WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi all (If I was from a little (well a lot) further down that would be Hi Y'all)
    Good day, minimum amount of snow, very little shovelling, things still look white and fluffy.
    Linder - how terrific - 101!!!
    I'm yawning like a fool tonight so this will be short. Have to get a good sleep because I'm the hot chocolate lady at the Variety Club Winter Carnival tomorrow. It's only for a couple of hours.

Then on Sunday I'm going to Robbie Burns dinner at church and I absolutely love haggis. The lady making here is one I bowl with and she makes an amazing haggis. Too bad they won't have scotch because I rather like that as well.

DeeDee - ick worms. A dead bear trumps that though. Glad you have water again.

Meg - the undies shuffle made me laugh. Enjoy some pretty new ones. Which reminds me, the lingerie shop in the next town has their winter sale on tomorrow - ooooh!

Night all, just too sleepy to think right now.
    Lila from Fruitvale in the snowy Kootenays, BC Canada
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

Michelle - nope, I don't eat fish. No flesh whatsoever. I've never missed meat.

Robin - yay! You get to see your girls!

I don't know if you remember me saying that I was going to attempt not to buy any new clothes until March. Well, I'm doing ok so far. The only thing I've bought is some extra thick tights one day when I was so cold at work, I just had to nip out and buy a pair. The only thing I'm struggling with is not buying shoes! I really am a shoe addict and the new styles are in the windows that I have to pass every day. My resolve must stand.

One thing that I'm trying to do is drink more water. I always manage at least 2 litres a day - usually much more, but I want to try to drink more while I'm at work. A good side effect of this is that the loo is up 3 flights of stairs, so I get a bit of extra exercise too. Also, I'm trying to make it a rule not to call anybody on the extensions in the gallery when possible - I try to actually go to them and speak face to face. As just about everyone is on a different floor, this means more stair climbing too. It all helps.

Must do some work!

Have a great weekend my friends.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Lila:smile: Your doggie bear rolling absolutely trumps a worm:laugh: ! We don`t normally have bears around here, can`t say I`ve ever seen one that hasn`t been in a zoo!

Okay what is haggis? I feel very ignorant, I have no clue what it is:embarassed: .

Michele:smile: You can send some of those swiss chocolates my way:bigsmile: , oh no, don`t do it, the scale would not be nice to me:sad: ! Have you tried freezing them, keeps them out of sight and then you have to let it thaw a bit before you can eat it. I find when it`s too much work to have something, I pass on it:laugh: !

Amanda:smile: I love shoes too:love: , and I have a good friend that owns a great shoe store, I get myself in trouble every time I go in:embarassed: . I just bought a great pair of cream and black open toe high heels:bigsmile: , they are so sexy:blushing: . Now I have to find somewhere to go to wear them! Good for you for finding more ways to get exercised in! I find now I park way out in the parking lot and get extra steps that way, even in the rain I do it!

I`m having to wait to get my walk this morning, it`s icy outside and 23 degrees. I do not want to slip, slide and bust the behind today, however by noon I should be able to go outside with no problem!

Hope everyone has a fabulous Saturday!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in cold icy NC
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!

Just a quick hello and thanks for all of the motivation. I have a house to clean, lesson plans to write, tests to grade, and report cards to do. I will do my intervals (probably on the bike) and a workout with the kettlebell. Tomorrow is supposed to be a bit warmer, so we are going to ski or hike. I need to work efficiently today, so must stay off the computer!

Have a great day!

Deb A
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Did read over all the posts but took notes on the last one. Just to busy in here to keep up.

Sue
    Playing golf in Jan. The only way they'd play here is on a frozen lake.

Michele
    I was fooling around in U tube and asked for stand up exercise. And got a Jillian's site. Easy enough lots of stretching.
    You will but have a sliver of the cake. Won't hurt you.

Renny
    Stress on the job on friday is always better than Monday.
    Enjoy your supper tonight.

Amanda
    Happy stairs to you.

Deedee
    I have had bears watching me pick berries. If they see you first there gone.
    Nice shoes now find a party to wear them.

Saturday and another week done. Darn wii showed a wii gain this morning but what to heck take it as is. And march on.
    While on the wii did 10 min. of balance. We should have a contest see who scores the highest at the one putting the balls in the holes I like that one.

