What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Tortilla wraps. Some of them are over 300 calories before you even put anything inside them. I've tried a bunch of the low-carb, higher fiber ones and I don't like the texture of most of them. So I just make a salad or use a sandwich thin.

Alcohol. I like wine and beer, but I rarely drink them anymore simply because I don't want to have to log the calories. (I don't like hard alcohol).
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    A little off topic but I was surprised to learn that,of the 600,000 prepackeged foods avaialable in America,80% of them contain sugar in one form or another.When I read that I checked out the taco kit I got for my kids dinner.Soft shells,taco seassoning and taco sauce all contained sugar or corn syrup or both.No wonder America is so fat with all this sugar hidden in foods we wouldn't think of as sweets.Read your labels!
  • happy_travels
    happy_travels Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Biscuits

Tortillas

I like to have "bites" of these off of other peoples plates but recently I found out that just 1 OUNCE of a biscuit is over 100k. Geeze.
  • junkmama1
    junkmama1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter!
  • Julesconan
    Options
    Home made wholemeal, banana muffins, heres me thinking I was being "healthy" by not touching the biccies and chocolate.

Also was shocked re: corn, It WAS the most common vege eaten in my household
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    NUTELLA. </3

I have never bought it before, but the first time i tried it i was in love. I was like "I am going to go buy this stuff right now." Looked at the nutrition label and almost fainted.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Definitely peanut butter!

Same for me. I LOVE PB, it hurt too see that :laugh:
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    definitely bagels and tortillas. I LOVE bagels! And, hey, wraps are always on the healthy part of the menus! Too bad the tortilla is CRAZY high in calories!

**on the flip side, was VERY pleasantly surprised to see that tostadas are not bad at all! Being mindful of the sodium content of course (because there's a HUGE range in different brands), I'll crunch up one or two tostada shells and have a yummy taco salad with turkey meat!
  • Celuwen
    Celuwen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Cheese, I knew it was high but I was surprised by how high.

Plus, sweetcorn, chocolate, processed foods in general, certain fruits, sausages, bread based products, fruit juice,

Conversely, I was happily surprised by the calories in eggs, bacon, beans, lean meats, certain vegetables, potatoes,

I think my biggest shocked moment was how small portions were compared to what I thought they were.
  • Celuwen
    Celuwen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've been less shocked by calories than sodium.

Oh yes! I knew stock cubes were bad, but oh wow. Plus pre-canned soup.

Sugar seems to be in everything processed too.
  • pjaenen
    pjaenen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    oops! ou don't take the hit, everybody else does. (hee hee)
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    A little off topic but I was surprised to learn that,of the 600,000 prepackeged foods avaialable in America,80% of them contain sugar in one form or another.When I read that I checked out the taco kit I got for my kids dinner.Soft shells,taco seassoning and taco sauce all contained sugar or corn syrup or both.No wonder America is so fat with all this sugar hidden in foods we wouldn't think of as sweets.Read your labels!

Yes, I know!!! This is so irritating to me.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    A little off topic but I was surprised to learn that,of the 600,000 prepackeged foods avaialable in America,80% of them contain sugar in one form or another.<snip>Read your labels!
    And keep an eye out for code words like "evaporated cane juice". It's sugar, too. Meanwhile, Big Food is trying to get permission to label high-fructose corny syrup as "corn sugar".
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Definitely peanut butter!

This, and it makes me so sad, because peanut butter is delicious and healthy. But I can only allow myself a little each day or I'll ruin my calorie goals :(

If you get Natural peanut butter, it's so much better for you! It may be a little higher in calories/fat, but if you stick with just a tablespoon or so, it isn't bad at all- it actually has good fat in it! :)

Katie, great point! I think people get too worried about the calories in some foods. Avocados, nuts and peanuts may be calorically heavy but they provide essential oils and fats that we all need!

I didn't read through all 9 pages, so I'm sorry if someone already mentioned this. A great alternative to peanut butter is PB2, made by Bell Plantation. It's powdered peanut butter for only like 45 calories 2 tbsp and 1/3 of the fat. Just add water. I was skeptical when I heard about it but it's actually very good and works great in smoothies or protein shakes. You can just google Bell Plantation.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Juice and all candy. How can a few of those little Hershey kisses equal the same amount of calories as in a medium sized apple?? It was really eye-opening to see the numbers!! :noway:
  • HOLLEE85
    Options
    If you look on pinterest there is a recipe for a cauliflower pizza crust......A LOT more healthy then a dough or tortilla crust.
  • LeCo56
    LeCo56 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles, eat the whole block, 390 calories.
  • athenad121
    athenad121 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Olive oil! I never thought it was good for you, don't get me wrong, but I added a drizzel of it to my otherwise plain salad and MFP said it was 119cal for one tablespoo!!. Makes me dread to think of foods that are olive oil based and that I love, like tzatziki
  • athenad121
    athenad121 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sorry meant to post a response to the tzatziki comment. I come from a Greek family and we've never made it with it olive oil. I make mine with fat free plain Greek yogurt, grated cucumber, lemon juice and a little garlic. It turns out really good!
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Olive oil! I never thought it was good for you, don't get me wrong, but I added a drizzel of it to my otherwise plain salad and MFP said it was 119cal for one tablespoo!!. Makes me dread to think of foods that are olive oil based and that I love, like tzatziki

Tzatziki is yogourt based, not olive oil.