Member of Gym or workout at home/outside?

Options

Replies

• spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I do both. I walk 2 miles in 30 minutes to a Leslie Sansone dvd M-F at 5:30am and also walk 1 mile or more in 20 minutes on my lunch hour in my office halls M-F. I try to get to the gym M-Thurs. also for 1 -2 hours. I do cardio only on M and W and do weight machines first then cardio on T and Thursday. I go on the weekends too if not busy. I just started the gym thing last Fri and have went Fri, Sun, Mon, Tues and Thursday and I love it. Trying to get rid of these last 5-15 pounds for my personal goal and tone up some!
    Good luck!
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have social anxiety and in turn don't like being in crowds or in situations where I perceive myself as being watched. Therefore, I work out at home - I have a treadmill, recumbent bike, Wii Fit, work out dvd's...looking to add some weights and possibly an elliptical to the mix. I stay committed this way because I can do it without the constant worry that I am being watched or laughed at.
  • alvin0012
    alvin0012 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My gym is affordable. I just pay 35 dollars a month and no enrollment fee and since I walk everywhere we save money by just having one car.

I pay only $15 a month! Since I've been a member for more than 7 years they gave me a special discount... Ballyfitness :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    The only thing I dislike about the gym is the constant false advertising, fake contests to win free personal training, but actually it is a sales pitch trying to scam people into exorbitantly priced personal training, locking people into expensive and long term contracts without even giving one training session to see how you work with the personal trainer and how the personal trainer works. And they will actually sit there and argue that the long term is for your benefit, but really it's for their financial benefit. If you say you can't afford it, they will laugh in your face and not believe you.

I go to GOODLIFE FITNESS and they are hands down the worst with this, out of any gym I have gone to in the past 16 years. See here is their scam. They say they are giving you a FREE Personal Training Session, but then when you meet with them they say that they do not offer Free Personal Trainings Sessions and complain that they are not getting paid for this time they are talking with you. They don't want to talk to you unless you are going to listen to their sales pitch again (the same one they give you when you join and they tell you that a free personal training session comes with your membership). The absolute cheapest they offer is $1000 dollars (nothing less than that), and I've even had some personal trainers there say they offer nothing less than $2000 dollars unless you sign up right then and there for the $1000. http://www.goodlifefitness.com/PersonalTraining/
  • imadyer
    imadyer Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have a membership to the Y and love it. I also do some videos at home and get outdoor exercise. I do tend to work out longer when I go to the Y instead of using a tape at home.
  • busywifehealthylife
    Options
    I do both. But I have to say I LOVE having my membership at the YMCA, mainly for the classes. I do a boot camp class, zumba, yoga, spinning, and tai chi, depending on how my weeks go. And having the child care option there means I can actually work out and my 3 year old can run around and have fun with other kids instead of bugging me while I try to work out at home. When I can't get to the gym, I lift weights at home and mimic some of the HIIT stuff I have learned in boot camp. I also run outside when I get the chance. And a friend let me borrow P90X but I haven't committed to it yet.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I have a membership at our company gym and I do Taekwondo three times a week. On days I don't do either, I get my oldest girl to walk the neighborhood with me.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Gym- the Y.
    Like the fun & motivation of classes.
    Learned proper technique from instructor of weight lifting class.
  • AphelionPDX
    Options
    I work out at my gym 3-5x/week, and work out at home when I don't go to the gym. At the gym I only take classes because anything else is really boring to me. In the summer I spend more active time outside.
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    We are a retired couple so a gym is not really in our budget. We walk daily outside, but, have walked at the mall a few times if the weather is too cold. We both have fitbits with a goal of 10,000 daily minimum.

Marie
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    We invested in an incline treadmill and and eliptical both by NordicTrack and are very happy with them. I've tried but not found the gym atmosphere comfortable. I walk outside some.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym- I have tried several times in the past but it just didn't click with me. I really prefer just to lift in my home gym with some hiking and bike riding in between.
  • Amberchalon
    Amberchalon Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It's easy for me to come up with good and valid reasons why I can't go to the gym---working late, traffic blah blah...not so easy for me to come up with an excuse why I can't pop P90X or Jillian Michaels in!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I do all of the above...
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Since I started back working out in December 2012, I have been working out at home. Only because it's a situation of me having to work with what I have! In Feb. of this year i will be heading to my local YMCA to become a member with my kids and work out .
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Where we live, the gym is outrageous as far as prices go. They want to much so i have tons of dvds and would rather workout at home.
  • LWatson52
    Options
    I use both
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    My work has a gym we can use but who wants to go back to work to workout on days off? Not me! I only workout there sometimes.
    I do most of my workouts at home using ym elliptical and free weights. I also workout outside when it isnt raining hard. I jog and walk with my pup. I REALLY feel like I need a gym membership with classes though. I get distracted/bored so fast at home. I love being a gym member and meeting cool people and working out until I am shaking. I just don't get that at home at all.
  • GrEyedRose
    GrEyedRose Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I did have a membership and loved it. Cost of gas and time to drive there since it is not really close to my home made me quit. I do a lot of wiiFit and Zumba DVDs and take a lot of walks. I do miss the gym though!!!
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I love my gym. If I need pointers or advice, there are trainers available. If I need someone to push me when I can't push myself, there are great workout classes. There aren't any comfy couches or beds on which to rest. And if I want to watch TV, I have to do it on a cardio machine. Plus I get to meet awesome people! But on weekends when the weather is nice, I do enjoy exercising outside and I live walking distance from some great hiking trails.