Well going to see that today is a great day even though it's Sat. Went to groceries yesterday and no reason not to.
    Went downstairs yesterday put batteries in my threadmill and rowing machine. It's more encouraging when you see what your doing. Got 15 min. on those not much but enough to get my BS down. That's what I needed.

Take care all See all lighter

Linda C in the warmer Northern Ontario.
  • ohiomomof2
    ohiomomof2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all!

I'm on my way out the door so will come back later and read the last couple of pages.

I have to mention one thing before I rush out. I joined MFP months ago, recorded my weight and then allowed lots of other things to get in the way of focusing on the lifestyle changes I needed to make. When I came back to the site 3 weeks ago, I had gained almost 6 pounds but was finally ready to get serious. Since then, I've given up my (beloved) Dr Pepper, other unhealthy snack foods and really pushed myself to eat in a more healthy way as well as exercise more. Got on the scale today and I am down a pound from my original weight. That's a total of 7 pounds in about 3 weeks and I really feel like I did it the right way. I have a lot more to lose but I was so excited to break through that initial weight that I had to share. Thank you all for being so encouraging and inspirational and for sharing the little helpful tidbits that are scattered throughout your posts.

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • emtjab
    emtjab Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Morning...

Katia.....WOOO HOOOO! Congrats! Can't wait till I can buy a smaller pair of jeans! that's just awesome!!!

busy day here...going to the mall of america's Ice Castle today....fun fun!

Julie
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Love reading all the posts here, and totally want to join in the fun. Made my first goal of 20 lbs before I found MFP. But since I've joined, I've fluctuated between 5 under and five over. Can't seem to break the pattern. Grrrrr....Tried the Eat More 2 Lose More challenge in May-July. Didn't work. Then, had friends from Europe come for a 3-week visit Aug-Sept. They make chocolate for a living and brought 8 pounds of it with them. Fortunately, one was on Weight Watchers, so we made a point to exercise every day. But overall, we ate too much. Then two funerals and traveling in Sept. Started getting back to normal in Oct. Developed carpal tunnel and median nerve compression in right arm in Nov - less exercise (no swimming, no weight lifting). Started back with full time exercise the week before Christmas. Last two weeks have been dealing with bad case of bursitis in my hip - no exercise at all this week as the pain became the take-my-breath-away kind upon standing and walking. MAJOR frustration. Using the RICE method on hip - 1600mg ibuprophen and ice 3 x day. Appears to be working. But having a hard time getting back on the healthy food track after all that. So, hoping things like the veggie challenge and some group inspiration will help.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday!

Page 8 of part 3 and still a few days left in the month. I started trying to catch up, but it is just too much for the time I have to post.

My wining statements:
    -still having Internet issues and can't log at work like I use to.
    - the Wii is out of commission and I can't find my old exercise DVDs.
    -with hubby disabled now and still not able to get disability or SS, too poor to buy good food and still eat all week.

Now that I got that out of the way......
    I am getting on the exercise bike more, just wish the room was warmer. The "wind" it produces gives us all the shivers.
    My goals today are to clean the house, play with the horses and walk the dogs.

I hope you are all doing well. I did read where some of you are working on belly fat. Pelvic lifts, side planks (even with the knees bent), and leg lifts or marching while laying down. More commonly referred to as ButnGut works real well. I started back to it last week, hope to get back where I was with it.

Jeannie from NM
  • nonnicee
    Options
    Hi everyone, I found the message board and loved all the comments. I have been on MFP since September or October 2012. I love the food diary and am trying to use it move regularly. I love how you all read the posts them put comments to each other in your post. It seems like a big party. I don't have many friends on MFP and am looking to add some. I would love to join in your party. Please friend me so I can join in. Thanks, Mary
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It was sleep in "Saturday":bigsmile:

I read the posts but didn't take notes so only a few stuck in my head...

Lin-:flowerforyou: awesome loss and meeting that milestone.

Amanda- you are such an inspiration....setting goals of more water and then doing the stairs to talk with co workers...so smart of you :drinker:

Meg-:laugh: :laugh: just picturing you step, step, step..hide and tug:laugh: :laugh: Yep it's time to get new unders:noway: What a great NSV that is.

