Texas hospital bans obese workers?

Options

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Would any of you feel more confident in a health care provider that has fit employees? Just wondering if anyone has rolled their eyes at taking heath advice from someone that is obese?

Personally, I trust people more that actually walk the walk. But that is me.

I am obese and do NOT want an obese doctor. I don't care what anybody thinks about it either. Everyone can play nice in the forum, but I'm gonna keep it real. Just like I don't want people with no success giving me advice on MFP, I don't want a fat assed doctor telling me what actions to take to lose weight.

This made me laugh out loud. Thank you. Gotta love people that keep it real. :flowerforyou:
  • LouPsych
    LouPsych Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse - worked Trauma for a number of years. My weight had absolutely nothing to do with how I did my job - NOTHING. My coworkers and patients will tell you the exact same thing. Mind you I have worked with other nurses who are/were larger than me who could not do the job; was it because of their weight, mindset, or both? I also was a smoker, but has since quit.

My theory is that I cannot be an advocate for health, to be a holistic nurse so to speak, if I cannot walk the walk. How sad to do chest compressions on a patient dying of heart failure due to years of cigarette smoking after I have just returned from a smoke break. What a POS I felt I was.

Why I didn't recognize my weight in the same health category as cigarette smoking remains a mystery to me. A problem I am addressing in the here and now.
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be told to quit smoking by a smoker and I don't want to be told to lose weight by someone fatter than me. A BMI of 35 is still obese, just not morbidly obese. I agree with this rule.
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    For anyone in the UK
    No names mentioned as that would be unfair.
    My friend (female) passed all the tests and interviews to get a job (same one as I do) and was told at the medical she was too big and was not offered the job. She was told if she lost 12st in 1 year she would be able to get the job without reapplying. This seems shortsighted and unfair. My job does involve walking down aisles on trains though which makes sense, as this would be difficult if you were rather overweight. I work as a guard/conductor on the railways and must be able to walk 3km on ballast (the stones around the track) to be able to protect a train in emergencies if necessary.
    I guess this is a safety critical job so maybe that is why you have to have a medical and be within a healthy weight range (whatever that really is). It still seems unfair but realistically makes sense. Regarding nurses, I can't see why a male or female of any size can't do their job efficiently, not everybody is privilleged to have access to all the information we have to share with each other on this website. I know people say you have to help yourself but before I found this place I thought I'd just eat 1200 cals and run a bit. I blame capitalism, government and advertising, but I'd have to break down my reasons as some parts of it are good I guess.
    My point is not everyone knows how to eat better and stay in shape so why prejudice against larger people.

Oh and one other point seen as I have ranted here. My friend got a gastric bypass, has now lost 14st and is pregnant and expecting in 2 months, she told bosses to stick the job and is extremely happy to be expecting so I guess that's a happy ending.
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Only applicants with a BMI of <35 are even considered for a job...And this is something that might catch on like only hiring nonsmokers...

Is anyone else outraged about this? They say that worker with a BMI >35 cannot do their job effectively! What a crock of crap. I do my job a hell of a lot better than people with BMIs of <20!

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/04/09/texas-hospital-fat-people-bmi-need-not-apply

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

Just as you oppose this based on generalizations, I am offended that you think you do superior work to me with my low BMI.

Were you "trying" to say that people should be hired based on their qualifications and ability to perform and not based on weight? This scenario would seem to make more sense, but reality is that many occupations have regulations. I was never able to model due to my short stature (what do you mean I wasn't pretty enough! Outrage! I will sue!!) Or join the military...it wasn't because of their weight restrictions, but fact is I'm just not a kick-*kitten* sort of girl... (Nope, didn't sue there, either)

I WILL tell you one line of sales at my local mall that always makes me smile - where they might THINK of having a certain "type" of employee... The kiosk that sells weight-loss products, and there is an extremely overweight person manning the desk. Nope, not buying their products... :laugh:
  • watergirlri
    watergirlri Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can totally see a fitness test, especially one focused on job requirements. Endurance to walk for long shifts, haul your butt quickly in cases of emergency and the ability to lift patients. There are plenty of people at about this BMI that could meet those requirements. They are either have a lot of muscle, or are active but overeat.

