should you really eat ALL your calories from excercise back?

Options

Replies

• AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Your goal is to lose weight, if youre full there is no logical reason to eat them back.
  • Claire_x90
    Options
    I started on here and was SO against it, I had the philosophy of burning eating calories not eating exercise ones. ... after a few months of heavy restricting binge eating became a huge problem and eating back exercise calories is a way I have helped to curb that.

do what works best for you, but if you eat more than you like don't stress cause exercise has you covered... eating it all back on purpose when you're not hungry is just silly and expensive

*edit, sometimes you don't feel hungry but your body does need more fuel, just keep that in mind
  • sonneta
    sonneta Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I don’t eat all my calories back after exercise you need to work out what your limit is I know your myfitnesspal say (Example 1200) but you can go under that before it says your not eating enough My minimum calorie intake is 1800 but I eat 1300 a day.
    If you cant make a fruit shake
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I started on here and was SO against it, I had the philosophy of burning eating calories not eating exercise ones. ... after a few months of heavy restricting binge eating became a huge problem and eating back exercise calories is a way I have helped to curb that.

do what works best for you, but if you eat more than you like don't stress cause exercise has you covered... eating it all back on purpose when you're not hungry is just silly and expensive

*edit, sometimes you don't feel hungry but your body does need more fuel, just keep that in mind

i think my 'feeling hungry' vibes were almost totally destroyed by a couple of bouts of my self-starving eating disorder a few years back.. i tend to forget to eat a lot because i don't often get hungry triggers, but i'm learning to recognise 'empty' and translate it as 'hungry' . . . realistically if the little i eat sustains me without excercise it makes sense to eat a bit more if i work out, i guess. thanks ;)
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options

THIS!!!!!
  • Mara_
    Mara_ Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Depends. If I only burn like 200 calories, and I know I have something special later that week (like a dinner or a party) I mostly don't eat them back (unless I'm hungry). I try to be at my calorie goal at the end of the week, so I tend to 'play' with my calories a bit (I have quite a high calorie 'allowance', so I have never the problem I eat too little, unless my stomach protests).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Your goal is to lose weight, if youre full there is no logical reason to eat them back.

There are many reasons to eat them back. A deficit is already included in the base.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I workout 5 times a week, do a job where i'm on my feet all day, and have 2 small children to run round after, but I stick to my 1500 calories a day and never eat back my exercise calories. My personal trainer thinks that 1500 is a perfect calorie goal for me, and I don't need to eat exercise calories. I go by what he says!
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options
    There are many reasons to eat them back. A deficit is already included in the base.

such as???
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

such as???

Such as not creating too large of a deficit and the issues that go around that.

Good reading:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/setting-the-deficit-small-moderate-or-large.html
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

You need to understand how MFP works, it would give 2 people of the same size and job the same calorie target, as it excludes exercise calories.

now if one of those people was a couch potato, and the other one a marathon runner, do you still think they should eat the same, as that's what you are suggesting by not eating back exercise calories.

this may help

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    yes eat them back if you only set on 1200-1600
  • butterflyqueen1984
    butterflyqueen1984 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I eat them if im hungry, if you are not hungry dont force yourself to eat them. Listen to your body and you will know what to do :D

I think for me, this is the right answer! It works with me
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options

You need to understand how MFP works, it would give 2 people of the same size and job the same calorie target, as it excludes exercise calories.

now if one of those people was a couch potato, and the other one a marathon runner, do you still think they should eat the same, as that's what you are suggesting by not eating back exercise calories.

this may help

do you really believe a 120lb female marathon runner would be full on the same diet as a 120lb female couch potato. Not Possible! Unless your body has some serious defects. I dont think you gals are giving the body enough credit.

If youre tricking yourself into not being hungry thats a different story, but if youre full and a healthy person there is no need to eat the calories back.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

this may help

do you really believe a 120lb female marathon runner would be full on the same diet as a 120lb female couch potato. Not Possible! Unless your body has some serious defects. I dont think you gals are giving the body enough credit.

If youre tricking yourself into not being hungry thats a different story, but if youre full and a healthy person there is no need to eat the calories back.

I don't understand your point in the first paragraph. That is exactly the point that was being made.

Read the link I provided.

ETA: here it is: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/setting-the-deficit-small-moderate-or-large.html
  • AnabolicKyle
    Options

this may help

I don't understand your point in the first paragraph. That is exactly the point that was being made.

Read the link I provided.

ETA: here it is: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/setting-the-deficit-small-moderate-or-large.html

Read!

Dont understand why you would eat back Cal plz explain.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i actually tried to load one and it crashed my internet. might have been a coincidence, but hey....

They are just links to other threads in this forum, should not cause any crashes hmmmm....

tried again - it's too much for me. to be honest, i want easy answers (yes or no, not easy options) , not scientific formula... if I get confused, I'll stop trying. So thanks to those who posted but thats not how I'm going to succeed at this. I don't want to get THAT caught up in the numbers.

in other words, "if it's hard, you don't want to do it."
  • emzypemzy93
    Options
    I don't. I don't understand why I would want to. The whole point is to LOSE weight and create a deficiency. Meh. It works for me!!
  • jellybeanasmommy
    Options

this may help

I'm pretty sure that was the point that was being made. Someone who is sedentary and someone who is very active have different caloric needs, however because their weight is the same MFP would most likely give them the same caloric intake goal. The difference in caloric needs would be then based on the amount of activity - the marathon runner would most likely need to consume many more calories than the couch potato even though their base caloric intake is the same based on their weight.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i actually tried to load one and it crashed my internet. might have been a coincidence, but hey....

They are just links to other threads in this forum, should not cause any crashes hmmmm....

tried again - it's too much for me. to be honest, i want easy answers (yes or no, not easy options) , not scientific formula... if I get confused, I'll stop trying. So thanks to those who posted but thats not how I'm going to succeed at this. I don't want to get THAT caught up in the numbers.

in other words, "if it's hard, you don't want to do it."

not at all. happy to put in hard work but know myself and i don't want to get that scientific about it. I'm sure I'm not the only one.