Michele- I wish I didn't like carrot cake...when ever I'm someplace that has it I just have to try it...like last night I did and it wasn't very good so a total waste of calories:sad:

I got my exercise in yesterday before hubby got home from work and we took off to do our shopping. Must say it felt good to have it done and out of the way. This past week I finally have gotten into a pattern of working out with my weights and am hoping to keep it up and keep adding some additional workouts with it. It's amazing how it really makes me feel better when I'm done.. gotta remember that.

Thank you all for the kind words about the loss of my Uncle. That "Greatest Generation" is leaving us at a great rate and it's true we will be missing a lot when they are gone. When Memorial Day comes we will have one more to remember.

I have a lot to get done today, and Peanut has decided he wanted to be on my lap while I'm sitting here at the computer (makes for a typing challenge) I will be making my six week bran rasin muffins so I will have those for my breaks at work during the week and when they are baking the smell is wonderful. When hubby gets up I'll get breakfast done then we have to clean the hot tub, laundry, floors and all the rest of what a house cleaning Saturday holds.

Must go Everyone have a good Saturday....remember to log it ALL:drinker:

Laura 80111 in Colorado:smile:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    M: Reds skies at night, sailors delight. Red skies at morn, sailors be warned. I wouldn’t want to suggest you start off on a voyage with a red dawn, but you can use your judgment. Stay home if there is dense fog or black skies with lightning. Just call me sailor girl.:laugh:

Megblair1: Congratulations on your NSV! I’m looking forward to a smaller underwear NSV some day in the future. It has never happened in my whole life.:grumble:

lpinawml: Good luck on your first 20. That is a big chunk and I hope you’ll celebrate the small steps it takes to get there with us. Join the Y now, and I bet you’ll enjoy it and get to your goal even faster.:wink:

Judy: Congratulations all around. Being active lifts my mood and improves confidence, too, but you’re really going all out. I admire that in a woman.:bigsmile:

Julie: I call my kids, too, even though they’re in their 30’s. . My mom did it for me until the day I needed to put her into assisted living. Then it was my turn to take care of her.:heart:

DeeDee: Haggis is a traditional Scottish dish. The recipes I’ve read call for boiling oats in a sheep’s stomach. I’ve decided that I’m not doing that, even though DH is of Scottish descent. His Scottish mother was the worst cook whose food I’ve ever been obliged to eat. I imagine there are great Scottish chefs out there, but my MIL wasn’t one of them.:tongue::sick: :tongue:

Ohiomomof 2: Congratulations on your loss. Seven pounds in such a short time seems remarkable. :happy:

50ishFoodie: Bursitis in my left knee is what motivated me to get started. Sorry to report that is still a bother, although it is better than it was by a large measure. I started out with yoga, then added walking-slower than usual. My walking speed is improving. Good luck with your journey to health.:flowerforyou:

Jeannie from NM: Sorry to hear about your problems. I hope they improve and things get easier.:flowerforyou:

nonnicee: All you have to do to join is post. Welcome.:smile:

We will actually be having a social life this weekend. Today is our sailing club winter meeting and we’ll get to see our good friends. I’m looking forward to it. We play on the water together all summer long. Tomorrow our niece is having a grand opening for her new business. She and a friend have opened a resale shop called Retro Revival in a cute little old house at the foot of the hill in Oregon City. She seems to be loving being in business.:love:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    nonnicee- Welcome to the best supportive group of women! You have joined just by posting so that you can find us again under "my topics".

Deb A from CNY
  • DisciplineIsFreedom
    Options
    Hi to the newbies. I'm new, too.

It seems like a good group of friends in here. Hope there is room for more!

Love MFP.

Have a great day everyone!!!

Janice
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Pic of me was taken about 5 yrs ago with short hair; it is my inspiration as I want to go short again in the Spring. We've been having such Spring-like weather here in Dallas but it's only January. The new year has started out in full swing for me.