A slothful couch potato who survives on small quantities of junk food, might meet their BMI requirements, but not be as healthy and qualified.
  • sparkyval
    Options
    getting ready for hate responses here but I simply must comment. I totally disagree with the posts I have read. First if you are going to compare this to smoking..i work with smokers where smoking is not permitted...That doesn't stop them...they smoke everywhere with no regard. If I ask them to please step away from me...never mind they are not permitted to smoke, they tell me the smoke is not going my way and don't move. You can't make choices for people and so if a company is not non-profit then they have the right to avoid the drama and discord of attempting to juggle smokers and non-smokers...and by the way the legislation that has brought you companies being able to fire you for the color of your hair if they like let alone any other reason was put in place by Republicans lol...unless you are in a union at least here in PA they can fire you if they don't like the way you smile.
    Next we all need to wake up. Being overweight is not a condition that we can't control. It is a condition that is brought on ourselves by bad choices. When are we going to learn not to play victim and take responsibility for our own actions. If you want to eat more than you need then the consequence is being fat. The consequences for being fat is far reaching...social stigma, etc., etc., I am so glad I woke up and stopped feeling sorry for myself...I was fat because i ate more than I needed...it doesn't matter how difficult my life was...when I was fat I was not as good of an employee as I am now...if you think being overweight doesn't affect everything in your life including stamina, outlook, interpersonal relationships which in turn affect how well you function on a team and how well you do your job...you are incorrect. It is annoying and unproductive when you have to do the work of a co-worker because they are winded or have to take a break.
    Look around you at people who would die running to catch a bus....is this what the land of the free set out to be? Overindulged spoiled children who think people aren't being nice and aren't accepting them because they are fat? I love people...but just as if you are a heroin addict...that isn't who you really are and so I can accept you but not your habit...if you are fat then I can accept you and embrace you but not the lie that your fat is who you are....fat is a symptom of a very bad habit... you are the person inside ...want to overeat...expect people to treat you differently from those who don't...you have the right to eat and they have the right to have opinions.
  • ma_oeuvre
    ma_oeuvre Posts: 123
    Options
    All I can say, having read all these comments, is that I personally would be more concerned with getting good treatment in a hospital than I would finding a "healthy" role model. I don't think BMI or the lifestyle of the nurse says an awful lot about their expertise, qualifications, and other measures of knowledge.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    All I can say, having read all these comments, is that I personally would be more concerned with getting good treatment in a hospital than I would finding a "healthy" role model. I don't think BMI or the lifestyle of the nurse says an awful lot about their expertise, qualifications, and other measures of knowledge.

^^^THIS
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I would personally not feel comfortable providing patient education on health if I were obese, much like I could never tell my patients not to smoke if I smoked, but perhaps that is just me. I'd feel like a hypocrite.

For me, somewhat ridiculously, I relate a bit better to medical people who are a bit overweight. I'm less self-conscious and more open to frank discussions. I'm sure all medical people have seen fat people before - I just feel better naked in front of a person whose body is not perfect.

They also, often, have more applicable, real-world, tips and advice. For the same reason I found a doctor who was very close to my age.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You know, if that's what they want, they should serve healthy food in their hospital cafeteria, give nurses longer than 30 minutes for lunch, put in a small workout room with exercise machines, and have a lower patient-to-nurse ratio to cut back on stress for their workers. This is particularly important for people who work grave or swing, and even more important if they rotate shifts.

If they don't want obese workers, then they really need to take responsibility for some of the problems they are actively promoting. You can't expect healthy workers if you don't provide a healthy atmosphere.

This! Quite honestly, I've never worked for a hospital that offered a gym, adequate break time, or even a fair sick-leave policy. It's only been in the past year that they've started having healthy food options every day for staff and visitors. It's just kind of crazy to think that they expect their nurses to be role models of good health, and then make it difficult for them to do so.

That being said, I do work with a few nurses who are morbidly obese...and they certainly don't hustle in getting their work done, and try to find ANY excuse to get out of doing a task that requires them to get up and move around. LOL

BMI is not a good indicator of health, however, and should not be used as a defining factor in determining whether an employee is "worthy" of working for an organization.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Texas Dept of Corrections, the prison system, hires anyone as a prison guard....5'2 & 350#'s, dont matter what shape as long as they are breathing; and obamacare in essence is excluding elderly fat smokers....http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57565787/older-smokers-priced-out-of-obamacare/

People our world is turning into a nightmare.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Overweight and obese employees are statistically more expensive to provide healthcare for. By hiring people with lower BMI, they can reduce insurance costs and make their services more affordable for consumers Why should I pay more for anything because an employer is forced to hire heavier, more expensive employees.

Being obese is a choice. It may not be an easy thing to change but everyone can make the choice and do the work to lower their BMI.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think people in this thread aren't quite clear on the difference between overweight and obese.

i agree with this. i wouldnt want to take any professional health advice from anyone who's clearly unhealthy, and sorry but regardless of what people might wan to convince themselves of you can not bot be OBESE and healthy.

and for the record, i'd have the same opinion about someone with a 2 pack a day cigarette habit, 2 bopttle a day vodka habit or a 2 random sexual partner without protection habit. the only difference is that you can clearly see when someone is obese
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

It kind of makes me think of working within a bank, if you have horrible credit and have not made any effort to pay/maintain your debts, they screen you, and you will not be offered a job. Why? Because they dont want someone who owes money, cannot represent the banks expectations of their clients and esp. give advice if they havent been able to breathe it in and put it into practice in their own lives.

