What do you do while working out?

Options

Replies

• elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, so when I'm on the treadmill I watch DVDs. It passes the time faster, because I concentrate on the show. If the weather is nice enough and I'm walking outside, I don't listen to anything. I'm not much of a music person, anyway, and I enjoy hearing nature sounds when I'm outside. Audio books are great, though!! Just no music.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I listen to music. The only exception is when I'm "cross training" (by which I mean I really need a day off from running but I'm so f'd in the head that I can't take a day off entirely) and riding a stationary bike. Then I'll read my Kindle or do something on my phone... makes it a little less torturous to spend an hour on there.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Reading while working out is ridiculous IMO if you're working hard enough you can't read. I don't do anything while I'm working out other than push push push.

This! How the heck do you read while doing "cardio". Must be super low impact.
  • Pema91
    Pema91 Posts: 44
    Options
    I tend to have music (some heavy metal always gets me moving ;)) But if I'm not lifting, where you do have to concentrate on what you are doing, I tend to just go inside my own head... Work out the days problems or plan the day ahead of me.
    I seldom get bored with an overactive imagination like mine!
  • frefrebelle
    frefrebelle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just finished watching all 4 seasons of Prison Break whilst working out - got a story line to keep you engaged, simple enough to follow even if you are sweating profusely and out of breath, enough action to get you motivated (it seems when they were having a punch up I managed to push harder as well) and there are enough cute chaps of different looks that you will probably fancy at least one of them.

Just looking for the next thing to watch...any suggestions gladly taken :)
  • therealsuperbigrob
    therealsuperbigrob Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Gasp for air, sweat, hope that the pain I'm feeling is not death saying come here. Seriously.
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I initially hated cardio and had almost no motivation for working out. Now I download episodes of The Biggest Loser and I play them while I'm on the elliptical. I am being motivated by their hard work (if they can do it I can do it) and time flies by while watching an episode or two. I love to dance so I can't really play my music on the elliptical. Almost fell off one time swaying to the music. :tongue:

I had to laugh, when I'm listening to music I am going with the rhythm and fighting the urge to dance! Music is best for me when doing weights.
  • Reneeisfat
    Reneeisfat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I watch tv and fit-people watch.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I swear at myself for getting so unfit in the first place and wheeze like a sex-pest.
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If I am on the turbo trainer I watch telly or DVDs which helps pass the time. When I'm walking I listen to radio 4 podcasts as I'm basically a boring old git!

(edit)

when I'm out cycling I just talk to myself for hours :)
  • JustTheBeebs
    JustTheBeebs Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    get in my own zone headphones in with music.
    Zone everyone else out so i concentrate on my own workout, im there for me.

Not to watch other people, perv on the hot girl in the gym on get annoyed when people jump on the treadmill next to me.....get over it!

so yeah i just pump myself up and do my own thing
  • sclarktiw
    sclarktiw Posts: 217
    Options
    I have been known to play PS3 while on my elliptical at home.

I would do that when I am at home on my turnarounds too! My wife would get cranky about it...unfortunately I dont have a stationary bike where I am staying so I cant do it otherwise I would have the world rid of zombies in no time flat!!!

So alas it is music on the iphone.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate indoor steady state cardio. So there is no need to add TV or music. I just don't do it. I get outside and walk, jog and run when I can. My indoor cardio is limited to putting my bike on the trainer and doing sprint sessions. When lifting (I have some weights in the basement) I typically play some classical music to help pass the resting times. I can block it out when actually doing the lifting.

Soon it will be warm enough and I can get back outside on my bike!!!
  • HOLLEE85
    Options
    Only music.....Music is my life
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    sweat.

This, only a lot.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Last couple of weeks I have had to try and NOT fall off equipment while following the Australian Open Tennis livescores in the morning, during my workout...!
    But normally - it is music all the way for me/half watching the subtitled news on the treadmill/elliptical
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I think, a lot. In fact i think i do my best thinking in the gym whilst i am working out.
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Tunes :-)
  • AussieTrainer
    Options
    I concentrate intensely on my body and the workout the entire time..
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Listening to music, watching the clock (in between sets), watching Sky Sports ticker feed, people watching, bullying myself to work harder, and daydreaming.