I have been kept relatively busy with work which is good. I am also working on getting back into the swing of my new lifestyle (diet). I am just about there. Today I tried the Fiber One Honey Squares cereal. The taste was good with a little crunch. I didn't need to add any additional sweetener as the honey did the trick. And it only has 80 calories per serving. With the additional fiber it also cuts the carbs way back. Of course you get a small box at the cost of a big box of Fruit Loops...:laugh:

I do pop over here and read posts but don't always get around to posting. Of all the threads on MFP this one has to my favorite with Sneakers a close second. Some of you ladies are my friends and I am able to keep up with you there. Unlike Facebook, the home page doesn't seem to be the primary choice of communicating with one another.

Now that I have rambled on so I am once more shifting gears and moving on. I do hope all are blessed with a happy, healthy and peaceful Saturday. Until we meet again blessings my friends.
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hello, Ladies!

I've missed you this past week, but just haven't had a spare moment to get to the posts. Thank you for the birthday wishes, Laura! I'm now 54, and hoping it will be a wonderful year. My daughter sent me eye shadow palettes that came with three instruction cards each with how to apply the colors for different looks, so I'm checking it out.

I spent yesterday at the VA with my father again. He's getting discouraged and depressed, wondering if it would be better just to die. Not the kind of talk I like to hear. They feel that he is as well under control as he is going to be with over a dozen medications, but they can't do anything more for his heart. We start skin cancer removal, cataract consultations and denture molding all in the next month. Then there are my mother's doctor appointments -- I live at the doctors' offices!

I'd like an opinion from all of the nurses in the group, please. I went outside Kaiser for another foot consultation, and got hugely different answers. This doctor said to try cortizone shots first, that casting wouldn't help any, and that he'd remove the sesamoids before he'd fuse the foot. I'd certainly prefer to try shots before I tried being in a cast for two months, but my Kaiser doctor says that she'd do the cortizone only as a last resort, because the sesamoids don't have good blood flow. I don't know what that means (she wrote it, so I couldn't ask). What detrimental effect could the cortizone have because of that? The new doctor did say that you couldn't do more than 3 shots, as more than that could damage the joint.

Our son just canceled his spring semester classes, and my husband is absolutely furious. Son says he is changing majors and transferring to a different campus, and that his classes this semester wouldn't apply to the new major so he doesn't want to waste his time and our money taking them. He says he'll be back in school fall semester, and he'll look for a job and travel in the meantime. This will also mean that we'll be paying for a 5th year of college. We currently pay all of our son's expenses, and hubby says that is stopping completely until he is back in school. This worries me, as son doesn't have much money of his own and he is talking about traveling with what he does have. I'm pretty sure he isn't thinking about covering his lease, etc. if he takes off for a while. Maybe it will be a wake-up call for him, but I can't leave him penniless so will start having problems with hubby over it.

So much for my rant of the day! I hope you all have a great one!

Jane in Colorado
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone! Had a fun night last night – went to a friend’s going-away party (she’s moving to the next town over) and saw a lot of people I don’t often see. I had a light dinner before I went and had saved up a lot of calories, but I still was pretty reasonable – I had one very small magic bar cookie and part of my sister’s blackberry tarts. I also had a little cheese, but just a couple (it was smoked gouda, which I despise but didn’t know). Some wine, some friends – good time. We had snow here yesterday which made everything sparkly and white and beautiful too.

Katla, your sailing club sounds fun! Best wishes to your niece – my mom was born in and we used to live near Oregon City – fun place. Do watch the weather and sunrises though :smile:. Congratulations on buying smaller jeans! And I agree, it is a stop on the way, but it will be nice to have some fitting clothes that show off your shrinking figure.

Laura, aren’t weekends the best? I’m with you – get the exercise out of the way and get on with the day. Have a wonderful weekend.

Jeannie, I’m so sorry about all your troubles – it sounds like a lot to take in. Don’t be afraid to wear more clothes when you’re working out or at least starting out – I often wear a sweatshirt to start, then discard when I warm up. Thinking good thoughts for you.

50ishFoodie – welcome and hopefully you’ll find some inspiration and support here. Good luck with all the pains – isn’t growing old a pain? :laugh:

Julie, have fun – the ice castle sounds like a great time. Congratulations on the weight loss. It will keep going down over time – just give it a break if it’s not being kind to you on a daily basis (but don’t break it :wink:. Washing a dog is a lot of work – washing four of them – that’s a ton of work!