If you work in the financial sector you are typically subjected to a background check which includes an analysis of your credit report. People are denied employment in the banking sector all the time for having bad credit - even entry level teller positions.
  • Gianna5587
    Gianna5587 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You know, if that's what they want, they should serve healthy food in their hospital cafeteria, give nurses longer than 30 minutes for lunch, put in a small workout room with exercise machines, and have a lower patient-to-nurse ratio to cut back on stress for their workers. This is particularly important for people who work grave or swing, and even more important if they rotate shifts.

If they don't want obese workers, then they really need to take responsibility for some of the problems they are actively promoting. You can't expect healthy workers if you don't provide a healthy atmosphere.

This!

Yes, yes, YES!
  • llangstraat
    llangstraat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    That's pretty sad. If you looked around the hospital where I work, probably 35% of the employees would have a BMI greater than 35.

I will say that I was an excellent nurse with a BMI of 40, and although my quality of life is better with a BMI of 25, I don't think that my nursing practice would be improved, as I was always one of the best nurses on any floor that I worked.

One of the issues that hospitals face is that most are self-insured, meaning they create and fund their own employee insurance plan, which means that they absorb the costs that chronically ill and very unhealthy employees incur. Unfortunately, the few extremely unhealthy employees are the ones that cost the most money to the insurance plan. It probably makes business sense to weed out the employees who have expensive chronic illness like uncontrolled diabetes and heart disease. Eliminating morbidly obese employees would probably benefit their health plans to a certain extent.

Unfortunately, you cannot measure intelligence, compassion and experience with BMI, so once again, hospitals are forgetting that providing the absolute best quality patient care should come before the accounting numbers. Sad state of affairs and the reason that health care in the US is failing at such a great rate compared to the health care in the rest of the world. As long as accountants and MBAs run hospitals, patient care will suffer.

I too work in a hospital and agree.....Pretty sad :(
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not outraged by this, If you can't take care of yourself in this field and it effects your ability to do your job compared to a healthier individual why should you be entitled to the position. The hospital doesn't owe you a position. Not to mention hospirals often gives great medical insurance coverage to their employees, if you don't think company's are not going to start being penalized for offering coverage to people who don't take care of themselves you'd be wrong. Fact is if you have 2 applicants to a position that requires you to be active, one is out if shape and unhealthy the other a healthier individual, in the healthcare industry mind you, which one do you think you should hire. This is just the beginning of the health care industry as well as other industries being proactive against this issue. I'm a student nurse.

I'm not sure where to start on this. First I agree with this as quoted. I think the same applies regarding any emergency responders. Years ago the city I lived in was taken to task over hiring practices in the fire department. (Affirmative action and whether the candidates were being hired for their capabilities or whether there were quotas. ) At the end of the day I want qualified people to get jobs. I don't care if they are overweight or smokers. IMO if you can do the job to the same standards of any of your co-workers weight, age, sex has no bearing.

In the private sector however, if the employer has a specific requirement regarding hiring practices. (ie. hiring Ivy league only, specific nationalities...) while I find it personally wrong, I think that businesses have the right to decide who they want to represent them. Just as I have the right to boycott their products. This likely won't be the popular opinion but bias exists. Better the devil you know if you ask me.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Have to say that I'm in the camp with those who have no problem with this - and that is coming from someone who lives in Texas and whose BMI would not, currently, make the grade.

When my wife's mother was dying of emphysema, it perplexed her to no end that the nurses who were monitoring her mom's lung machine were the same ones ducking out for a quick smoke during their break time.

Same thing applies to me as a (currently) morbidly obese middle aged man. It never held much weight to me (no pun intended) to be getting nutritional and weight loss advice from a practitioner who was in the same boat as myself or even worse shape.

No apologies, but the advice just rings more true to me if it is coming from a source that is practicing what they preach.

Let's face it, how many of us here would be comfortable at the dentist's office if the smile coming back to us from the other side of the chair looked something like this?:

pr017-07-decaying-teeth.gif

or this?:

bad-teeth-7.jpg

Seriously, they could be the best dentist on the planet but I would imagine that there is not a single one of us here that would trust a word of what they said if the smiles above came from our dentist.

The issue is not different if applied to your nurse or doctor.
  • justrun52
    justrun52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that if you're working within a hospital, for whatever inside or outside company, you represent them, so you should also represent what they stand for, health.

It kind of makes me think of working within a bank, if you have horrible credit and have not made any effort to pay/maintain your debts, they screen you, and you will not be offered a job. Why? Because they dont want someone who owes money, cannot represent the banks expectations of their clients and esp. give advice if they havent been able to breathe it in and put it into practice in their own lives.

This is how I see it too, however I think we're going to be in the minority here.

I agree, I don't agree with going by an individual's BMI (there should be a more effective way of determining health), but it's part of the job. Just like models have to look a certain way for their industry, and how fitness trainers have to be/look a certain way for their job.