me I was going to regain the weight once I stopped doing what I was doing. I told her I'm never going to stop. Blew her mind! She was like, you mean you have to keep exercising to maintain a healthy weight? I'd rather just be fat. LOL!
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Ohhh and anything anyone tries to say about women lifting heavy other than "it will make you look freakin amazing"

Exactly, which leads me to the absurd thinking: People who call fat muscle. Muscle on women looks toned, lean, awesome but NOT BULKY.
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    lol i had an arguement about how much those single serving flavored creamers were. my friends weight loss had stalled and she was complaining about it. and i watched her put 5 flavored creamers in her coffee. i asked if she knew she just added almost 150 cal to her coffee and she denied it saying they were only a tsp a piece. i told her they were a tbs a piece and even went and got a medicine cup ( we work in a hospital lol) to show her. with the proof right in front of her she still said she didn't believe it.... sheesh lol
  • ctalimenti
    Options
    I always, ALWAYS get into the "diets don't work"and "it's a LIFESTYLE" argument with people.

I'm starting not to care about what other people look or think like. After all, they are going to need their "a ha" moment" all on their own. It's going to be a picture, a comment, something....but not some lecture from me.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    The biggest argument I get into is when people try to tell me that I don't "need" to be eating at a calorie deficit because I look "fine" the way that I am.

I never said that I was "fat." I simply have a goal to reduce my body fat percentage to the level of female athletes, and all of a sudden friends and family think I am "starving" myself.

This for me too! I am not overweight, but I am at about 30% BF! That's too much and I'm doing something about it.
  • ctalimenti
    Options
    By far the biggest argument I get into with friends is how the vast majority of people fool themselves about how much they actually eat (total calories). I often hear- "I don't eat that much. I only eat one meal a day, blah, blah, blah." I can't help myself. I take the bait and ask, ok, tell me exactly what you ate today. I then explain that the one dinner meal at Cheesecake factory was over 2000 calories they give me a no way. I then tell them to log their calories for a few days to get some real feedback. I usually get a "I am not into fad diets," "calorie counting does not work in the long run," blah, blah, blah. I then tell them I am accustomed to dieting since I was a wrestler in grade and tried most everything (except steroids- although they are mighty tempting). When I am not calorie counting, my mind plays tricks with me and I think I am eating less calories than I am. Thus, by far the best lifelong method is to go back to calorie counting (carbs, fat, protein) when things are not going in the direction I want- i.e. fat percentage, strength increases, energy, sugar level, whatever. We need feedback. Anyone else deal with this from friends?

Exactly, unless you are some sort of savant/Rainman, you need to log your calories. Every time I've stopped, I've gained 5-7 lbs in a few months.

"I don't eat that much." Yeah, but what you DO eat is very rich calorically. That usually shuts them up.
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    "I don't eat that much. I only eat one meal a day, blah, blah, blah."

I am not really responding to your question because I'm not getting into arguments with anyone, although I am getting the "you are losing too much weight" lately. I just wanted to tell you that the above quote came straight from my lips on a regular basis! I didn't eat a lot of food before and didn't understand why I was fat. I would eat once or twice a day, BUT, I would eat a 12" sandwich (steak & cheese my favorite) covered in extra full fat cheese, extra mayo, etc. I'd have to have a bag of chips or fries to go with it and wash it down with way too many rum & diet cokes (daily). Then there was the late night drunk eating! It's amazing how much I can eat now and still lose weight just by making better choices! I eat a lot now and lose, but I exercise daily (cardio and weights) now and I cut out the rum during the week (weekends are still fair game)!

P.S. I log everything - even my liquor!
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I don't talk to my friends about it any more if I can help it, because lots of them are always trying the newest diet or "fat club" or just plain not interested. That's why I have MFP friends and the MFP forums.

This.
  • belizsera
    belizsera Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My coworkers have been teasing me about what I eat. They are the kind of people to point out when someone "falters" so that is my motivation to not cheat because I would have to hear their mouths. It's amazing when you start losing weight how people will start to give you advice and tell you it's going to all come back. This is a life style change, not a diet. I will be eating like this probably for the rest of my life so yeah the weight will come off and stay off. I didn't get fat from eating poorly. I got fat for other reasons and I will bust my *kitten* to get this crap off me.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't matter and no one macro will make you fat.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Fasting is bad for you.

Skipping breakfast will create black holes.

I don't want to lift weights because I'll get bulky.
  • daisyelaine
    daisyelaine Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I get the " It takes too much work to log my calories" complaint a lot. Really? It takes me about 30 seconds.

But mostly, my biggest issue is ANY meal replacement shake plan. UUUUGH!!!! Eat REAL EFFING FOOD!!!! You're not learning anything about how your body uses food, and how you are going to survive if you DO make it to maintenance. Even worse are the ones that will eat ONLY shakes because they're "so full and not hungry". That's what, 800 cals in a day of processed garbage? Say good by to your metabolism.

Ahem. Sorry.. *end rant*
  • staceymoyer1
    staceymoyer1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I get this from my friends and husband, "you're no fun when you're dieting"! What normal person can sit in a sports bar for 4 + hours and make decent decisions surrounded by food & drink???
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Usually the biggest argument I've gotten into was "a calorie is just a calorie and it doesn't matter what kind of food it comes from." I disagree and have plenty of research to support why the foods you eat impact your weight loss and overall health far beyond calories. That really bothers some people, lol. But I'm not interested in arguing anymore. Wastes time I could be out exercising, cooking, or doing a hundred other more productive things.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I just gotten to the point I just dont care. I know what I am doing, I did my research while they just go off what the diet fad off from dr.oz or some celeb gossip magizen. I let it rolll of shoulders and just say "yeah that nice you go do that ----insert fad and/or new diet information based of mice----and let where you at in a three months'
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Oh another one - "it's easy for you to lose weight and exercise" ......

ARGH, no it isn't! I wake up at 5 for work and do 12 hour days, do extra project work, still have to try and have a social life and have to monitor every calorie, log and get in a gym session everyday to be "ok". As soon as I don't, I put on weight. Every time. I just drag myself, even when I'm so tired I could sleep standing up!

Yeah, I have a 16month old daughter. I wait until my wife and daughter have gone to bed and then go to bed (most days) or we have to have left-overs or something in the crockpot for dinner so my daughter can eat on her schedule IF I go for a run after work which doesn't happen much during the winter (that's what the treadmill is for)
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I gave up arguing a long time ago. It used to be, that people who jumped on my bandwagon soon jumped off and gave up because there were no immediate results. It would upset me, but now I just shrug and think "dig your own grave." If it was that important to them, they'd stick with it.