Ohiomom, that’s a great weight loss – and you’re right, giving up soda is a step in the right direction. Keep coming back for more ideas and support.

LindaC, we trust you (that you read over everything ) lol :laugh:. Have fun on the exercise equipment with the fresh batteries.

DebA, skiing and hiking – have a great time! I read the other day that it was so cold up in NH they had to actually close the ski slopes (-48). Enjoy your “heat wave.” :laugh:

DeeDee, haggis is a type of breakfast sausage (similar to scrapple) made with oats instead of cornmeal. They grind all the parts and pieces together with spices and oats, then boil it in a sheep’s stomach or some sort of bag, then slice, fry and serve with broiled tomatoes, etc. for a traditional Scottish breakfast. Yum . . . ahem. I don’t blame you for not wanting to slip on the ice – it’s not very forgiving going down or getting up!

Amanda, hold on – the shoe styles for summer will be totally different from the ones in the windows right now, so just wait. I remember you talking about your sparkly wardrobe lol. Also laughing at having to exercise to “exercise the loo.” I used to get so mad at DH when he would text DSD from the kitchen to her bedroom – walk into the other room and talk to her! However I catch myself doing it now. Sigh.

Lila, have a good time handing out the hot chocolate today – and the Robbie Burns dinner.

Renny, good luck with the training.

Michele, stay warm – I bet people don’t have to say that too often to you :laugh:.

Sue from TX, brr indeed! I hope your foot injury is a temporary thing. Strain? I usually don’t eat as much when I’m hurting – it’s only when I’m feeling sick that I eat more (I tend to want to put stress on whatever’s hurting for some very odd reason – sleep on surgery sites or sore arms/shoulders, etc. ).

Meg, watch out for that heat wave there! :laugh: I’m also focusing on drinking more water – I’m always amazed at how often I think I’m hungry when really I’m dehydrated. That’s a great NSV!!! You’ve done really well if your undies are a’slidin’! I’ve had a headache for a week – I thought it was from drinking too much wine on my birthday, but it’s actually from the drop in pressure as the storm rolled through here. I’m feeling much better now.

Robin, have a great time in Vegas!

Ipina2mi, I was just reading the other day about the alkali diet – it sounds similar to how I eat in general but there seems to be a sort of “blood-type” element to it too – but it sounds like a reasonable diet regardless. If you’re over 50, you’ll want to start adding in strength training at some point although pilates and yoga both include good strength training with body weight. Good luck with the 12 pounds :drinker:.

Judy, CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!!! That’s terrific. I hope it’s all you wanted. Your exercise class sounds like a lot of hard work . . . er, I mean fun :smile:. Yes, exercise+self-control=self-confidence!

Karen, Yes, being healthy is the goal. You know if you’re eating right and watching your calories and exercising you’ll get there. Give yourself some time. I know, it can be frustrating a lot of the time – but eventually you won’t even pay attention to the scale because you’ll be eating right and exercising and that will just be how you live your life. It’s a great way to be!

Texasgal – what a beautiful picture! I tried to put up a picture of me on my birthday but it cut off my head – evidently wanted to zoom in on the cake :laugh:. I like to eat cereal as a snack, but sometimes I go a little crazy so I can’t do too much of it :smile:. That sounds like a great snack portion though. I enjoy hearing people ramble – so ramble away!

JaneH, I don’t have any advice for your foot issues but do wish you good luck in finding a good doctor who can help without additional surgery/casting. I can sympathize completely with you on your son – but I will say when DS dropped out of culinary school for a bit (he was taking a “sabbatical”) we made him get a job and cover his own costs – he soon realized it was better to finish school. I also sympathize with a kid who isn’t sure what he wants to do – but unfortunately if they aren’t sure, they need to find a way to fund themselves while they’re finding their way. It’s just the way life works. {{{hugs}}}

Welcome to all the newbies – come back often.

I finished my HIIT this morning, and now I’m off to take DSD to the movies and a little shopping. Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone!

Cheers,

M.
  • drj1955
    drj1955 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DisciplineIsFreedom
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome, Michele! I enjoyed reading your post!
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Ok, so tonight I am going to a Chili cookoff party. I've already filled up on my husband's entry. I have 971 calories left for the day. I believe I am going to drink them :drinker: